Nebraska Governor Approves New Keystone Route

We can send money to Canada, or send it to Mexico.

Not an easy choice...there are French people in Canada.

Sierra Club Chief to Risk Arrest Over Oil Pipeline - Yahoo! News

Executive director Michael Brune would be the first Sierra Club leader to be arrested in an act of civil disobedience. The club's board of directors approved civil disobedience for the first time in its 120-year history as a way to oppose the pipeline, which would carry oil derived from tar sands in western Canada to refineries in Texas.

:lol:

Executive director Michael Brune would be the first Sierra Club leader to be arrested in an act of civil disobedience. The club's board of directors approved civil disobedience for the first time in its 120-year history as a way to oppose the pipeline, which would carry oil derived from tar sands in western Canada to refineries in Texas.

My problem with this is disaster recovery.

Henry Henderson: Kalamazoo River Spill: Two Years Later and the Tar Sands Mess in Michigan Still Looks Ugly

2 fucking years is not disaster recovery. It's just plain disaster.

Henry Henderson: Kalamazoo River Spill: Two Years Later and the Tar Sands Mess in Michigan Still Looks Ugly

Please.. Pipelines are much safer then tankers

And an entire industry should be vilified over this? Why?

With millions of barrels of crude and billions of cubic feet of natural gas coursing through tens of thousands of pipeline-miles within this country... each and every day.

Not to diffuse or deflect, but to merely point out and put in perspective... agriculture has fouled our environment (air, water, ground) for a century at least. And it will continue to do so in perpetuity.

In my 3-1/2 years at USMB I don't recall such vitriol with respect to farming practices. Nor have I seen it in state or national political discourse. Nor will I ever. And why not?

The hydrocarbon industries represent a very small voting bloc. Yet these industries contribute substantially to our country's GDP, tax payments, and employment.

Without hydrocarbons all industry would grind to a halt.

Don't confuse priority with allegiance. Bandwagon mentality may play well in the Liberal political arena, but it does nothing to address reality.

And an entire industry should be vilified over this? Why?

With millions of barrels of crude and billions of cubic feet of natural gas coursing through tens of thousands of pipeline-miles within this country... each and every day.

Not to diffuse or deflect, but to merely point out and put in perspective... agriculture has fouled our environment (air, water, ground) for a century at least. And it will continue to do so in perpetuity.

In my 3-1/2 years at USMB I don't recall such vitriol with respect to farming practices. Nor have I seen it in state or national political discourse. Nor will I ever. And why not?

The hydrocarbon industries represent a very small voting bloc. Yet these industries contribute substantially to our country's GDP, tax payments, and employment.

Without hydrocarbons all industry would grind to a halt.

Don't confuse priority with allegiance. Bandwagon mentality may play well in the Liberal political arena, but it does nothing to address reality.

Liberals don't live in the real world

South Dakota Supreme Court upholds permit for $10 billion oil refinery - Omaha.com

Hyperion's proposed refinery would process 400,000 barrels of Canadian tar sands crude oil each day into low-sulfur gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and liquid petroleum gas. If constructed, the 3,300-acre tract of farmland north of Elk Point would become the first new U.S. site for an oil refinery since 1976.

Wow! a new refinery! thats unheard of..They have added on to the refiney here in Detriot so it can now refine tar sands oil:cool:

Venezuela and Canada compete with each other for the US heavy oil refining market.

Looks like Canada might win.

Should we give fly-over permission to Venezuela when they want to bomb Canada?

Stop Keystone to Stop the Flow?

Powerline blog @ Blocking the Keystone Pipeline: Who Benefits? | Power Line raises some interesting points about the pipeline.

These are some specific instances of how northern oil is making its way to American refineries:

In North Dakota alone, oil producers have built rail terminals capable of handling nearly 1 million barrels of oil per day.

Refineries are also building rail terminals. Last month, Delek U.S. Holdings, a subsidiary of the Israeli energy company Delek Group, announced that it will begin refining 15,000 barrels of Canadian crude at its El Dorado, Ark., refinery. All of that oil is being shipped in by rail. A refinery in Delaware, owned by PBF Energy, recently completed a rail terminal that will allow it to take up to 110,000 barrels of crude oil per day. The Sunoco refinery in South Philadelphia as well as a Phillips 66 refinery in Bayway, N.J., are also ramping up their ability to accept more crude by rail.

If the Obama administration holds firm on blocking Keystone, the big loser will be TransCanada Corporation. But who will the big winners be? American railroads:

The bottom line is that, in spite of efforts by the Greenies and the sycophant Obozo, the oil is gonna get refined and ultimately to users.

And then directorblue @ Doug Ross @ Journal blog comes up with this:

Who needs the Keystone pipeline?

Americans are only paying the highest portion of their paychecks for gas in 30 years!

ETF Daily News reports: Unintended Consequences of QE and Low Interest Rates: United States Gasoline Fund, LP (NYSEARCA:UGA) | ETF DAILY NEWS

...if you exclude the 2008 spike in oil prices (to be fair, seemingly a unique anomaly and unsustained), Americans are paying the highest portion of paychecks toward gasoline prices in the past 3 decades. 30 years.

Gas-budget-300x171.jpg

But Democrats are for the little guy!

So, which is correct? Don't build the pipeline and everybody suffers? Or build it and the refineries are still gonna get a lot of oil by rail? To me, there is a simple answer – if there's a way to make money, American companies will do whatever it takes.

:eusa_whistle:

Pipeline maps;
EIA - Natural Gas Pipeline Network - U.S. Natural Gas Pipeline Network Map

Oil and gas pipelines in the US are over 400,000 miles long. They are everywhere.

Chicken Little is on a rampage...again...

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. But why do y`all call our OIL SANDS..."tar sands" ? As a (retired) chem. eng. I wish to point out that we are not digging up tar in Alberta. Tar is what`s left over after distilling crude and we use it to pave our roads.
Actually we call our oil "Ethical Oil" as opposed to the oil which is imported from countries that stone women and behead "infidels".
As far as the opposition in Canada to Keystone or every other pipeline, gas or oil is concerned we (in Canada) are dealing with several fringe groups that are funded by foreign money to stifle our resource development.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFqIS8hDV0o&list=UUvj7dbOY14kt_MFIR1Y1iwA&index=37"]Northern pipelines.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Yes I know, some might say the backlash that annihilated Canada`s former left wing "Liberal" party and helped our Conservative Party to a landslide win has no longer any interest in the Kyoto Accord.
Nevertheless since then even our Liberals woke up in the meantime and smelled the coffee. I had the chance to put the "Oil Sands" question to Justin Trudeau, son of the legendary (liberal) Canadian P.M. Pierre Elliot Trudeau and he floored the entire Native assembly with his frank answer.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3P6VR2Wud0&list=UUvj7dbOY14kt_MFIR1Y1iwA&index=2"]Justin Trudeau on Ethical Oil - YouTube[/ame]
Too bad my daughter was too quick on the stop button or you would have seen a hall packed with Natives erupt in thundering applause.
Present opinion polls have it that Justin is extremely likely to be Canada`s next Prime Minister

So much for the "consensus media" myth that Canada`s First Nations are opposed to resource development.
We just voted for a 2.nd HV power line which comes from the mighty Nelson River hydro-plants and runs south through our Reservation into the U.S....side by side with the natural gas pipelines that already exist.
Why not...? We get royalties and I don`t even have to pay a hydro bill...ever..!!

Last edited:
So, I guess the Keystone won't actually move Canadian oil straight to our Gulf coast and out the back door?

I still crack up at that bullshit talking point the left were throwing out on the board that we in Canada "needed to build the pipeline to the Gulf so we could ship our oil to the Chinese".

Obviously geography was never a strong suit of our USMB left wingers.

Last edited:
And an update on the southern portion: Oh and the Premier of Alberta is headed to Washington this week to try to get this resolved.

One segment of the Keystone XL pipeline is half complete

Pete Curtis and tricia.flatley Feb 24, 2013 07:46:44 AM

The northern portion of the project may still be awaiting approval from the American government, but a section of the Keystone XL pipeline between Cushing, Oklahoma and the Texas gulf coast is half complete.

That’s according to Transcanada Pipelines which says nearly 4,000 workers are laying down and welding a 485 mile section of the multi-billion dollar pipeline.

If the project avoids setbacks, that portion of the pipeline could be moving oil by the end of the year.

One segment of the Keystone XL pipeline is half complete | 660News

So, I guess the Keystone won't actually move Canadian oil straight to our Gulf coast and out the back door?

I still crack up at that bullshit talking point the left were throwing out on the board that we in Canada "needed to build the pipeline to the Gulf so we could ship our oil to the Chinese".

Obviously geography was never a strong suit of our USMB left wingers.
But it`s so typical. Add to that the double standard when it comes to oil revenue sharing. The conservative Canadian Midwest Provinces already pay huge "transfer payments" to BC, Ontario and Quebec who`s left-thread-wingnut policies have tallied up a huge debt. All the while they have cursed us, for developing our resources. And the first thing Liberal Christy Clark demands is an even "larger share" :
hi-bc-120716-christy-clark-1-4col.jpg

B.C. Premier Christy Clark says B.C. needs a greater share of the revenue from the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline. (CBC)

Why stop there,...She might as well make the same demands for every road and rail that runs through BC, demanding from Canadians to prop up her idiotic spending with access fees to Canada`s West coast.

East of central Canada it gets just as absurd. The "New Democratic Party" and the Liberals are Okay with a pipeline where import-oil-& gas flows from east to west,....but now that we approach a situation where we don`t need any more oil from countries that stone women the left wing spin doctors manage to mobilize fringe groups that protest against the flow direction reversal of these pipelines.
The left has an obsession to stifle anything that makes anyone less dependent on the big government centrally planned nanny state they envision.
Observing their tactics of division, pitting people who have different views about social issues against each other...using divisive issues like abortion and gay"rights" controversies to get a leg up in the struggle for absolute power in order to force their insane fiscal policies down our throats .. it is getting rather obvious that the left wants to re-invent the very same one-party "Democracy"and "Central planning" etc that were the core of the defunct ex-communists states.
Most of the E.U. has already gone down the same cul de sac again and the cental planning bureaucrats in Brussels make it their business forbidding the British pubs to dispense their beer by the pint...
Sounds familiar? I guess New Yorkers don`t have an idea what`s going on elsewhere in the world and what`s in store for them, else they would not tolerate a mayor that legislates the size of soft drinks.
Every jurisdiction ruled by the left is either already bankrupt or soon will be because it is being ruled by bureaucrats who`s only expertise is to micro manage the lives of people who have the misfortune to live in such a jurisdiction....where your kids are being "co-parented" and interrogated by zealot teachers what kind of books you give them to read at home.
God forbid you got an outdated & politically incorrect children`s book instead of the "revised version"...or a poster somewhere in your house that might be interpreted as such.
In Ontario a kindergarten child drew a picture of a gun...and the teacher called in the police and had her dad`s house raided...found a plastic toy gun from Walmart, handcuffed dad and took the child in custody.
In Germany a sling shot became a "prohibited weapon" not long after the iron curtain came down and all these communists became instant citizens with voting rights....I`m glad I left that zoo behind me, way back in the 60`s....and live (since I retired) on an Indian Reservation where none of that gay crap cuts any ice...gas is tax free and nobody can come in here,unless we give specific permission.
Maybe that`s why you don`t see any "gay pride" parades in First Nations territories..!
Sure we got other problems, but it does not make the news if I kick a drunk`s ass off my front door steps as it would if I would do that in Winnipeg and the guy was gay drug addict.

Last edited:
Canada minister doesn't expect U.S. to veto Keystone pipeline | Reuters

(Reuters) - Canadian Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said on Thursday he does not expect the United States to reject TransCanada Corp's proposed Keystone XL pipeline from the Alberta oil sands to Texas.

U.S. officials say they expect the government to make a final decision by the middle of the year. Green groups strongly oppose the pipeline, which they say will help boost global warming, and want President Barack Obama to block the project.

Forum List

Back