Nearly a quarter of California's power comes from renewable sources

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
This is very impressive, and flies in the face of naysayers.

Nearly a quarter of state s power comes from renewable sources

FOLSOM >> California’s electrical grid has a problem — a nice problem, but a problem nonetheless: The state often has too much power.

Nearly 23 percent of California’s energy now comes from renewable sources such as wind and solar, and the state is on track to reach its goal of generating one-third of its energy from renewables by 2020. But feeding all that green energy into the Golden State’s grid — without overloading it — has become a major challenge.

That’s because the state’s aging natural gas plants aren’t nimble enough to turn off when the sun starts shining and then quickly switch back on when it gets dark. And while the technology to generate clean energy is growing by leaps and bounds, efforts to store the power haven’t kept up.
<more>

Only 23%? That's a massive failure. The state has paid out over $2BILLION in rebates for solar since 2007.....
It's even worse than I thought- only about 7% of California's power comes from solar....Wow...I'd think that after spending $2,000,000,000 the results would be much higher.

Keep in mind the $2 Billion is only the State of California's part, the total spent is closer to $10 Billion......

Last edited:
Only 23%? That's a massive failure. The state has paid out over $2BILLION in rebates for solar since 2007.....
It's even worse than I thought- only about 7% of California's power comes from solar....Wow...I'd think that after spending $2,000,000,000 the results would be much higher.

Keep in mind the $2 Billion is only the State of California's part, the total spent is closer to $10 Billion......

To be able to tap into unlimited energy resources that have nothing to do with the Islamic world? Well, worth it!

To be able to tap into unlimited energy resources that have nothing to do with the Islamic world? Well, worth it!

We have no reason to tap into the Islamic world Matthew. We have more Oil than anywhere in the world.

Califorina also is the first state to have 10gw of solar installed.

California Becomes First US State To Surpass 10,000 MW Solar Mark
June 16th, 2015 by Joshua S Hill
California Becomes First US State To Surpass 10 000 MW Solar Mark

A new combined report has revealed California as the first US state to surpass the 10,000 MW of installed solar capacity mark.

The latest US Solar Market Insight Report published by GTM Research in conjunction with the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) showed that California now has more solar assets installed than each of the nations of the UK, France, Spain, Australia, and Belgium.

California surpassed the figure in the first quarter of this year by installing 718 MW of solar energy, raising the state’s total to 10,649 MW, with big gains across each of the solar sectors: 231 MW were developed in the residential sector, 88 MW in commercial, and 399 MW in utility scale.

Forum List

Back