Nebraska Nuclear Plant at Level 4 Alert!!

From the company:

Flood Rumor Control - Omaha Public Power District

Of course the heralds of DOOOOOOOOOM!!!! will dismiss this as corporate propaganda, despite it being factual, logical, and verifiable via the regulatory agency.

Unless the regulators are in cahoots with the plant, plus local TV stations, national TV stations, local bloggers, local wildlife, any idiot with a geiger counter and a blog, etc.....

(CNN) -- A nuclear power plant 19 miles north of Omaha, Neb., declared an alert due to electrical problems, officials said.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Tuesday morning's incident was "declared due to an indication of fire." But Omaha Public Power District, which operates Fort Calhoun Station, said the alert was due to smoke and there was no indication of fire.
The fire was extinguished within 50 minutes, the NRC said, adding an "alert" is the second-lowest of four emergency classes.
"There was no danger to the public of a radiation release because the plant has been shut down since early April for a refueling outage and remains in that condition," the NRC said in a statement Wednesday. "Although the plant briefly lost its normal ability to cool the spent fuel pool, temperatures in the pool remained at safe levels and the plant recovered pool cooling without the need for any of the plant's multiple backup systems."
The NRC said it monitored the situation.
In a statement late Tuesday, the Omaha Public Power District said the alert resulted from smoke in an electrical switchgear room.
"After a thorough safety review, the plant was cleared to return to its level one emergency that was declared Monday due to flood conditions," the customer-owned utility said.
Fort Calhoun Station has been down since April 9 for a refueling and maintenance outage. It remains shut due to flooding on the Missouri River.
Nebraska Nuclear Plant Was Under Alert - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

:lol: Leave it to the king of the truthtards to scamper off to his conspiratard site to get the "REAL" scoop! Yes, folks! Regardless of what is said, Nebraska is going to end up like Fukushima! Except it was only the primary systems that failed for a short period of time, the coolant never reached unsafe levels, and backup systems were never needed. Oh.... and there were no explosions or containment breaches. Hmmm. Seems to me the only thing Fukushima and the Nebraska site share is the fact they are nuclear power plants.

Leave it to the rabidly paranoid to pretend everything is a massive emergency and coverup! :lol:

The flooding is what is concerning residents, or maybe you didn't even watch the video and what was said by newscrews, and Gunderson, and expert on the topic of nuclear power.
As for being overly paranoid, you are the conspiracy nutcase who thinks the truth movement is trying to take over the government :cuckoo:

"Instead of being a patriot standing up for what you believe is right, you lie your sorry ass off trying to get people to overthrow the government.

"Yet instead of fighting what is wrong in government, you make up bullshit and try to foment rebellion."

You're a fucking joke and a hypocritical nutcase, who has NO credibility, and a proven liar, so STFU, the people in NE. have a legitimate concern.
Awww, isn't that cute! The little bitch got his panties in a twist because someone dared to expose his fearmongering! :lol: Your pathetic attempts at deflection aren't going to work, shitbag.

So tell us again how the Nebraska short term outage that didn't even kick in the backup systems is like what happened at Fukushima where all systems failed for weeks! Then tell us how Nebraska is about to get worse! :lol:

Tell us again how there is radiation being leaked because they said no radiation was being leaked and they said the same thing at Fukushima! :lol:

Tell us again how a 20' tsunami surge is the same as the Missouri river being higher than normal. :lol:

You're such a fucking retard liar that I'm starting to believe you actually believe your own bullshit! :lol: Was there anything else you wanted people to start panicking over due to your paranoid delusions? :lol:

Where did I say, in any of the post, any fucking thing about Neb.=Fukushima, to the point I have to say anything AGAIN about something I didn't even say?? :cuckoo:

Since when is posting something that was in a local news broadcast, and commented on by a nuclear expert fear mongering? It seems you are again trying to make up a phony argument as you have nothing better to do with your worthless life as a social outcast.
The people who live near this facility have a legitimate concern, especially since the river is rising, what part of that are you not capable of comprehending?
Why don't you explain to everyone here whose rational discussion on this topic you crashed with your BS, how it is you can call someone a fearmongerer, when you yourself are a delusional paranoid that has claimed people wanting a new investigation on 9-11 are only wanting to "foment rebellion" to "take over the government"?

Now go crawl back under the rock from where you came from, since you have nothing but ad hominem and BS to contribute to this thread.

Where did I say, in any of the post, any fucking thing about Neb.=Fukushima, to the point I have to say anything AGAIN about something I didn't even say?? :cuckoo:
Yeah, I'm not surprised a dishonest fuck like you would try to deny the obvious.

Mr. Jones said:
While the reactor itself was shut down for re-fueling, a fire broke out in the electrical system and cooling was lost for the spent fuel rod cooling pool, the same problem now plaguing Fukushima's building #4.

Are you going to try and pretend that because someone ELSE wrote it and you REPOSTED it that it doesn't count? :lol: What other excuses are you going to come up with to cover your blatant dishonesty?

Mr. Jones said:
Since when is posting something that was in a local news broadcast, and commented on by a nuclear expert fear mongering?
Already explained that to you, dipshit. When you go around comparing it to Fukushima when it isn't even CLOSE to Fukushima, that is, by anybody's bood, fearmongering. The fact you are apparently too damn stupid to understand such simple facts isn't my concern.

Mr. Jones said:
It seems you are again trying to make up a phony argument as you have nothing better to do with your worthless life as a social outcast.
Awww.... more meaningless bullshit from you. What's wrong? Don't you like it when people point out what a dishonest and disgusting person you are? Get use to it.

Mr. Jones said:
The people who live near this facility have a legitimate concern, especially since the river is rising, what part of that are you not capable of comprehending?
The part where you play it off like impending nuclear disaster when that isn't the case.

Mr. Jones said:
Why don't you explain to everyone here whose rational discussion on this topic you crashed with your BS, how it is you can call someone a fearmongerer, when you yourself are a delusional paranoid that has claimed people wanting a new investigation on 9-11 are only wanting to "foment rebellion" to "take over the government"?
So how about you explain to all these good people what you expect the end result of people believing your truthtard bullshit. Is everyone suppose to just shrug and go on with their lives knowing the government is responsible for 9/11? You're such a stupid fuck you can't even understand the implications of the bullshit you preach. What other outcome is there if what you say is true is true? Come on. Nobody but a retard like you is going to believe you're not demanding the overthrow of the government based on what you're preaching.

Mr. Jones said:
Now go crawl back under the rock from where you came from, since you have nothing but ad hominem and BS to contribute to this thread.
:lol: Aww.... poor pathetic truthtard Jones is throwing another hissy fit because he was once again exposed as the stupid shit that he is. Gee. I am having a real hard time trying to drum up any kind of sympathy for a douchebag like you. I doubt anyone else can drum up any either.

Yeah, I'm not surprised a dishonest fuck like you would try to deny the obvious.

Mr. Jones said:
While the reactor itself was shut down for re-fueling, a fire broke out in the electrical system and cooling was lost for the spent fuel rod cooling pool, the same problem now plaguing Fukushima's building #4.

Are you going to try and pretend that because someone ELSE wrote it and you REPOSTED it that it doesn't count? :lol: What other excuses are you going to come up with to cover your blatant dishonesty?

Already explained that to you, dipshit. When you go around comparing it to Fukushima when it isn't even CLOSE to Fukushima, that is, by anybody's bood, fearmongering. The fact you are apparently too damn stupid to understand such simple facts isn't my concern.

Awww.... more meaningless bullshit from you. What's wrong? Don't you like it when people point out what a dishonest and disgusting person you are? Get use to it.

The part where you play it off like impending nuclear disaster when that isn't the case.

Mr. Jones said:
So how about you explain to all these good people what you expect the end result of people believing your truthtard bullshit. Is everyone suppose to just shrug and go on with their lives knowing the government is responsible for 9/11? You're such a stupid fuck you can't even understand the implications of the bullshit you preach. What other outcome is there if what you say is true is true? Come on. Nobody but a retard like you is going to believe you're not demanding the overthrow of the government based on what you're preaching.

Mr. Jones said:
:lol: Aww.... poor pathetic truthtard Jones is throwing another hissy fit because he was once again exposed as the stupid shit that he is. Gee. I am having a real hard time trying to drum up any kind of sympathy for a douchebag like you. I doubt anyone else can drum up any either.

Dude why do you feel the need to be name calling all the time? Why can't you just debate the issues and not bring it to a personal level? Hell, I'm on your side on the issues but won't read what you post because of your approach to posting. Sheesh

Dude why do you feel the need to be name calling all the time? Why can't you just debate the issues and not bring it to a personal level? Hell, I'm on your side on the issues but won't read what you post because of your approach to posting. Sheesh

Yeah, you're right. I should dial it back. It is just that I have such an overwhelming amount of contempt for people like Jones.

:talk2hand:

What the fuck does HI know about the conditions of a nuke plant in Nebraska?

This is an epic thread fail.

:nono:

But we could revive the thread if we demand the reactors birth certificate.

Depends. Long form or Certificate of Live Birth? Do we need to know the names of the doctors who delivered the reactor? What other nations are we concerned the reactor might have originated in? ;-)

Why don't you go ahead and start a thread on 9-11 instead of hijacking other peoples threads in a pathetic attempt to panhandle for attention, you're obviously not getting at home, you sorry ass troll.
You can always be counted on to make an ass out of yourself :lol::lol: And I have to do is post in any thread, and you come over like a dog to its master and oblige :lol::lol: Fucking hilarious :lol: :clap2:
And sorry at the same time :cuckoo:
Have fun arguing by yourself you pathetic whiny bitch :lol::lol:
Hows it feel to embarrass yourself all the time P boy? :lol:

Yeah, you're right. I should dial it back. It is just that I have such an overwhelming amount of contempt for people like Jones.
Yep, that's because I get him to make an ass out of himself on demand, but this time he went ahead and did it all by himself like a big boy troll. He was even made to publicly apologize once :clap2:
Do you see what a moron you look like to sensible people now Parrot? Your shit is getting old, and people are starting to realize what an asshole you are.
Who the fuck do you think you are that you think you can just hijack someone else's thread to show what a social misfit you are? :cuckoo:

Also since Fukishima every nuke plant has probably been going over thier facilities for the exact situation that hit Japan.
I just saw on PBS "Beyond the light switch" Even hardcore environmentalists are now supporting Nuke power, as long as extreme safety measures are taken into consideration. They had a segment on the close call at the Davis-Besse plant in Ohio, where there was only 3/8" of liner preventing a disaster, and the company fought to keep the plant open until its next maintenance check 2 yrs. away. It wouldn't have made it.
And there is another plant that has been on hold for decades, and they are going to push to finish it with an analog system to save costs of upgrading to digital.
I guess as long as the power companies submit to safety measures it would be better for the environment (green house gases), but if something goes wrong like Chernobyl, or Fukushima then what??
Also the costs to build one plant is in the billions?? :cuckoo:
The result will be higher bills right? Seems like a no win situation.

http://pbma.nasa.gov/docs/public/pbma/images/msm/9_11_06.pdf

Last edited:

Yep, that's because I get him to make an ass out of himself on demand, but this time he went ahead and did it all by himself like a big boy troll. He was even made to publicly apologize once :clap2:
Do you see what a moron you look like to sensible people now Parrot? Your shit is getting old, and people are starting to realize what an asshole you are.
Who the fuck do you think you are that you think you can just hijack someone else's thread to show what a social misfit you are? :cuckoo:

pot-kettle-black

What's having the reactors off have to do with anything when the concern is the spent fuel rods? I didn't know there were so many nuclear physicist on this board. No matter what subject is talked about here, everyone all the sudden becomes an expert at it. :lol:
You mean like you're doing?

I also have a Masters degree in Chemical Engineering, which means unless you have a degree in physics or a Nuclear Engineering degree I am probably more qualifed to respond on this than you are.

Sure you do! :lol:

Why is this in the conspiracy forum? A level 4 is the lowest classification and denotes "notification of unusual event".

Because it's not at a level 4 as some suggest.

A conspiracy theory is a fringe theory which explains a historical or current event as the result of a secret plot by exceptionally powerful and cunning conspirators to achieve a malevolent end!

So, again I ask how can this be a conspiracy theory when it is a fact?
BTW, how much did you pay to play Moderator? :lol:

Why is this in the conspiracy forum? A level 4 is the lowest classification and denotes "notification of unusual event".

Because it's not at a level 4 as some suggest.

A conspiracy theory is a fringe theory which explains a historical or current event as the result of a secret plot by exceptionally powerful and cunning conspirators to achieve a malevolent end!

So, again I ask how can this be a conspiracy theory when it is a fact?
BTW, how much did you pay to play Moderator? :lol:

How much did you pay to be able to post on this board? :razz:

The safety of deep pools used to store used radioactive fuel at nuclear plants has been an issue since the accident at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant in March. If the cooling water in a pool is lost, the used nuclear fuel could catch fire and release radiation.

As ProPublica reported earlier, fire safety is a continuing concern at the country's 104 commercial reactors, as is the volume of spent fuel piling up at plants.

Officials at Fort Calhoun said the situation at their plant came nowhere near to Fukushima's. They said it would have taken 88 hours for the heat produced by the fuel to boil away the cooling water.

Workers restored cooling in about 90 minutes, and plant officials said the temperature in the pool only increased by two degrees.

The fire, reported at 9:30 a.m., led to the loss of electrical power for the system that circulates cooling water through the spent fuel pool, according to a report from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. A chemical fire suppression system discharged, and the plant's fire brigade cleared smoke from the room and reported that the fire was out at 10:20 a.m., the NRC said.

Mike Jones, a spokesman for the plant's owner, the Omaha Public Power District, said Fort Calhoun has a backup pump to provide water to the spent fuel in case the main system is lost. That pump, which runs on a separate power supply from the rest of the plant, was inspected and standing by on Tuesday, but plant operators restored main power to the pool before the emergency pump was needed, he said.

Electrical Fire Knocks Out Spent Fuel Cooling at Nebraska Nuclear Plant | Truthout

Sounds like a good response.

Also since Fukishima every nuke plant has probably been going over thier facilities for the exact situation that hit Japan.
I just saw on PBS "Beyond the light switch" Even hardcore environmentalists are now supporting Nuke power, as long as extreme safety measures are taken into consideration. They had a segment on the close call at the Davis-Besse plant in Ohio, where there was only 3/8" of liner preventing a disaster, and the company fought to keep the plant open until its next maintenance check 2 yrs. away. It wouldn't have made it.
And there is another plant that has been on hold for decades, and they are going to push to finish it with an analog system to save costs of upgrading to digital.
I guess as long as the power companies submit to safety measures it would be better for the environment (green house gases), but if something goes wrong like Chernobyl, or Fukushima then what??

You cannot make anything 100% safe, what you can do is make your safety protocols layered, so it takes a cascade of failures to create a serious problem. You also have to account for many possible outside sources of failure. what happened at fukishima is they didnt account for a 40 ft wave hitting them, they accounted for a 20 ft wave.

Remember at chernobyl the idiots were running a test that required them to go outside normal operating procedures. That coupled with a poor control rod design, high void coefficient, and a complete lack of a containment structure lead to the disaster. Add in the good old soviet "deny everything" response plan and you get the most massive nuclear clusterfuck we have seen.

You cannot make anything 100% safe, what you can do is make your safety protocols layered, so it takes a cascade of failures to create a serious problem. You also have to account for many possible outside sources of failure. what happened at fukishima is they didnt account for a 40 ft wave hitting them, they accounted for a 20 ft wave.
This is a serious lack of imagination on their part considering where Japan is in relation to tectonic activity.

Remember at chernobyl the idiots were running a test that required them to go outside normal operating procedures. That coupled with a poor control rod design, high void coefficient, and a complete lack of a containment structure lead to the disaster. Add in the good old soviet "deny everything" response plan and you get the most massive nuclear clusterfuck we have seen.
Understood but the "deny everything" response is not limited to other countries, and the flooding, if it worsens like many are predicting,
could inundate the NE. plant and cause serious contamination to the waterways. It's potentially very serious problem if the water can't be contained.
If we are to allow new nuclear power plants, then the worst case scenarios for a failure should always be taken into account and planned for accordingly, the repercussions are no laughing matter, or wacko "conspiracy theories". :eek:
How will they be able to keep pumps running to get rid of the flood waters? There are reports that the river water is already being let in to cool the reactor, but I have not been able to confirm this....Wouldn't this render the reactor useless, or does that only apply to sea water?

Forum List

Back