NBC/WSJ poll: Heading into conventions, Obama has four-point lead

No, I'm simply confirming that you don't know what you're talking about.

You could just answer the question.....

^ That just confirms you're stupid...

Must be the math they use in blue states...

You seem to be avoiding the question. I don't blame ya.

Now again what should an accurate sample from each party be?

It should be even in terms of strong support for each party and to actually be accurate it should over sample those who consider themselves strong republicans because they will be the ones who are more fired up this election year and will vote in higher numbers. But that would be factored in with a likely voter poll. Also, its only August.

^ That just confirms you're stupid...

Must be the math they use in blue states...

It should be even in terms of strong support for each party

What leads you to believe that there is the same percentage of folks strongly supporting each party? How'd you arrive at such a conclusion?

I don't answer obvious questions - waste of time... The numbers were right in front of you...

With a sample of registered voters, an even split of R/D/I...

As stated before, it's not a very reliable source... It's what polling firms use when their clients don't want to spend the $ for an LV poll...
So you believe a split of 33.3% dems, 33.3% reps and 33.3% I's is a representative sample of the US voting-age population?

How did you arrive at that?

Should polls weight a sample as 25% black, 25% white, 25% Asian, 25% hispanic?

In a sample of registered voters, polling firms don't go that deep... You have to pay bigger bucks for that and many clients don't want to fork over the cash...

RV polls are the entry level, so splitting them evenly makes as much sense as anything...

It's RV... The "meh" of polling...

Last edited:
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
are you ADHD?

What is the actual breakdown of Dems and Republicans in the nation right now - and how did you arrive at your numbers?

Registered voters don't always vote... Getting someone to register is easier than getting them to come out and pull a lever...

Look at Wisconsin and the recall... Lots of registered democratics stayed home or voted Walker... Lots more registered R's came out in droves... Thats why polling before the election showed a close race yet Walker won easily...

But that's not what you said. You said a segment (I presume Dems) were oversampled.

How would you know what the population breakdown is in order to determine the proper sample?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
are you ADHD?

What is the actual breakdown of Dems and Republicans in the nation right now - and how did you arrive at your numbers?

Registered voters don't always vote... Getting someone to register is easier than getting them to come out and pull a lever...

Look at Wisconsin and the recall... Lots of registered democratics stayed home or voted Walker... Lots more registered R's came out in droves... Thats why polling before the election showed a close race yet Walker won easily...

But that's not what you said. You said a segment (I presume Dems) were oversampled.
Thats what the numbers represent, yes...

How would you know what the population breakdown is in order to determine the proper sample?
In a RV poll, you don't get that... You have to pay more for that...

Thats what the numbers represent, yes...[/quote]

How would you ever know that? By, perhaps, taking a poll to find out?

In a RV poll, you don't get that... You have to pay more for that...

No you don't. Tell us, how would this additional money be spent to determine an accurate breakdown?

Would it, for instance, poll a thousand or so random registered voters?

It should be even in terms of strong support for each party

What leads you to believe that there is the same percentage of folks strongly supporting each party? How'd you arrive at such a conclusion?

There is no real way to know, but any poll done over the last few years puts those who consider themselves repubs and dems at around 30 percent each. About 40 percent of people polled consider themselves as conservative and about 20 percent liberal. So based on that it should be about even. I dunno though. I'm no pollster but more polls end up being wrong then right. I guess Rasmussen usually nails the election results with his polls so however he does his sampling is probably correct.

Heading into the general election in 1980 Carter was up on Reagan by about 7 points.... how'd that work out?

:lol:
Reagan led in every major poll during the last week of the election, and virtually everyone in the two weeks leading up to Nov 4:

http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/Proceedings/papers/1981_011.pdf

Nov 1980, Gallup Pre-Election Poll

Carter 44%
Reagan 41%

General Election Polls: A History of Inaccuracy - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

There is no real way to know, but any poll done over the last few years puts those who consider themselves repubs and dems at around 30 percent each.

No, a poll done at the exact same time as the one mentioned above found a breakdown identical to this poll, using the exact same random sampling process!

Why would you trust some other poll more than the one done concurrent with this one?
I'm no pollster but more polls end up being wrong then right.

virtually every poll taken in the few days prior to the 2008 election was within the MoE - and of course, we fully expect approximately one out of every 20 to be outside that MoE.

Bottom line is Obama's owns $5,000,000,000,000 new debt, 40+ months of record unemployment, first credit downgrade in US history, housing markets in shitter, low/no GDP, etc. This is why he's talking about rubbers and Mitt Romney;s horses.

Heading into the general election in 1980 Carter was up on Reagan by about 7 points.... how'd that work out?

:lol:
Reagan led in every major poll during the last week of the election, and virtually everyone in the two weeks leading up to Nov 4:

http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/Proceedings/papers/1981_011.pdf

Nov 1980, Gallup Pre-Election Poll

Carter 44%
Reagan 41%

General Election Polls: A History of Inaccuracy - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Except the research I linked contradicts that, showing a long list of polls (including Gallup!) with Reagan holding a lead. And if that Yahoo story is accurate the poll is STILL accurate - it falls well within the MoE.

There is no real way to know, but any poll done over the last few years puts those who consider themselves repubs and dems at around 30 percent each.

No, a poll done at the exact same time as the one mentioned above found a breakdown identical to this poll, using the exact same random sampling process!

Why would you trust some other poll more than the one done concurrent with this one?
I'm no pollster but more polls end up being wrong then right.

virtually every poll taken in the few days prior to the 2008 election was within the MoE - and of course, we fully expect approximately one out of every 20 to be outside that MoE.

Its not a poll, its a trend of many polls done over an extended period of time. More accurate then just a single poll.

Forum List

Back