• Durango

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Grand Cherokee

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
My hubby and I are planning on another baby here within 18 months, and we are needing to give up my 99 Monte Carlo Z34 (BIG WAHHHHH!!!) for the SUV...i don't like driving minivans, i test drove them before, and don't like them-or the way they look. Plus we are inheriting a Bayliner in 2 years, so we need something to tow it with.

We have narrowed it to 4 choices, and I would like opinions from people who have owned any of these. I don't trust 2nd-hand info (ops from those who have heard from owners, but never actually owned the vehicle itself) - is never reliable.

The vehicles we are deciding on are:

Chevy Avalanche (my 1st pick)
Chevy Tahoe
Dodge Durango (my 2nd pick)
Jeep Grand Cherokee

fuzzykitten99 said:
My hubby and I are planning on another baby here within 18 months, and we are needing to give up my 99 Monte Carlo Z34 (BIG WAHHHHH!!!) for the SUV...i don't like driving minivans, i test drove them before, and don't like them-or the way they look. Plus we are inheriting a Bayliner in 2 years, so we need something to tow it with.

We have narrowed it to 4 choices, and I would like opinions from people who have owned any of these. I don't trust 2nd-hand info (ops from those who have heard from owners, but never actually owned the vehicle itself) - is never reliable.

Chevy Tahoe
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Don't get the Dodge unless you really enjoy replacing Transmissions and like to visit often to the dealership for all the recalls.

The most current recall is the Upper Ball joints, wheels are falling off of the vehicles while people are driving with no warning. Not just the wheels but the entire assembly fails and the whole dang thing just gives up the ghost...

I had a GMC Denali (Tahoe on steroids) and I loved it - until a lady going southbound on I-15 decided to do a u-turn so she could get back to the crossover and start going northbound.... to miss her, I swerved off the road and into the center median where I hit a drainage ditch that pushed the front axle back about 3 feet.....

It was great truck, but once they have been wrecked they are never the same so as soon as I could, I got rid of it....

So I voted Tahoe.....

fuzzykitten99 said:

Chevy Tahoe
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Stay away from Grand Cherokees. They are nice and have all the bells and whistles and such, but if anything goes out on them (like a fuel pump or alternator) it costs an arm and a leg to replace. Durangos have been covered and I've seen where the Avalanche has had it's problems too. From what I know, Tahoe is probably your best bet.

I drive a 92 Chevy Blazer S-10 Tahoe Package and it has been great! I love this SUV it has 193,000 miles on it, no major work has been needed on this, just your normal maintenance. My husband and I are getting ready to buy 2 more vehicles and he thinks he is selling the 2 we currently have. I have no intention of selling my Blazer. He can sell his car if he wants. I want to see if I can get my Blazer to 300,000 miles. Which should happen in about 6 more years with the miles we put on these vehicles, living way out in the country.

Mr. P said:
How about a nice 2003 Mercedes ML 320? Make ya good deal, but ya gotta come get it. It's Silver and an all wheel drive SUV!:)

Do you like yours? I have the ML500 and I HATE IT. I leased it (the business did) but I am turning it in early and paying the penalties for doing so I dislike it sooooo much.

freeandfun1 said:
Do you like yours? I have the ML500 and I HATE IT. I leased it (the business did) but I am turning it in early and paying the penalties for doing so I dislike it sooooo much.

:eek:

Wash your mouth! You hate your Mercedes?!

That's supposed to be impossible!

freeandfun1 said:
Honestly, the only thing I like about it is the safety factor it provides over any other SUV.

hummer h1 not h2.
H2 isn't a real hmmwv at all.

H1 will go anywhere and is solid as a rock. No pun intended

no1tovote4 said:
:eek:

Wash your mouth! You hate your Mercedes?!

That's supposed to be impossible!

I also have a 1997 S500 which I love. The post-merger autos are not nearly as good as the pre-merger autos!

Mr. P said:
Honestly, the only thing I like about it is the safety factor it provides over any other SUV.

That is why we got our too, but mine spends so much time in the shop it isn't funny.

Because I was born in Detroit, that may make me a homer for saying this, but I never thought about buying anything other than a Ford.

My personnal car- Mustang.

My traveling car- Taurus

My work vehicle- F 150

I can't stand Chevrolet

C racked
H ead
E xhaust
V alve
R attles
O il
L eaks
E very
T ime

freeandfun1 said:
That is why we got our too, but mine spends so much time in the shop it isn't funny.
Well, so far we've been lucky maintenance wise..a shame to say that about Mercedes, but with the SUV..made in ALABAMA, I'm afraid it's true..And even the standard maintenance cost enough for another loan. Brakes..I just dealt with that..Mercedes wants $1200 for a brake job! Get real Folks! The problem is they got cha..The only brake part you can get on the secondary market as far as brakes, is the front pads. Nothing else. Their designed
now (So is VW) to change rotors at the same time, no tuning rotors..what a bunch of crap!
You're forced to see them and bend WAY over...I'll never own another Mercedes!

Mr. P said:
I'll never own another Mercedes!

Same here. Thanks Chrysler! You ruined a perfectly good brand!

We bought a Lexus LX470 and so far, we love it.

When you go to Mercedes here, the service shop waiting room is packed. When you go to Lexus, it is empty. That alone should tell ya something....

freeandfun1 said:
Same here. Thanks Chrysler! You ruined a perfectly good brand!

We bought a Lexus LX470 and so far, we love it.

When you go to Mercedes here, the service shop waiting room is packed. When you go to Lexus, it is empty. That alone should tell ya something....

The wife has been looking at infiniti lately..We have looked at lexis too.

Mr. P said:
How about a nice 2003 Mercedes ML 320? Make ya good deal, but ya gotta come get it. It's Silver and an all wheel drive SUV!:)

i need something with balls...mercedes are ok cars, but the suvs are suv body, but a car chassis. they were only produced for those people who have never owned a truck or suv, but wanted to stay with mercedes. the specs just don't match Chevy. i watched a few people try to launch (much less tow) their expensive boats at lake Minnetonka with some of these SUV wannabes, and my brother ended up having to help one of them get out of the launch, because the boat and trailer kept dragging them backward.

honestly, if my hubby weren't so against ford (i'm not, i like them), i can get a massive discount on any ford that i want through my job, since all our IRV's are either Explorers or Escapes.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i need something with balls....
Ahhh, something that sux alot of gas....
Wish it didn't work that way...
I'd be ridin to work in a hopped up old scout.

Forum List

Back