Nearly 1 in 5 Obamacare waivers go to restaurants, nightclubs, hotels in Pelosi

How do you justify only 38 got waivers?

Save the conspiracy theories.The GAO just published a review of the waiver process confirming what we already knew: very few applications are denied and those that are fail to meet the criteria specified by CCIIO in the guidance for seeking a waiver in the first place (namely, the statutory language relating to “significant decrease in access to benefits” or a “significant increase in premiums.”)

Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-06-17%2Bat%2B8.58.12%2BAM.png

Of the few denied applications, the majority are from unions.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-06-17%2Bat%2B8.52.32%2BAM.png

How do you justify only 38 got waivers?

Save the conspiracy theories.The GAO just published a review of the waiver process confirming what we already knew: very few applications are denied and those that are fail to meet the criteria specified by CCIIO in the guidance for seeking a waiver in the first place (namely, the statutory language relating to “significant decrease in access to benefits” or a “significant increase in premiums.”)

Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-06-17%2Bat%2B8.58.12%2BAM.png

Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-06-17%2Bat%2B8.52.32%2BAM.png

My question referred to this statement.

Seriously? An asston I'm thinking? All the restaurants I've ever worked in had 20 or more employees. And hotels, really, do you think there's no one else but the front desk guys?

I have been to San Francisco many times and there are a helluva lot more than 38 restaurants and hotels in the city. The point made was that a city ordinance requires that all employers with more than 20 employees have to buy health insurance for them. Why did ONLY 38 file for and receive a waiver?

On edit:

Among the 65 denied applications we reviewed, most were denied on the basis of a projected
premium increase of 6 percent or less. Specifically, 48 of the denied applications included an
attestation that meeting the restrictions related to annual limits would result in a 6 percent or
lower premium increase and 8 applications an increase between 7 and 9 percent (see table 3).
An additional seven applications were denied because they were incomplete. All initially
denied applicants were given the opportunity to apply for reconsideration, and 27 applicants
did so. Of these, 24 were approved based on additional information provided, and 3 were
pending at the time of our review.

How many of these 24 were unions?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back