NC Mom discharged from Military

you are not honestly trying to tell us that the millions who defaulted on their mortgages have special unforseen circumstances are you??
Yep. Who imagined a year ago that the economy would be in the toilet? Certainly not our leaders. There is an entire town in Ohio that is on the skids because DHL decided to stop working in the US...is that their fault?

yep! well, then, we'll just say things have changed for this young mom too and give her a pass. that's fair.
What changed that was beyond her control?

Willow, now I think you're talking just to get the last word in...not because you actually have any valid point to make. *shakes head*

Willow, now I think you're talking just to get the last word in...not because you actually have any valid point to make. *shakes head*

think what you like Dis, can't change that either. but for the record,, I believe what I've said or I would not say it.. No sense at all making this lady honor a contract when we've decided to let millions off the hook. none.

Yep. Who imagined a year ago that the economy would be in the toilet? Certainly not our leaders. There is an entire town in Ohio that is on the skids because DHL decided to stop working in the US...is that their fault?

yep! well, then, we'll just say things have changed for this young mom too and give her a pass. that's fair.
What changed that was beyond her control?

when you prove that was the case with all the defaulted mortgage signers..

Listened to an Army Sargent on talk radio the other day.

He said that he had 14 women in his unit, when the unit got called to deploy to Iraq.

By the time the unit was ready to ship out.

All 14 of the women soldiers had gotten themselves pregnant.

The unit deployment was delayed for a few weeks, while other (men) replacements were reassigned to the unit.

In all fairness, there are MANY women who honor their obligations and would never behave like this. I am one of them.

not any more than those million who signed contracts to buy homes! Personal responsibility baby!

So, you are suggesting that it is now acceptable to your personal ethics to allow people to refuse to honor the obligations of contracts? Nice.

not any more than those million who signed contracts to buy homes! Personal responsibility baby!

So, you are suggesting that it is now acceptable to your personal ethics to allow people to refuse to honor the obligations of contracts? Nice.

Not what I said,, read,,, we as a society have done this by virtue of our dear leader and his congresscritters,, I can't change it,, as long as we are doing it for millions and millions of slackers on their mortgage contracts then I am all for it for this soldier who finds herself in need now to stay home with her children.. bend it all you want libral but that's the fact,, the good girl won a round.. she gets to stay home with her kids.. supposing she has a home, if not let's buy her one. whatchsay?

So are you going to set the same policy for every MALE member of the service? This recall policy was PART OF THE CONTRACT SHE SIGNED. What part of that do you not understand?

btw, if she were against the war, and didn't want to serve for that reason, you'd be calling for her to be burnt at the stake.

I don't think anyone should be forced to serve after they've already served their 4 years.

Where the fuck do you get the impression you're just signing up for a flat 4 years and you're done? You're signing up to SERVE. Period. However long that contracts states is how long they own your ass. You don't get to show up for however long you decide to, collect the freebies, and bennies, and sign off just because YOU decide you're done.

Because it used to be, you sign up for your four year term, you serve, and then you go home. My brother was never called back after serving in Nam. No one I remember was ever called back after serving in Nam, NO ONE!!

Now they put in fine print which makes you little more than a slave when you sign up. I think it's wrong. I also believe many, had they known they wouldn't get to go home after their four year term, and stay, wouldn't have signed up at all.

Perhaps you could refrain from screwing up the quotes so bad that it'll take more time to go back and fix them, than to just reply, Willow.

Your argument about what I called "pathetic" is bullshit. I called your argument pathetic, because it is. You're all for letting her take the easy way out, regardless of the fact that she signed a legal contract. I used the mortgage thing as an example of something else pathetic, and asked if I should be able to walk away from that, and you simply laughed and told me how it could be done. That is also pathetic.

I think she should get the same treatment a MAN would get were he to try something so lame to get out of his contact with the armed services. You all would tell him to suck it the fuck up, and be a man. He knew what he was getting into, etc.

Guess you missed my post where I said that if it was a man, I would hope they would respond the same way they did to this woman.

I don't think anyone should be forced to serve after they've already served their 4 years.

Where the fuck do you get the impression you're just signing up for a flat 4 years and you're done? You're signing up to SERVE. Period. However long that contracts states is how long they own your ass. You don't get to show up for however long you decide to, collect the freebies, and bennies, and sign off just because YOU decide you're done.

Because it used to be, you sign up for your four year term, you serve, and then you go home. My brother was never called back after serving in Nam. No one I remember was ever called back after serving in Nam, NO ONE!!

Now they put in fine print which makes you little more than a slave when you sign up. I think it's wrong. I also believe many, had they known they wouldn't get to go home after their four year term, and stay, wouldn't have signed up at all.

Fine print? Do you often sign your name without knowing *exactly* what you're signing and why?

Fine print? Do you often sign your name without knowing *exactly* what you're signing and why?

Do you think everyone in our armed forces read those contracts and agreed to be virtual slaves to the military as long as the military wanted them?

There are some men who've served 3 and 4 terms, some even more. How do you put your life back together after that long? No, our government is misusing a little known clause that has been there all along because they don't want to put in a draft, therefore, a handful of people are serving as slaves to the rest of the people, and our government. It's wrong.

Perhaps you could refrain from screwing up the quotes so bad that it'll take more time to go back and fix them, than to just reply, Willow.

Your argument about what I called "pathetic" is bullshit. I called your argument pathetic, because it is. You're all for letting her take the easy way out, regardless of the fact that she signed a legal contract. I used the mortgage thing as an example of something else pathetic, and asked if I should be able to walk away from that, and you simply laughed and told me how it could be done. That is also pathetic.

I think she should get the same treatment a MAN would get were he to try something so lame to get out of his contact with the armed services. You all would tell him to suck it the fuck up, and be a man. He knew what he was getting into, etc.

Guess you missed my post where I said that if it was a man, I would hope they would respond the same way they did to this woman.

I guess you missed the part wherein my reply above is to Willow, not you. In reply to a post of hers that was too messed up to bother quoting.

Perhaps no one was called back- because there was a draft during Nam (had enough bodies) and it was not an all volunteer military as it is now.

I guess you missed the part wherein my reply above is to Willow, not you. In reply to a post of hers that was too messed up to bother quoting.

You called Willow "you all"?

Do you think everyone in our armed forces read those contracts and agreed to be virtual slaves to the military as long as the military wanted them?

There are some men who've served 3 and 4 terms, some even more. How do you put your life back together after that long? No, our government is misusing a little known clause that has been there all along because they don't want to put in a draft, therefore, a handful of people are serving as slaves to the rest of the people, and our government. It's wrong.

If they did NOT read them, that's on THEM. You don't sign up for something like the Military without knowing full well what you're doing, and if you do, you're flat out a fucking idiot that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Fact is, your excuses are getting weaker by the minute, and I have no doubt that you'd be one of those people to sign a contract, and bail on it later just because YOU didn't read what you were signing prior to doing so.

CaféAuLait;1075751 said:

Perhaps no one was called back- because there was a draft during Nam (had enough bodies) and it was not an all volunteer military as it is now.

I believe you are probably right about that.

I wish the article had said how long she served on active duty, but I can make a couple of guesses here.

First, she doesn't hold a critical MOS, if she did, she wouldn't have spent 4 years on IRR status.

Second, she spent less than 4 years on active duty. Since she's even eligible to be recalled, that gives her at least 6 years of the 8 year obligation.

If she's 6 years in, then I'd have to say daddy should learn how to deal with it. If she's 7 or more in, then this is an unusual move on the part of the Army, and there's really no point in recalling her.

If they did NOT read them, that's on THEM. You don't sign up for something like the Military without knowing full well what you're doing, and if you do, you're flat out a fucking idiot that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Fact is, your excuses are getting weaker by the minute, and I have no doubt that you'd be one of those people to sign a contract, and bail on it later just because YOU didn't read what you were signing prior to doing so.

Since this is the first time in my memory that they have done this, I'll give the people who signed the contracts a break. There is no reason to take these same small number of people and make them serve over and over again in a war that puts their lives at risk. Worse, our government offers signing bonus's and then has the nerve to tell those who got the bonus's and ended up wounded that they wanted the money back because they didn't serve their time.

Have you ever served Dis? How would you like to be called back time after time? And if you haven't served, how dare you whine about these heroes because they don't want to serve time after time until that bullet with their name on it eventually finds them?

I remember the relief of each and every soldier I knew that came back from Nam having served their time. I can only imagine the horror if they'd been told they had to go back for both them and their friends and family.

Heck, my father was career military and even he only served in Nam once.

Againsheila, the 8 year obligation isn't fine print. It's explained to everyone who enlists. In fact, in order to enlist for active duty, you have to sign two contracts. The first one puts you in the reserves, and the second one puts you on active duty, and the reason for that is explained to you in detail at the MEPS. Everyone who volunteers knows they're obligated to serve 8 years. Most aren't asked to, but they all know it's a possibility.

Since this is the first time in my memory that they have done this, I'll give the people who signed the contracts a break. There is no reason to take these same small number of people and make them serve over and over again in a war that puts their lives at risk. Worse, our government offers signing bonus's and then has the nerve to tell those who got the bonus's and ended up wounded that they wanted the money back because they didn't serve their time.

Have you ever served Dis? How would you like to be called back time after time? And if you haven't served, how dare you whine about these heroes because they don't want to serve time after time until that bullet with their name on it eventually finds them?

I remember the relief of each and every soldier I knew that came back from Nam having served their time. I can only imagine the horror if they'd been told they had to go back for both them and their friends and family.

Heck, my father was career military and even he only served in Nam once.

Who you kidding? I know people getting recalled all the time.. They go. It's what they signed up for. They probably don't like it, but again it's what they signed up for. They don't make excuses, and use their children as scapegoats.

Forum List

Back