Need Advice!

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
So from what Gunny has told me the National Guard will take you until you are 30. And I have been really thinking about joining. When I was a senior in high school I was very close to joining the military, I was very close to signing with the Navy but was talked out of it by my softball coach and former Army man. I think he just wanted me to play my last eligible year of summer fast pitch. :lol: And sometimes I regret that I didn't, even though I would have probably been sent over at the beginning of the war.
Now I am a single mom, and I know I would be able to provide for my son much more if I joined the National Guard. So I would like some advice, and no bullshit flames please.

Forget it.

The military doesn't give two shits about you. If you get hurt you're screwed. Active duty soldiers do not respect the Guard and Reserves. You get the hand-me-down equipment that is trashed by the active duty branches while they get the new stuff. You get assigned to all the shit details if you're attached to an active duty unit. As a female you cannot do the same jobs as the men, nor are you held to the same higher fitness standards the men are, so you'll lose the respect of your peers.

All this for, what, $400 or so a month? I say don't even think about it.

It's just two cents from a former soldier though. Take it or leave it, it doesn't matter to me.

My former sister in law joined when she was a single mom and she said it helped her out quite a bit. Plus through the years I have been very competitive, and during high school when we played team sports during PE I was told many times to stop being so aggressive, while the guys were never talked to. In PE floor hockey I was the only one talked to about too much contact, and during the 3 on 3 basketball tournment here in town, when we played co ed, my team had me guard the guys because I shut them down better than the guys on our team.
I have always just had this feeling something like military was perfect for me.

My former sister in law joined when she was a single mom and she said it helped her out quite a bit. Plus through the years I have been very competitive, and during high school when we played team sports during PE I was told many times to stop being so aggressive, while the guys were never talked to. In PE floor hockey I was the only one talked to about too much contact, and during the 3 on 3 basketball tournment here in town, when we played co ed, my team had me guard the guys because I shut them down better than the guys on our team.

As a single mom you will have to have a plan for your child when ( not if) you deploy. Someone that will take legal responsibility for the child for a year or more at a time. Further you will need a plan for those times you are called up on State wide emergencies.

As a single mom you will have to have a plan for your child when ( not if) you deploy. Someone that will take legal responsibility for the child for a year or more at a time. Further you will need a plan for those times you are called up on State wide emergencies.

OH!

Now, I get it!!!

You're discouraging, with FACTS.

Nice!

Is your LIFE worth what you're being PROMISED,

keeping in mind the ALL Vets have been SPIT UPON by "our gov"?

It is not. Sorry, but it just IS NOT.

OH!

Now, I get it!!!

You're discouraging, with FACTS.

Nice!

Is your LIFE worth what you're being PROMISED,

keeping in mind the ALL Vets have been SPIT UPON by "our gov"?

It is not. Sorry, but it just IS NOT.

Retard alert.

I have thought about that. Even though I am a single mom I have a very strong family base. My parents would probably watch him, but my many brothers and sister could also. I have one brother who is well off, and he would take my son in a heart beat.
I just figure, yes I would be gone for awhile, but my son would be better off in the long run. Right now, I am just trying to figure out the best way I can provide the life my son deserves.
Thank you, and even though we don't always get along I respect you.

I have thought about that. Even though I am a single mom I have a very strong family base. My parents would probably watch him, but my many brothers and sister could also. I have one brother who is well off, and he would take my son in a heart beat.
I just figure, yes I would be gone for awhile, but my son would be better off in the long run. Right now, I am just trying to figure out the best way I can provide the life my son deserves.

Seems to me that if you have the aptitudes to make a good soldier and it interests you, go for it. As long as you do have the family to care for your son. Not only would he be proud of your service, you would have a very good pension in 20 years. If I was your age and it was possible, I'd consider it, married or not.

Seems to me that if you have the aptitudes to make a good soldier and it interests you, go for it. As long as you do have the family to care for your son. Not only would he be proud of your service, you would have a very good pension in 20 years. If I was your age and it was possible, I'd consider it, married or not.

I was in the Navy for 20 years and retired when I was 38. I've been drawing a retirement check for over 20 years now. I've invested that monthly check wisely and as a result I consider myself to be financially very stable. I didn't join the Navy and serve for 20 years just for the retirement benefits but I have to admit that the retirement check has been a plus. Also while I was in the Navy I obtained a BS from George Washington University and saw more of the world than I could ever imagine. I would have done none of this if I had not of joined the Navy. I enjoyed my job, enjoyed the many different people you meet in the Navy, and I met the lady that I am married to while in the Navy. My Navy career has been nothing short of "excellent". I'd do it all over again with no regrets. Being on active duty in one of the branches of service is not quite the same as being in the National Guard. While joining the Guard might be a very noble thing for you to do, I think being in the Guard is alot like being pregnant. Either you are, or you are not. By that, what I mean is if you intend to join the military, I'd go ahead and join a completely active duty branch and not be a weekend wonder. You'd have better benefits and I think you'd be much happier. Plus, your life would be more simpler.

So from what Gunny has told me the National Guard will take you until you are 30. And I have been really thinking about joining. When I was a senior in high school I was very close to joining the military, I was very close to signing with the Navy but was talked out of it by my softball coach and former Army man. I think he just wanted me to play my last eligible year of summer fast pitch. :lol: And sometimes I regret that I didn't, even though I would have probably been sent over at the beginning of the war.
Now I am a single mom, and I know I would be able to provide for my son much more if I joined the National Guard. So I would like some advice, and no bullshit flames please.

The National Guard will waive just about anything. Not sure about the kid though. There is an age limitation, and most services will not take a recruit with a child.

Can you be separated from you child for the length of time you'd need to be in boot camp? Will your child suffer emotionally from the separation? If you were my kidlet, Wannabe Blonde, I'd be much more inclined to try and help you get on with the government as a civilian worker. As of now, the retirement benefits are almost as good.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back