Nebraska city holds controversial immigration vote

Bullfighter

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
A city in the US state of Nebraska is to vote on whether to ban local businesses and landlords from hiring or renting to illegal immigrants.

The vote in Fremont is the result of a two-year fight by residents concerned by an influx of Hispanic workers.

It follows an immigration law passed recently in Arizona which critics have said could lead to racial profiling.

Other states and cities want similar laws, saying the federal government has failed to tackle the problem.

US President Barack Obama has made immigration reform a priority, but has warned the task is being made harder by the actions of Arizona, Fremont and others.

Lawsuit threat

The residents of Fremont will vote on whether businesses should be banned from hiring illegal immigrants and landlords should be barred from renting them property.

Critics say the vote is dividing the city of Fremont The campaign for such a law began two years ago amid concerns that the Hispanic population in the 25,000-strong city had gone from 165 in the 1990s to an estimated 2,000 - drawn mainly to work at a nearby meat-packing plant.

A proposed law - similar to the one being put to the vote on Monday night - was narrowly defeated when put forward by a city council member in 2008.

Residents disappointed by that result collected more than 3,000 signatures for another ballot; they finally got approval in the Nebraska Supreme Court.

Supporters of the vote say it is necessary to protect jobs, healthcare and education for local people, while critics say it will divide the city and fuel discrimination.

The Nebraska chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has threatened to sue the city if the law is passed.

The Arizona immigration law, which comes into effect next month, requires police to stop and question people about their immigration status if the officers have reasonable suspicion the person is in the US illegally.

BBC News - Nebraska city holds controversial immigration vote

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why must Americans learn of this news through the foreign media, like the BBC?

I just saw a piece on a news site. The funny part of the bit was how the news commentator said that other cities who had similar ordinance, had to spend millions of dollars to defend itself in court. The way she said it appeared as a sort of threat (If you pass it, i'll make sure you pay through lawsuits / appeals process).

In Arizona alone, they are filing lawsuits at the immigration bill.

Seriously, we have people who come from many parts of the World who went through the legal process to come to our country. Why can't the people who enter here illegally or overstayed their Visa just follow the rules set forth by law (which other countries in the world have in their rules and regulation)? It's like these people against immigration rules feel like you should be rewarded for breaking them. Do they give a quarter to their kids whenever they cut in line.

Last edited:
If I give shelter to a someone who just robbed a bank I can be guilty of "aiding and abetting".

If I rent to an illegal alien who broke into this country and is violating the immigration laws I should be guilty of "aiding and abetting".

If I give shelter to a someone who just robbed a bank I can be guilty of "aiding and abetting".

If I rent to an illegal alien who broke into this country and is violating the immigration laws I should be guilty of "aiding and abetting".
How about if you don't turn in someone that smokes weed, runs a stop sign, or commits jaywalking?

Just what is so CONTROVERSIAL about it?

what gets me is you people sticking up for ILLEGAL immigrants don't care that they are BREAKING OUR LAWS, taking JOBS that could be going to American CITIZENS, taking monies out of our system that could BE USED for American citizens that you all crow about caring MORE FOR.

Our country is BEING INVADED and you all worry more about some vote on a law.

Last edited:
The American people are speaking outand it's about time we decide if we want illegal aliens in our country using services we pay for. I don't mind paying for our own but not people from other countries. Government give away too much of our money to other countries anyway. I do not want Obama making these decisions for me.

How about if you don't turn in someone that smokes weed, runs a stop sign, or commits jaywalking?

Bad analogy..unless you are the one supplying the weed or helping them across the street, and I can't think of any reason why you should be charged with aiding and abetting when someone ran a stop sign.

Bad analogy..unless you are the one supplying the weed or helping them across the street, and I can't think of any reason why you should be charged with aiding and abetting when someone ran a stop sign.
Why? Abetting is abetting.

Just what is so CONTROVERSIAL about it?

It says in the article that people think it will lead to racial profiling. There's your controversy.

I'm so sick of people claiming racial profiling.....this has been going on since time immemorial and now that it will affect ILLEGALS everybody is up in arms about it. How foolish have the american people become??? I'm not saying it's right....but....why the shock and interest in it now? It's grandstanding by this administration which does not care about the people in AZ who face danger every single day of their lives and those in WA who could do something to help but WON'T.....go figure. And....if it IS racial profiling so be it. Those who have nothing to fear because they were either born here or came in through the front door need not worry or be fearful. As simple as that.......

"And....if it IS racial profiling so be it. Those who have nothing to fear because they were either born here or came in through the front door need not worry or be fearful"

Yeah they should be perfectly ok with being harassed because of the color of their skin.

"And....if it IS racial profiling so be it. Those who have nothing to fear because they were either born here or came in through the front door need not worry or be fearful"

Yeah they should be perfectly ok with being harassed because of the color of their skin.

Do you have a better answer? Even the common sense idea of Social Security sending no match letters to employers is being held up in court. Why should this nation have to accept whoever and however many people decide that they want to come here?

It won. The tides are turning. Fuck the ACLU.

Voters in the eastern Nebraska city of Fremont on Monday approved a ban on hiring or renting property to illegal immigrants, the latest proposal in a series of immigration regulations taken up by communities around the country.

About 57 percent of voters in Fremont supported the proposal, according to unofficial results that still must be certified by the election commissioner. The measure is likely to face a long and costly court battle, with the American Civil Liberties Union saying it will try to block it before it even goes into effect.

FOXNews.com - Neb. Town Votes to Restrict Illegal Immigration

As residents of Fremont began considering what the decision would now mean, details of the new law were a new matter for debate. Some noted, with puzzlement, that the law would not apply to the area’s two biggest meatpacking plants (including Hormel, the largest employer) because they are just outside the city’s official boundaries, and that the law would also not apply to “casual labor for domestic tasks” around Fremont homes. But some said they believe the housing requirements — and new $5 occupancy license rule — might apply to people living in nursing homes.
Nebraska Town Votes to Banish Illegal Immigrants - NYTimes.com

Another law that will punish people for looking brown.

Nebraska is about to vote on a new state slogan: Keep Nebraska White

:thup:

As residents of Fremont began considering what the decision would now mean, details of the new law were a new matter for debate. Some noted, with puzzlement, that the law would not apply to the area’s two biggest meatpacking plants (including Hormel, the largest employer) because they are just outside the city’s official boundaries, and that the law would also not apply to “casual labor for domestic tasks” around Fremont homes. But some said they believe the housing requirements — and new $5 occupancy license rule — might apply to people living in nursing homes.
Nebraska Town Votes to Banish Illegal Immigrants - NYTimes.com

Another law that will punish people for looking brown.

Nebraska is about to vote on a new state slogan: Keep Nebraska White

:thup:

I'll cry me a big ole river over that soon as the Congressional Black Caucus admits a white man to the caucus. yepppers I will.

Anyone who commit a crime is profiled. What make it different to profile illegal aliens who committed the crime of entering this country illegally without out documentation. Black man robs a bank. White man grabs an old lady's purse. A Mexican robs a convient store. Amber alert, an Asian man kidnaps a child. Who do you profile. Operation Wet Back profiled Mexicans and my father who was native american was stopped many times, show it ID and was on his way. I was asked to empty my purse at the SS office after 9-11, I look like a middle easterner. Had boy scout knife and had to take it to my car are leave it. Lost my place in line, but I and others were safe. I do not mind being profiled if it means catching illegal aliens and deporting them. If I have to undergo a little inconvience to secure the safety of citizens.

Forum List

Back