Need clarification: Do we have a right to do with our bodies what we want, or not?

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Is it a basic right to do what we wish with our bodies? I have 3 examples.

Abortion: The left wing and pro-abortion crowd argue a woman has a right to do what she wants with her body. So that leads me to......

Obamacare: If we have a right to do what we want with our body, do we thus have a right to leave our body uninsured? If I have a right to kill a growing child inside me...surely I have a right to simply not insure my body, right? Which leads to.....

Assisted suicide: It's illegal. But should it be? If I have a right to have a doctor kill a growing baby inside me because I don't want it....shouldn't I have the right to have him assist with killing myself, since I don't want my life? Or does the government have so much power over our bodies that it can not only force us to insure it, but enact the ultimate life insurance in banning you from killing yourself???

Just couldn't help but ask. But particularly the abortion/insurance question. It's my body. I can do what I want with my body, right? If so, why can't I allow my body to be uninsured?

Clarification: Once a child is formed inside your body you no longer have a exclusive rights to your body. As to when life begins ...

Yes and yes.
Certainly on the face of it you should be able to opt out of care and life if you choose.

I wouldn't want your dead or dying body lying in my street though.

Yes and yes.
Certainly on the face of it you should be able to opt out of care and life if you choose.

it's a terrible analogy. one is about exercising dominion over one's body (to a point); the other requires monetary investment... same as taxes or insuring one's motor vehicle. it does NOT require that one allow any medical procedures that one doesn't consent to or forego procedures that one wants.

Yes and yes.

it's a terrible analogy. one is about exercising dominion over one's body (to a point); the other requires monetary investment... same as taxes or insuring one's motor vehicle. it does NOT require that one allow any medical procedures that one doesn't consent to or forego procedures that one wants.

Ok, to clarify, opting out of medical care should be a right, but not if it means an imposition on others.
Pardon my brutal scenario.

Yes and yes.

To the car ins point ... but if you pay all year and have no claim why do we not get a refund. They definitely well if wisely invested made a huge profit from customers payments. Legal gambling?
Political payback just like a credit check for auto ins .... then they escalate over the years and at some point get out of control and it becomes a huge expense to fight and change down the road after we see our mistakes ... next up shit stain care

Abortion: The left wing and pro-abortion crowd argue a woman has a right to do what she wants with her body. So that leads me to......

Obamacare: If we have a right to do what we want with our body, do we thus have a right to leave our body uninsured? If I have a right to kill a growing child inside me...surely I have a right to simply not insure my body, right? Which leads to.....

Assisted suicide: It's illegal. But should it be? If I have a right to have a doctor kill a growing baby inside me because I don't want it....shouldn't I have the right to have him assist with killing myself, since I don't want my life? Or does the government have so much power over our bodies that it can not only force us to insure it, but enact the ultimate life insurance in banning you from killing yourself???

Just couldn't help but ask. But particularly the abortion/insurance question. It's my body. I can do what I want with my body, right? If so, why can't I allow my body to be uninsured?

On abortion: It's more than "my body, my right" (although that's part of it), it's also whether we want government intervention in a decision that should only be between a woman and her doctor. Unless your the woman or her doctor you should simply stay out of it.

On Obamacare: This goes to whether or not you have a right to push YOUR medical costs onto the rest of us. If you do not have medical insurance, and can't pay your bill, then you force the rest of us to pay for your care. So then your question becomes: Do I have a right to shirk my responsibility and make everyone else pay for my medical care? (Of course, this only applies if you can afford insurance but choose not to buy it.)

On Euthanasia: I agree totally. Once again this is between the doctor and patient.

Last edited:
Yes and yes.

Ok, to clarify, opting out of medical care should be a right, but not if it means an imposition on others.

we're all imposed upon. it's part of living in a society. i was imposed upon having my tax dollars used to wage two wars that should never have happened. and to be fair, we're the only "westernized" society that doesn't take care of the health needs of its people.

I'm not a fan of "Obamacare", and I absolutely, unequivocally, believe that assisted suicide should be legal.

I'm not sure what your point was.

we're all imposed upon. it's part of living in a society. i was imposed upon having my tax dollars used to wage two wars that should never have happened. and to be fair, we're the only "westernized" society that doesn't take care of the health needs of its people.

I'm confused what you're agreeing with.
Is it OK for someone to opt out of healthcare knowing that the decision is likely to be burden on others?

No sir.

As you know in 1935 the US adopted fascism as its socieconomic system. Under fascism the government owns your body and they ---not you - - determines what's right for you.

...The Fascist State organizes the nation, but leaves a sufficient margin of liberty to the individual; the latter is deprived of all useless and possibly harmful freedom, but retains what is essential; the deciding power in this question cannot be the individual, but the State alone....

Benito Mussolini
Franklin Delanus Roosevelt
Founding Fathers

Forum List

Back