Nearly 40% Of Graduating College Seniors Feel Unprepared For A Career

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

They get hyped all through high school of the great benefits of going to college. They’ll get rich, be rolling in dough.

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

What a college student does with their career really does play an impact on their student loan debt,” he said. “They go to college and they graduate with the average of $30,000 in student loan debt and they can’t land a job, or a good-paying job, then they are going to be stuck with that student loan debt and it’s only going to get worse and it’s going to impact how they handle their life after graduation.”

Meanwhile, there are millions on hands-on craftsman jobs out there begging for applicants. Good jobs with benefits. And the benefit of seeing what your hands have created.

More
@ Edu-geddon: Nearly 40% Of Graduating College Seniors Feel Unprepared For A Career

I curious to see if there is a breakdown by what degree they got.

I would think Engineering, accounting, and other more rigorous majors would produce graduates with more of a work future outlook as compared to say trans-lesbian pygmy basket weaving studies.
And what degree did you complete?

Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

They get hyped all through high school of the great benefits of going to college. They’ll get rich, be rolling in dough.

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

What a college student does with their career really does play an impact on their student loan debt,” he said. “They go to college and they graduate with the average of $30,000 in student loan debt and they can’t land a job, or a good-paying job, then they are going to be stuck with that student loan debt and it’s only going to get worse and it’s going to impact how they handle their life after graduation.”

Meanwhile, there are millions on hands-on craftsman jobs out there begging for applicants. Good jobs with benefits. And the benefit of seeing what your hands have created.

More
@ Edu-geddon: Nearly 40% Of Graduating College Seniors Feel Unprepared For A Career

I would think Engineering, accounting, and other more rigorous majors would produce graduates with more of a work future outlook as compared to say trans-lesbian pygmy basket weaving studies.

Degrees in medical fields, engineering, teaching, business prepare students for specific fields of work

Liberal Arts teach more language, writing, critical thinking which are valuable skills but harder to apply to a specific occupation

A generic liberal arts degree fits into your criteria. However some of these degrees really only lead to higher degrees in the same subject, and eventually an academic position in that subject. A broad Lib Arts education does teach you valuable thinking skills, but the problem is they have become far too specialized, and are more designed to perpetuate themselves than prepare a person for a field of employment.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong, with trans-lesbian pygmy basket-weaving, the issue is how many positions are availible for someone with said degree, compared to a more broadly based academic background/education?

Old school liberal arts education was about expanding your mind, the current metric is about focus on some obscure subset of a subset of a grouping of a theory/viewpoint/identity group.

And Engineers find plenty of opportunity in other fields. Employers like to hire people who have been trained to find solutions to problems, and usually by nature are adaptable to various technical requirements.
I have two liberal arts degrees and it never stopped me from earning a living. I also have extensive work in electronic and electric engineering and yet it never stopped me from working or earning a living. I have trades I learned in highschool and college yet it never stopped me from earning a living.

That's good for you, but currently there is an issue with very expensive degrees not providing the living the people getting them expect.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
You must not have been to college or you would understand how it works.

Take electronica engineer for example. What they teach you are the parts. Diode’s, resistors, capacitors, IC chips and so on. For instance the electronics that run an elevator are way different than the electronics inside of a stereo.
So in college they don’t really teach systems. They teach components. And then you learn the system at the company that you go to. You have to learn their system to contribute. But your college knowledge is your foundation.

So naturally college seniors are not going to feel prepared for any particular job until they go to that job and put their knowledge and skills to use and learn what that job is.

Even carpenters have to learn the different tools and styles to build a desk.

I hope that helps. Consider this a “teaching” moment.
That works with any field of study versus what a company does in it's method of production...

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
WTH?

They were taught that capitalism is evil, deviant sex is normal, there is no such things as male/female, and all guns should be banned.

What else do they need to know?

Geesh. Just recycle and protest global warming and everything will work out just fine.
capitalism is not evil but the humans in capitalism are...

Right, verses those in government who are angelic.
I believe they are humans also..

Nope, pretty sure they are intellectually superior aliens of some sort cuz they need to run all of our affairs to "save" us.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

Degrees in medical fields, engineering, teaching, business prepare students for specific fields of work

Liberal Arts teach more language, writing, critical thinking which are valuable skills but harder to apply to a specific occupation

A generic liberal arts degree fits into your criteria. However some of these degrees really only lead to higher degrees in the same subject, and eventually an academic position in that subject. A broad Lib Arts education does teach you valuable thinking skills, but the problem is they have become far too specialized, and are more designed to perpetuate themselves than prepare a person for a field of employment.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong, with trans-lesbian pygmy basket-weaving, the issue is how many positions are availible for someone with said degree, compared to a more broadly based academic background/education?

Old school liberal arts education was about expanding your mind, the current metric is about focus on some obscure subset of a subset of a grouping of a theory/viewpoint/identity group.

And Engineers find plenty of opportunity in other fields. Employers like to hire people who have been trained to find solutions to problems, and usually by nature are adaptable to various technical requirements.
I have two liberal arts degrees and it never stopped me from earning a living. I also have extensive work in electronic and electric engineering and yet it never stopped me from working or earning a living. I have trades I learned in highschool and college yet it never stopped me from earning a living.

That's good for you, but currently there is an issue with very expensive degrees not providing the living the people getting them expect.
The reason why so many foreign people are hired, especially people from India, is because many are PHD leveled degrees to people there. How can such a poor nation produce so many PHD's? Which is why those Asians are the highest paid workers in the US on an average...

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
WTH?

They were taught that capitalism is evil, deviant sex is normal, there is no such things as male/female, and all guns should be banned.

Geesh. Just recycle and protest global warming and everything will work out just fine.

Nope, pretty sure they are intellectually superior aliens of some sort cuz they need to run all of our affairs to "save" us.
See what happened when women got the vote?

WTH?

Fine, don't get laid for the next 5 years.

I ain't head'in down that road though, I'm out!!!

Fine, don't get laid for the next 5 years.

I ain't head'in down that road though, I'm out!!!
Hookers never say no..

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

The problem is they aren't studying anything worthwhile in large part. Liberal arts degrees don't prepare anyone with a useful skill or valuable knowledge that can be translated into useful or valuable work or contribute to society in any meaningful way. Not like a degree in the sciences, engineering or mathmatics does. College and universities have in large part become life support systems for academics hiding out from real life who themselves have no useable skill and nothing worthwhile to contribute. In short it has become yet another racket and con game for assholes to leach off of society at large. The sad part is the dumb kids put themselves deep in hock just to piss away four or more years of their life, the prime years of their life no less. In return they get nothing and nothing they can trade in order to repay their debt. Basically if they're going into debt to pursue an arts degree they're screwed but a degree in the sciences may pay off in the long run as long as they become consumers and demand their moneys worth. Like anything left to regulate itself, our educational system has clearly run amuck starting with kinder garden and running all the way though university BA degrees in bullshit. For starters the education system needs to stop social engineering and get back to the business of education, teaching useful skills and learning something of worth to society. If they don't come out with a marketable skill they should start asking for their money back. As it is, our current educational system is just another racket.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

The problem is they aren't studying anything worthwhile in large part. Liberal arts degrees don't prepare anyone with a useful skill or valuable knowledge that can be translated into useful or valuable work or contribute to society in any meaningful way. Not like a degree in the sciences, engineering or mathmatics does. College and universities have in large part become life support systems for academics hiding out from real life who themselves have no useable skill and nothing worthwhile to contribute. In short it has become yet another racket and con game for assholes to leach off of society at large. The sad part is the dumb kids put themselves deep in hock just to piss away four or more years of their life, the prime years of their life no less. In return they get nothing and nothing they can trade in order to repay their debt. Basically if they're going into debt to pursue an arts degree they're screwed but a degree in the sciences may pay off in the long run as long as they become consumer and demand their moneys worth. Like anything left to regulate itself, our educational system has clearly run amuck starting with kinder garden and running all the way though university BA degrees in bullshit. For starters the education system needs to stop social engineering and get back to the business of education, teaching useful skills and learning something of worth to society. If they don't come out with a marketable skill they should start asking for their money back. As it is, our current educational system is just another racket.
My liberal arts degree got me jobs I liked on radio stations and TV stations..

The reason why so many foreign people are hired, especially people from India, is because many are PHD leveled degrees to people there. How can such a poor nation produce so many PHD's? Which is why those Asians are the highest paid workers in the US on an average...

Technically South East Asians, and the ones coming over are usually from the mid-upper to upper classes.

Indian culture at the more elite levels stresses education. Bengali culture in particular.

Technically South East Asians, and the ones coming over are usually from the mid-upper to upper classes.

Indian culture at the more elite levels stresses education. Bengali culture in particular.
Yeah but it has to be made affordable in a nation whose income is $1670 a year in 2016.

Yeah but it has to be made affordable in a nation whose income is $1670 a year in 2016.

The people at the average level of income aren't the ones getting the degrees and coming over here to get jobs.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

The problem is they aren't studying anything worthwhile in large part. Liberal arts degrees don't prepare anyone with a useful skill or valuable knowledge that can be translated into useful or valuable work or contribute to society in any meaningful way. Not like a degree in the sciences, engineering or mathmatics does. College and universities have in large part become life support systems for academics hiding out from real life who themselves have no useable skill and nothing worthwhile to contribute. In short it has become yet another racket and con game for assholes to leach off of society at large. The sad part is the dumb kids put themselves deep in hock just to piss away four or more years of their life, the prime years of their life no less. In return they get nothing and nothing they can trade in order to repay their debt. Basically if they're going into debt to pursue an arts degree they're screwed but a degree in the sciences may pay off in the long run as long as they become consumer and demand their moneys worth. Like anything left to regulate itself, our educational system has clearly run amuck starting with kinder garden and running all the way though university BA degrees in bullshit. For starters the education system needs to stop social engineering and get back to the business of education, teaching useful skills and learning something of worth to society. If they don't come out with a marketable skill they should start asking for their money back. As it is, our current educational system is just another racket.
My liberal arts degree got me jobs I liked on radio stations and TV stations..
Well good for you but I wouldn't have given you a plugged nickel. Well maybe for sweeping up and mopping out the johns.

Go have a look into the science, engineering and math classes. You'll see mostly Asians. Then go have a look into the liberal arts classes and you'll see where all the Americans are pissing away their time studying gay art history and other useless bullshit.
Any guesses as to how that's gonna work out in the future?

Last edited:
2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

I suspect that this is a by-product of fewer and fewer people having meaningful job experiences while still in their teens. From about 10-14 I did every odd job I could find. 14-16 I worked illegally under the table in a restaurant, and did every odd job I could find. At 16 I started working properly and legally and did every odd job I could find and have only been unemployed voluntarily for 3 months since then during which I did every odd job I could find. By the time I graduated college, I was more pissed that all the time spent on college had been interfering with me working. When I went to Grad school, I still worked my first year even though I wasn't supposed to telecommuting for a business that had tried to replace me but that was such a disaster they just kept me on the payroll after the first month and set it up with remote office access, etc that allowed me to virtual office.

Life prepares you for life. Classrooms do not. All this Extended Adolescence stuff is a disservice to kids.

So exactly what kind of sexual acts were you performing under that table that made it illegal? :D

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

I would have agreed under the now abandoned Classical Liberal Arts (with strong emphasis on Western Civ)...but the Woke Liberal Arts are just prog programming. Critical thinking skills are not taught.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

I don't know but it sounds like people scared to get wet

If you put in the time in college and got the grades then you should have enough confidence to move onto the next level at least you should have that on your resume

yet if you are party animal then your just afraid of moving onto the next level

If you choice the wrong Major then hey its either mommy and daddy's money or the realization will hit you when they start sending you the bill for student loans

either your going to move back home or your going to kick ass

College is meant to give you the basic, thus it is not going to replace experience

experience happens with time unless your a party animal and it may take a while

Forum List

Back