Need advice, new computer purchased

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Can i get AntiVirus protection without paying a fee like the Norton?

I wanted to upgrade my old computer but because it was w slim parts were few and hard to find so I impulse purchased a new one.

Thanks in advance

I wanted to upgrade my old computer but because it was w slim parts were few and hard to find so I impulse purchased a new one.

Thanks in advance

I use comodo at Ringel's suggestion more than a year ago. Works great.

• Banned

Thanks in advance

Avast or Comodo, both free, as good as if not better than Norton/McAfee and less demanding of your computers resources.

Avast Free Antivirus - Download.com

Comodo Antivirus - Download.com

Thanks, downloading now. :)

Thanks in advance

Avast or Comodo, both free, as good as if not better than Norton/McAfee and less demanding of your computers resources.

you get what you pay for. you have to do all the updates/upgrades yourself. does it really work??? you need a lot more than just AV

• Banned

you get what you pay for. you have to do all the updates/upgrades yourself. does it really work??? you need a lot more than just AV

I am impressed with it thus far. They have premium versions. But so far I like that when you Google it gives you trust ratings of websites before you goto them. Informative

If you want to protect yourself even further, I would install these extensions on your browser as well...

Abine TACO
Prefer https

They will make your browsing quite a bit safer as well

Thanks in advance

which year???

Current. I know Avast updates continually and informs you when a new upgrade is available.

I am impressed with it thus far. They have premium versions. But so far I like that when you Google it gives you trust ratings of websites before you goto them. Informative

I used to use WOT but Webrep is better. WOT is mostly based on user reviews, Webrep is mostly based on professional reviews and server based history of site threats.

which year???

Current. I know Avast updates continually and informs you when a new upgrade is available.

2012 version. that's what i have. but its an internet security system. not just AV. comes with firewall, spyware, adaware etc. a bundled system which is needed today. not just AV

Last edited:
which year???

2012 version. that's what i have. but its an internet security system. not just AV. comes with firewall, spyware, adaware etc. a bundled system which is needed today. not just AV

It depends, I run through my home network, my router handles the "firewall" functions very well. As a back up I use the built in Windows firewall, works fine so far.
I also run Malwarebytes, double the protection. On my Linux systems I run Clam and UFW.

It depends, I run through my home network, my router handles the "firewall" functions very well. As a back up I use the built in Windows firewall, works fine so far.
I also run Malwarebytes, double the protection. On my Linux systems I run Clam and UFW.

still easier to have it all bundled into one program. IMO

still easier to have it all bundled into one program. IMO

Again, depends on the person, their needs and knowledge. The package deals are probably best for most users and the Avast/Comodo packages are a hell of a lot cheaper than the Norton/McAfee brands. Most who don't know and don't want to pay for additional protection rely on Windows Defender though I wouldn't recommend doing so.

There is no need to run two firewalls on your network. It serves no purpose. All you are doing is slowing down your data transfer speed. Let your Integrated Service Router handle the firewall because it is closest to the point of presents on your house and you can turn off the firewall on your windows computers. You may see a small speed up of data transfer. And of course keep the antivirus running. Avast is defiantly an awesome free little program. I use it on my windows computer as well.

There is no need to run two firewalls on your network. It serves no purpose. All you are doing is slowing down your data transfer speed. Let your Integrated Service Router handle the firewall because it is closest to the point of presents on your house and you can turn off the firewall on your windows computers. You may see a small speed up of data transfer. And of course keep the antivirus running. Avast is defiantly an awesome free little program. I use it on my windows computer as well.

My computers and internet connection are fast enough that it makes no difference. :D

Still, it doesn't add more protection... That is kind of a fallacy. But if it makes you feel safer, cool... :)

Thanks in advance

:clap2:

Winner on the very first reply.
:cool:

Avast is spectacular.

I used to use WOT but Webrep is better. WOT is mostly based on user reviews, Webrep is mostly based on professional reviews and server based history of site threats.

My most recent Avast update included a WOT-type function.
Google searches and web pages are rated

My most recent Avast update included a WOT-type function.
Google searches and web pages are rated

It's called Webrep, it's mostly IT peer reviewed as opposed to WOTs user reviews.

Forum List

Back