Nearly 36 Million Americans Living in Poverty

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
.4% rise in the number of americans living in poverty

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Some 1.3 million Americans slid into poverty in 2003 as the ranks of the poor swelled to 35.9 million, with children and blacks worse off than most, the U.S. government said on Thursday in a report sure to fuel Democratic criticism of President Bush.

Despite the economic recovery, the percentage of the U.S. population living in poverty rose to 12.5 percent -- the highest since 1998 -- from 12.1 percent in 2002, the Census Bureau said in its annual poverty report. The widely cited scorecard on the nation's economy showed one-third of those in poverty were children.

The number of U.S. residents without health care coverage also rose last year to the highest level since 1999 and incomes were essentially stagnant, the Census Bureau said.

The poverty line is set at an annual income of $9,573 or less for an individual, or $18,660 for a family of four with two children. Under that measure, a family would spend about a third of its income on food.

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has argued Bush's economic stewardship, including three rounds of tax cuts since 2001, has done more to help wealthy Americans than the poor or middle class.

But analysts have said the poverty rate typically tracks the broad economy, rising during a recession and falling in boom times. America has struggled to recover from the 2001 slump, and job creation has lagged behind overall growth.

The poverty rate has risen each year since 2000, when it was 11.3 percent. It hit a record low 11.1 percent in 1973.

Children and most racial minorities again fared worse in 2003 than the overall population, according to the Census report. The rate of child poverty rose to 17.6 percent from 16.7 percent in 2002 -- boosting the number of poor children to 12.9 million.

The poverty rate of African Americans remained nearly twice the national rate, with 24.4 percent of blacks living below the poverty line in 2003, nearly unchanged from 24.1 percent a year earlier.

The report showed real median income for all races was unchanged at $43,318 in 2003, while the number of Americans with no health care coverage rose to 45.0 million from 43.6 million in 2002.

Democrats criticized the government's decision to release the highly anticipated report in mid-August -- when many people are on vacation -- rather than sticking to the usual September release. They also said the decision to release both the health insurance and poverty statistics in the same report was a bid to minimize media coverage of the worsening lives of the poor.

"Hmmmm. We wonder if these moves have anything to do with the fact that George Bush is running for re-election. Remember, the last time that the annual census figures were released in August was in 1992 to hide bad news in an election year," the Kerry campaign said in a statement.

wonder how this will affect the voter polls for awhile?

I can't understand ppl choosing poverty...If I were in charge I'd :banned: them from the country. :)

People need to stop being victims - money/work is there, if we lower our pride enough.

:D

All people need is motivation. I've known of thousands of families move to this country without so much as speaking knowledge of the language. The VAST majority of those families put in 12-18 hr days, working several jobs, to make ends meet. A LARGE number of them now make three-times the salary I get.

I gotta admit, I'm baffled by how they may find these people. Who are they? What do they do? not do? I MIGHT be able to understand the family of four thing, but a single individual not able to make at least 10k a year? THATS something wrong with the individual.

Keep in mind too that what we consider to be poverty isn't always what others consider poverty. These people usually still have food on the table regularly,a t.v. and so on. I feel for children stuck in this because parents may not have more motivation to do something or whatever the reason. I do think that a single person in this country can definitely find a job,even without college making more than 10,000 a year.

How many are actually American citizens or even resident aliens and how many are here illegally? Remember, it is ILLEGAL to hire an illegal alien.

krisy said:
Keep in mind too that what we consider to be poverty isn't always what others consider poverty. These people usually still have food on the table regularly,a t.v. and so on. I feel for children stuck in this because parents may not have more motivation to do something or whatever the reason. I do think that a single person in this country can definitely find a job,even without college making more than 10,000 a year.

This would be where I would fit in. I make $27k/year as a salvage claims processor for an insurance company...i have no college education, or any real formal training. But I have something that most college grads lack. Experience.

I have LOTS of experience working phones, customer service, data entry, processing. I have extensive first hand use of most office programs and equipment. I have extensive mortgage knowledge, and a good handle on banking operations. So far, my current employer avoided having to call service techs for a copier problem we were having. I had worked in a small office before, and knew how to fix minor issues myself. So I fixed what they would normally have called service techs for.

My husband makes $36k/year as a traffic control technician. He assembles, sets up, delivers, installs anything that has to do with traffic control, specifically during road construction. The company also does other stuff, if you want to check out their website. Northern Traffic Supply He has no post-high school training or education either. And he was only a C student in school, except when it came to woodworking or metal shop. Through his current job, he has learned how to weld, run a crew, gotten certified CDL, bobcat/forklift, and has now gotten permission to take classes for his class A license, all paid for by his boss.

How's that for no college education?

fuzzykitten99 said:
This would be where I would fit in. I make $27k/year as a salvage claims processor for an insurance company...i have no college education, or any real formal training. But I have something that most college grads lack. Experience.

I have LOTS of experience working phones, customer service, data entry, processing. I have extensive first hand use of most office programs and equipment. I have extensive mortgage knowledge, and a good handle on banking operations. So far, my current employer avoided having to call service techs for a copier problem we were having. I had worked in a small office before, and knew how to fix minor issues myself. So I fixed what they would normally have called service techs for.

My husband makes $36k/year as a traffic control technician. He assembles, sets up, delivers, installs anything that has to do with traffic control, specifically during road construction. The company also does other stuff, if you want to check out their website. Northern Traffic Supply He has no post-high school training or education either. And he was only a C student in school, except when it came to woodworking or metal shop. Through his current job, he has learned how to weld, run a crew, gotten certified CDL, bobcat/forklift, and has now gotten permission to take classes for his class A license, all paid for by his boss.

How's that for no college education?

See what I mean?! :clap1: There are a lot of people that make something of themselves and don't have college or even grow up in the best environment. You two sound like your doing pretty well. My husband and I don't make as much as you,but I work part time. We still have a house,cable t.v.,plenty of food on the table and so on. I don't believe this will affect the polls too much or the final vote because I think most Americans know it isn't always the President's fault if your poor.

krisy said:
See what I mean?! :clap1: There are a lot of people that make something of themselves and don't have college or even grow up in the best environment. You two sound like your doing pretty well. My husband and I don't make as much as you,but I work part time. We still have a house,cable t.v.,plenty of food on the table and so on. I don't believe this will affect the polls too much or the final vote because I think most Americans know it isn't always the President's fault if your poor.

What's really cool is that I am writing a book, and everyone(teachers, friends, relatives, etc.) that I have showed the story-line, and part of what is written, says that they want to read more, and that I should try to get an agent to get it published...anyone have any connections? :tng:

I grew up in Texas in a 12 x 60 mobile home. My father was on VA Disability and my mother waited tables and cleaned houses. I dropped out of high school after 10th grade to help the family. When I turned 17, I joined the Army and left home. While in the Army, I received my GED and then went on and started taking college courses. After I got out of the Army, I went to college full-time and my wife helped me by working while I went to school and worked part-time. My last year of college I dropped out so I could start my company that I still own today. My company will achieve it's 10th year in business this September 1st.

freeandfun1 said:
I grew up in Texas in a 12 x 60 mobile home. My father was on VA Disability and my mother waited tables and cleaned houses. I dropped out of high school after 10th grade to help the family. When I turned 17, I joined the Army and left home. While in the Army, I received my GED and then went on and started taking college courses. After I got out of the Army, I went to college full-time and my wife helped me by working while I went to school and worked part-time. My last year of college I dropped out so I could start my company that I still own today. My company will achieve it's 10th year in business this September 1st.

Congrats free and fun!!!!! I hope prosperity keeps a comin your way...another success story! ;)

freeandfun1 said:

a pre happy anniversary to your company free. :beer:

DKSuddeth said:
a pre happy anniversary to your company free. :beer:

Thank you both. It isn't easy, and a lot of stress goes with the responsibility of employees, etc., but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

I HATE tooting my horn - so I'll put it like this..

Because God seems to like me, I've been blessed. I'm 'not' a hard worker...per se...but what little skills I do have I try to exploit.

I've got about a semester and a half of misc college courses...only have transcripts for about 2 classes.

Search google for GS Federal Pay scale...click General Schedule and Locality Pay Tables find Sea/Tac/Bremerton etc..

I'm a GS 11 of nonya(bizness) step level. I sacrificed during my time of active duty service; which God used to bring about my current career. I'm far from wealthy - never needed money. I am living more comfortable than I deserve...

No free person is 'forced' into poverty. Not in this country. If "I" can find a way to lead towards a career, ANYONE can.

tpahl said:
I wonder how many of these people in poverty have cable, tv, microwaves, cd players, new tennist shoes, etc...?

A lot. I could go into the poorest part of Cincinnati and at the very least of luxery items,they have a t.v. They also have food and a warm place to sleep. In other countries,poverty means a whole different thing. Granted,no one wants to live in roach infested apartments,but most of them could pull out of it if they choose to. There are tons of youth programs(at least in Cincy) to get these kids of to the right start.

krisy said:
A lot. I could go into the poorest part of Cincinnati and at the very least of luxery items,they have a t.v. They also have food and a warm place to sleep. In other countries,poverty means a whole different thing. Granted,no one wants to live in roach infested apartments,but most of them could pull out of it if they choose to. There are tons of youth programs(at least in Cincy) to get these kids of to the right start.

What upsets me about the welfare is that I am forced to give my money to these people and yet they are forced to give up their luxuries. If welfare were to get out of the governments hands I would both have the choice of giving my money to people in poverty, AND most people in poverty would be asked to give up luxuries before getting a dime from others.

Government welfare is not even debated by the two parties anymore. It is just understood that no matter whether Bush or Kerry are elected, we the peopple will have to keep giving more money to welfare.

Oh... I forget who it was but I remember someone asking people that claim they grew up in poverty what their favorite show was on TV growing up. immediately the person would say some show proving it could not have been that bad. Now you could ask them their favorite cable show and they still have an answer.

krisy said:
I do think that a single person in this country can definitely find a job,even without college making more than 10,000 a year.

Sure they could, a single person who will work 40 hours a week, at our state minimum wage, which is currently $5.35 hr. can make $11,128.00 a year.

Here's the ? . Will they actually go to work 40 hours a week?

thats because the first candidate to speak out against the welfare system is going to get a barrage of ads to the effect of "Candidate X doesn't like helping poor Americans".

And then all the people who don't bother themselves with becoming informed will see them and eat it up.

Forum List

Back