NBC's Dr. Snyderman violates Ebola quarantine for a night out

And it gets me mad, because you know if you were a nurse or some other health professional who did this you'd lose your job and maybe your license. NBC should reprimand her for putting so many lives at risk.

Stat, not everyone upset with her putting hundreds if not thousands of lives at risk are RWs. Many people could of (and still can if she's contagious) die because of what she did.

I agree. I already said that she should be punished for having broken quarantine, of did you not read that far?

What I read was being called a Rightie/yahoo/RW circle-jerker. If that's not what you meant regarding everyone in this thread when you said "you" then I'd appreciate the clarification, please. When reading this article I wasn't even thinking of politics. Just "how dare you" on how this doctor didn't care about anyone else but herself. Just when I read you say "you ___," and it was only me, SL and a few others in this thread posting, it sort of looked like you were directing some of those comments towards me, when I'm not a Rightwinger at all.

You get to decide whether you are a Rightie Circle-Jerkererer.

Free country, dude.

And it gets me mad, because you know if you were a nurse or some other health professional who did this you'd lose your job and maybe your license. NBC should reprimand her for putting so many lives at risk.

Yep..and you know damn good and well if she told a patient they needed to be quarantined and they broke that quarantine because they felt fine? She'd go ape shit.

I placed the OP in Media, because I thought it was the best place for it. Ironic the media hunts down television personalities for this type of thing routinely. Well NBC?

Stat, I apprecaite your position that Dr. Snyderman made a mistake. That is further than many on the left would go.

The president has made many mistakes on the Ebola front in my opinion. That was the point behind my Ebola Czar comment. It certainly was not a factual statement, as you point out.

It's a health issue, not a political issue, and millions of lives hang in the balance. If I see Obama screwing this up, believe me, I will holler. And loud at that. But until now, and I have studied the statutes, he has made no mistakes. But Dr. Snyderman sure as hell did. That is totally inexcusable, what she did. Even after 21 days, no one can be completely for sure. And viruses also have the ability to mutate. She, as a doctor, should know it better than most. She should be fired, not because she works for a leftie News source, but because she is a doctor who broke her own oath.

BTW, I am still unhappy with Obama over Gitmo. He promised to close that abomination when he was elected, and the fucking thing is still there, against all of the principles we hold most dear. And that's not a Leftie/Rightie issue, that's an issue of our Constitution, which both sides claim to love. The illegal prison at Gitmo MUST go.

Yep..and you know damn good and well if she told a patient they needed to be quarantined and they broke that quarantine because they felt fine? She'd go ape shit.

If NBC thinks her hollow apology is good enough, when she could have spread ebola to thousands, then I'll likely just boycott them. Being in health care hearing this kind of irresponsible crap makes my blood boil. Sorry.

I don't understand the thinking on this quarantine thing. She is now under mandatory quarantine and yet her husband is free to come and go as he pleases. That doesn't make sense.

Unless there's something we dont know,yes it is a little odd.
More incompetence in the handling of ebola?
I think it is probably because there is little risk that she is infected and this quarantine is out of an abundance of caution.

But it makes you wonder. Why didn't Texas quarantine everyone that came into contact with Duncan at the hospital instead of just allowing them to self-monitor for symptoms? And what about all the people the nurse that came down with ebola interacted with? I've not seen anything about mass quarantine in Texas.

I don't understand the thinking on this quarantine thing. She is now under mandatory quarantine and yet her husband is free to come and go as he pleases. That doesn't make sense.

I think it is probably because there is little risk that she is infected and this quarantine is out of an abundance of caution.

But it makes you wonder. Why didn't Texas quarantine everyone that came into contact with Duncan at the hospital instead of just allowing them to self-monitor for symptoms? And what about all the people the nurse that came down with ebola interacted with? I've not seen anything about mass quarantine in Texas.

I'm all for it. We should shut down flights from infected areas,check all foreign passengers and lock down the border as well.

It seems like people that come in contact with Ebola are in denial a lot. The protocol's weak point is the removal of a contaminated suit. Apparently voluntary quarantine's weak point is being voluntary. These things need to be addressed.

We lived thru the SARS outbreak. I hope and pray that someone gets their shit together really soon at the CDC and start implementing stringent protocols.

Our hospitals started lockdowns to prevent the spread of the disease.

Here's just one link. It's a physicians first hand account of how harrowing an experience attempting to contain an epidemic is.

"In the next 8 days over 30 staff and physicians were hospitalized with SARS.

When the SARS crisis of 2003 was declared over, we followed directives from the government and public health and adopted new "standard procedures," including barrier precautions for the triage nurse and isolation measures for all patients with fever or respiratory symptoms.

The hospital continued screening staff and visitors, but most of the staff stopped wearing masks.

No sooner had we let our guard down, than we realized there was a new outbreak. This time, our hospital was the epicentre.

It seems that many hospital staff had unprotected exposure to patients later diagnosed with SARS.

Our emergency department and hospital were closed. The same day, our staff members began returning with fevers and symptoms of SARS.

The entire hospital staff and physicians were placed on work quarantine: We could work in the hospital, but otherwise had to remain at home, quarantined, for the next ten days.

We checked our temperatures twice daily; we slept and ate apart from our families. The hospital discharged and transferred all of its remaining patients, including one who had been in the ICU for more than a year.

Although the staff was on quarantine and there were no patients, apart from those with SARS, I still could not find a parking spot.

The hospital became a war zone.

A command centre was set up, task forces met; administrators and chiefs scurried to important meetings. There were overhead emergency announcements, midnight phone calls to staff and frequent email updates.

This was uncharted territory, and the navigation was challenging. Over the next week, the ED and its staff made an incredible transformation. Even though we were closed, we recognized a moral obligation to treat the staff that were sick:

Our ED became a diagnostic unit for hospital staff with SARS. In the next 8 days over 30 staff and physicians were hospitalized with SARS. Many more were assessed and discharged. Two more SARS units opened and were quickly filled.

More at link:

I am a SARS physician Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine

It seems like people that come in contact with Ebola are in denial a lot. The protocol's weak point is the removal of a contaminated suit. Apparently voluntary quarantine's weak point is being voluntary. These things need to be addressed.

Yep. Which is why they need to lock down travel from infected areas.
People will lie their asses off to get into the country for treatment.

Liberal progressives dont follow rules, they only apply to the little people

Seems like preventing Ebola is way cheaper than treating someone who gets it Ravi. Plus, as was noted in the Canadian article, we need the hospital staff healthy to treat patients.

Stat, I apprecaite your position that Dr. Snyderman made a mistake. That is further than many on the left would go.

The president has made many mistakes on the Ebola front in my opinion. That was the point behind my Ebola Czar comment. It certainly was not a factual statement, as you point out.

A mistake made by an EDUCATED dr. Is far worse than an oopsy moment. A mistake made by someone who saw hundreds die from the spread of this is a complete idiot.

Taking her license is the least society should do

Forum List

Back