Near Death Experiences?

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
I thought about this after reading through the thread asking about whether you are afraid to die.

My mom had diabetes complications and many stays in the hospital before she actually died. Once she told me she was near death and she didn't see anything at all, it wasn't like the stories she had read where you see the bright light and someone telling you to return rather, nothing at all.

The day she died, it was so different from the many times my sisters and I had rushed to the hospital from work, home, vacations, etc.. It was as if someone was telling us this was the day we were going to lose her. She was already gone and we didn't have to rush.

We all talked about it and had the same feeling, we knew before we were actually told.

Of course it was still devastating but the more we talked about the day, the more I thought everything was happening as it should.

My sis, who she was staying with, had to run out to pick up a couple of prescriptions and that is when my mom passed away. The night before there was a whole housefull over there, we were all talking and remembering, laughing about when we were kids. My mom was sitting there, very happy and talking along with us. Again, it seemed the way it should be with all of us there at that time. When her time came, it was only her and my dad.

That night I woke up at 3am suddenly and of course started thinking of her but what I didn't know then was that my sisters all woke up at the same time, suddenly.

Anyone had freaky occurances or near death experiences? It'd be interesting to hear.

I thought about this after reading through the thread asking about whether you are afraid to die.

My mom had diabetes complications and many stays in the hospital before she actually died. Once she told me she was near death and she didn't see anything at all, it wasn't like the stories she had read where you see the bright light and someone telling you to return rather, nothing at all.

The day she died, it was so different from the many times my sisters and I had rushed to the hospital from work, home, vacations, etc.. It was as if someone was telling us this was the day we were going to lose her. She was already gone and we didn't have to rush.

We all talked about it and had the same feeling, we knew before we were actually told.

Of course it was still devastating but the more we talked about the day, the more I thought everything was happening as it should.

My sis, who she was staying with, had to run out to pick up a couple of prescriptions and that is when my mom passed away. The night before there was a whole housefull over there, we were all talking and remembering, laughing about when we were kids. My mom was sitting there, very happy and talking along with us. Again, it seemed the way it should be with all of us there at that time. When her time came, it was only her and my dad.

That night I woke up at 3am suddenly and of course started thinking of her but what I didn't know then was that my sisters all woke up at the same time, suddenly.

Anyone had freaky occurances or near death experiences? It'd be interesting to hear.

I have many freaky experiences. But only one which pertained to someone dying. Being a single parent, much of my household items were bought at garage sales. So just about every other week I would pick up my mom and we would go garage sale shopping. The one thing I was really stern about in garage sales is buying used clothing. For some reason I just couldn't do it. My mother use to get so angry at me, because of all the really nice childrens clothes she wanted me to buy and I refused too.

One time we went garage sale shopping, and we stopped at this home where I was buying a end table. All of a sudden with no reasoning I pick up a black dress that was .30 and added it to the 10.00 bill. The total was 10.30. I only had 10.28 (without having to break a 20.00). So the person said just give me 10.25, but I gave her the .28 anyways. Making some comment about pennies. My mom was livid with me, called me selfish, blah, blah, blah.

10 days later to the date, my childs father died. It was June 28th. And here is the weird part, without even thinking about and not realizing it until someone mentioned it to me at the wake, I was wearing that balck dress I bought for .28. 10 dollars = 10 days later. .28 = June 28th. May be just a coinsidence, but man it was a a freaky one.

I have many freaky experiences. But only one which pertained to someone dying. Being a single parent, much of my household items were bought at garage sales. So just about every other week I would pick up my mom and we would go garage sale shopping. The one thing I was really stern about in garage sales is buying used clothing. For some reason I just couldn't do it. My mother use to get so angry at me, because of all the really nice childrens clothes she wanted me to buy and I refused too.

One time we went garage sale shopping, and we stopped at this home where I was buying a end table. All of a sudden with no reasoning I pick up a black dress that was .30 and added it to the 10.00 bill. The total was 10.30. I only had 10.28 (without having to break a 20.00). So the person said just give me 10.25, but I gave her the .28 anyways. Making some comment about pennies. My mom was livid with me, called me selfish, blah, blah, blah.

10 days later to the date, my childs father died. It was June 28th. And here is the weird part, without even thinking about and not realizing it until someone mentioned it to me at the wake, I was wearing that balck dress I bought for .28. 10 dollars = 10 days later. .28 = June 28th. May be just a coinsidence, but man it was a a freaky one.

Wow, that was really strange.

When my children were small my grandfather's (mom's side) appendix broke. He was a tough ole guy and stubborn as could be. He would not go to the hospital. They lived sixty miles from the nearest hospital that could have treated him adequately. Finally one of my uncles talked him into letting him take him to the clinic/hospital. His appendix had broken that morning and it was into the evening before he would relent to go to the doctors. By the time they got him there the doctors were sure he would not make it. They did emergency surgery but did not have much hope for his survival. The family was all called together for that final time. My mom flew in from California and she and all her sisters and brothers gathered together near grandpa and grandma's home.

The children and I lived about 10 blocks from the clinic. I had these wonderful neighbors that would watch the children while I walked down to the clinic to see grandpa twice a day. I would sit with him and talk to him even though he was in a coma.. My hope was that he could hear me. It was not much but at least I could be there close for his last days. (I did not have that same opportunity with my other grandfather. When my other grandfather was in the hospital I lived so far away I could not go see him every day while he lay there in a coma. One of my aunts had spoken with him and she said he asked her, please don't let them kill me. That was when they spoke in his room about pulling the life support plug)

Each day I'd go sit by grandpa and talk about whatever I could think about. I told him you need to hang in there your the only grandpa I have left. It was several days later he awoke briefly. He said I heard you calling me. I was in this lonely dark ocean. You called me back. We spoke briefly and then he went back to sleep. Off and on for days he would awake and talk to me. He would tell me what he had seen each time. Then one day he said you saved me. I told him no I did not God saved you. He told me he knew God was giving him a second chance and this time he was going to live his life better than he had before. Every day while he was awake in the hospital he insisted that it was me who called him back from that sea of darkness he was in. My grandpa would go on from that experience and he lived to be near a hundred years old. He lived out the rest of his days as best as he could here on earth.

It would be a few years after that experience with grandpa that I was dying of chicken pox and pneumonia. I was so tired of life. It had seemed I had tried but was always a failure. I was sure I must be cursed. My daughter had gotten the chicken pox. Then my son. My son had shared the pox with mom. He was a momma's boy so my lap is where he stayed the whole time he was sick. I did not know up until that point how deadly chicken pox are for an adult.

I had not went to the doctor right away. We did not have insurance or any type of assistance. Finally I was so sick I decided I better go see a doctor. I went to this guy in town that I could not stand. He had given me medication I was allergic to once and he was such an asshole and so snide. I recall driving myself to his office and sitting in his office while he called my mom. He called her and told her she needed to come get my children because I was in no shape to take care of them. My mom told him she would come get the children. He then sent me home to die since I had no insurance.

My mom brought over a guy that worked for them and left him there to watch over me. She also brought a huge bag of groceries. Things she thought I might eat. I had not been able to keep any food down for all week. Everything I ate came back out immediately. I only weighed 96 lbs so I was like a walking skeleton anyhow. Mom took the children home with her and left Jimmy to watch over me. (Not sure if you have ever been that sick but if you have you know you sure don't want just anyone hanging around you) I had the dry heaves and the pox all over me made me absolutely miserable. On the outside there was not any area on my body that did not have a pox on it. I had a fever of 103 to 106 the whole time so I would lay there fall asleep and awake in a pool of sweat. I was so weak I would crawl back and forth to the bathroom. I could muster enough energy to walk. The only relief was a cool tub of water and getting from point A to B was a major deal. Getting dress to make it from pint A to B was a major job. I finally told Jimmy call mom and have her come get you. So mom came and got Jimmy.

The next morning a few very good friends came to see me. They let themselves in the house as I was to weak to even get to the door. They had stopped to see how I was doing and to let me know they were going to California for a few days. They were both upset that I was not in a hospital. Evelyn told me baby you are dying why didn't that doctor put you in the hospital. Breathlessly I told her no insurance. She was mad. Bill said you are going to a hospital one way or another, let's go! I told him no. Then Bill told me we are coming back by here before we leave if you have not gone to the hospital by then I'm calling an ambulance, got it! I told him yeah.

After they left I laid there in a fog. I told God can't we just get this over with we both know I pretty useless. I mean why leave me to suffer everyone and myself. I had barely any breath at all. It was like no matter how hard I tried to breath I couldn't. As i laid there I thought about Bill's threat to call an ambulance. That's all I needed another bill I could not pay. I finally fell back asleep. I awoke sometime later it was still early afternoon. I laid there and considered what I saw while I was sleeping. I had been floating in an ocean of dark water. It was as if there was no emotion there, nothing sad, nothing happy, just an emptiness of nothing, a vast nothingness. I could see people on a far away shore. The people looked dead even though they were standing. I knew the people were there for judgment. I perceived I would be left there in this vast emptiness until judgment day if I refused to choose life.

It took all the energy I could muster to get out of bed, get dressed and crawl down the stairs to my car. I can tell you I recall parking the car and walking into through the emergency room doors and splatting onto the floor. I don't recall driving myself there, nor did I recall driving myself home from the doctors office a few days before that.

Nurses evidently picked me up off the floor. The next thing I knew was they had a mask over my face, I was in a hospital bed and these nurses were talking to me asking me questions. They took blood and then they told me I did not have enough oxygen in my blood to be alive. For the next five days I was in an isolation room except for when they would wheel me into the xray room. There was this really nice doctor that was an older man. He would show me the xrays that they took of my lungs. He said I was his little miracle as he had never seen anyone that sick live. The xrays showed total black where my lungs are. Each day small grey spots would appear in the black area of the new xray of the day.

I did not consider what grandpa had said he had seen until after I was better and out of the hospital. Until my own experience I had not considered what he saw was real.

When my children were small my grandfather's (mom's side) appendix broke. He was a tough ole guy and stubborn as could be. He would not go to the hospital. They lived sixty miles from the nearest hospital that could have treated him adequately. Finally one of my uncles talked him into letting him take him to the clinic/hospital. His appendix had broken that morning and it was into the evening before he would relent to go to the doctors. By the time they got him there the doctors were sure he would not make it. They did emergency surgery but did not have much hope for his survival. The family was all called together for that final time. My mom flew in from California and she and all her sisters and brothers gathered together near grandpa and grandma's home.

The children and I lived about 10 blocks from the clinic. I had these wonderful neighbors that would watch the children while I walked down to the clinic to see grandpa twice a day. I would sit with him and talk to him even though he was in a coma.. My hope was that he could hear me. It was not much but at least I could be there close for his last days. (I did not have that same opportunity with my other grandfather. When my other grandfather was in the hospital I lived so far away I could not go see him every day while he lay there in a coma. One of my aunts had spoken with him and she said he asked her, please don't let them kill me. That was when they spoke in his room about pulling the life support plug)

Each day I'd go sit by grandpa and talk about whatever I could think about. I told him you need to hang in there your the only grandpa I have left. It was several days later he awoke briefly. He said I heard you calling me. I was in this lonely dark ocean. You called me back. We spoke briefly and then he went back to sleep. Off and on for days he would awake and talk to me. He would tell me what he had seen each time. Then one day he said you saved me. I told him no I did not God saved you. He told me he knew God was giving him a second chance and this time he was going to live his life better than he had before. Every day while he was awake in the hospital he insisted that it was me who called him back from that sea of darkness he was in. My grandpa would go on from that experience and he lived to be near a hundred years old. He lived out the rest of his days as best as he could here on earth.

It would be a few years after that experience with grandpa that I was dying of chicken pox and pneumonia. I was so tired of life. It had seemed I had tried but was always a failure. I was sure I must be cursed. My daughter had gotten the chicken pox. Then my son. My son had shared the pox with mom. He was a momma's boy so my lap is where he stayed the whole time he was sick. I did not know up until that point how deadly chicken pox are for an adult.

I had not went to the doctor right away. We did not have insurance or any type of assistance. Finally I was so sick I decided I better go see a doctor. I went to this guy in town that I could not stand. He had given me medication I was allergic to once and he was such an asshole and so snide. I recall driving myself to his office and sitting in his office while he called my mom. He called her and told her she needed to come get my children because I was in no shape to take care of them. My mom told him she would come get the children. He then sent me home to die since I had no insurance.

My mom brought over a guy that worked for them and left him there to watch over me. She also brought a huge bag of groceries. Things she thought I might eat. I had not been able to keep any food down for all week. Everything I ate came back out immediately. I only weighed 96 lbs so I was like a walking skeleton anyhow. Mom took the children home with her and left Jimmy to watch over me. (Not sure if you have ever been that sick but if you have you know you sure don't want just anyone hanging around you) I had the dry heaves and the pox all over me made me absolutely miserable. On the outside there was not any area on my body that did not have a pox on it. I had a fever of 103 to 106 the whole time so I would lay there fall asleep and awake in a pool of sweat. I was so weak I would crawl back and forth to the bathroom. I could muster enough energy to walk. The only relief was a cool tub of water and getting from point A to B was a major deal. Getting dress to make it from pint A to B was a major job. I finally told Jimmy call mom and have her come get you. So mom came and got Jimmy.

The next morning a few very good friends came to see me. They let themselves in the house as I was to weak to even get to the door. They had stopped to see how I was doing and to let me know they were going to California for a few days. They were both upset that I was not in a hospital. Evelyn told me baby you are dying why didn't that doctor put you in the hospital. Breathlessly I told her no insurance. She was mad. Bill said you are going to a hospital one way or another, let's go! I told him no. Then Bill told me we are coming back by here before we leave if you have not gone to the hospital by then I'm calling an ambulance, got it! I told him yeah.

After they left I laid there in a fog. I told God can't we just get this over with we both know I pretty useless. I mean why leave me to suffer everyone and myself. I had barely any breath at all. It was like no matter how hard I tried to breath I couldn't. As i laid there I thought about Bill's threat to call an ambulance. That's all I needed another bill I could not pay. I finally fell back asleep. I awoke sometime later it was still early afternoon. I laid there and considered what I saw while I was sleeping. I had been floating in an ocean of dark water. It was as if there was no emotion there, nothing sad, nothing happy, just an emptiness of nothing, a vast nothingness. I could see people on a far away shore. The people looked dead even though they were standing. I knew the people were there for judgment. I perceived I would be left there in this vast emptiness until judgment day if I refused to choose life.

It took all the energy I could muster to get out of bed, get dressed and crawl down the stairs to my car. I can tell you I recall parking the car and walking into through the emergency room doors and splatting onto the floor. I don't recall driving myself there, nor did I recall driving myself home from the doctors office a few days before that.

Nurses evidently picked me up off the floor. The next thing I knew was they had a mask over my face, I was in a hospital bed and these nurses were talking to me asking me questions. They took blood and then they told me I did not have enough oxygen in my blood to be alive. For the next five days I was in an isolation room except for when they would wheel me into the xray room. There was this really nice doctor that was an older man. He would show me the xrays that they took of my lungs. He said I was his little miracle as he had never seen anyone that sick live. The xrays showed total black where my lungs are. Each day small grey spots would appear in the black area of the new xray of the day.

I did not consider what grandpa had said he had seen until after I was better and out of the hospital. Until my own experience I had not considered what he saw was real.

Oh my goodness, you poor dear. I'm so happy you are still around, what you went through..

Thanks for that Rodishi. :)

Oh my goodness, you poor dear. I'm so happy you are still around, what you went through..

Thanks for that Rodishi. :)
Thanks, Sarah... In looking back I'm glad I got to stick around also. I would have missed out on so much here that is worth seeing, experiencing and living.

I drownd when I was about 7 or 8.

Yes I have the full run of near death experiences --racing thoughts, body shutdown, floating above my body, the great white light, arriving at what looked like a run down bus station, getting sent back by my grandmother, the whole nine yards.

Decades before the media made a big deal about it, too.

Pretty weird experience, indeed.

Was it all the hallucinations of a dying brain?

Beats the hell out of me.

Subjectively it was the experience I had.

Reality is what happens in our heads, folks. There may be a reality out there outside of ourselves, but we only get our subjective impressions of it in the best of circumstances.

So, for example, in the case of the young editec drownding, everything I experienced was probably the hallucinations of a frantic dying brain, but they were as real to me as anything else I've ever experienced.

Last edited:

Yes I have the full run of near death experiences --racing thoughts, body shutdown, floating above my body, the great white light, arriving at what looked like a run down bus station, getting sent back by my grandmother, the whole nine yards.

Reality is what happens in our heads, folks. There may be a reality out there outside of ourselves, but we only get our subjective impressions of it in the best of circumstances.

So, for example, in the case of the young editec drownding, everything I experienced was probably the hallucinations of a frantic dying brain, but they were as real to me as anything else I've ever experienced.

I don't know either but it was your grandmother... It seems a dying brain would conjur up something more general. Maybe a light display but it's always someone you know sending you back.

So what is your opinion of dying? Are you afraid? Many who've had near death experiences say they no longer are afraid.

Forum List

Back