NBA in lockout after sides fail to reach new deal

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
NBA in lockout after sides fail to reach new deal

NBA-Players-Union,-league-representatives-meet-to-resolve-the-labour-dispute-73316.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — NBA players are locked out, possibly jeopardizing next season.

Union chief Billy Hunter said Thursday afternoon that owners had locked out the players after failing to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

With this latest action, two of four major professional sports in the United States are locked out. The NFL locked out its players in March, and the two sides have been in discussions this week, trying to work toward a new deal.

Despite a three-hour meeting Thursday, the NBA and its players could not close the enormous gap that remained in their positions. The CBA was due to expire at midnight.

All league business is officially on hold, starting with the free agency period that would have opened Friday, and games eventually could be lost, too. The last lockout reduced the 1998-99 season to just a 50-game schedule, the only time the NBA missed games for a work stoppage.

"We tried to avoid the lockout; unfortunately, we couldn't reach a deal," union executive committee member Matt Bonner said.

The sides remained far apart on just about every major issue, from salaries to the salary cap, revenues to revenue sharing.

Players, who previously offered to reduce their salaries by $500 million over five years, considered the owners' proposal for a "flex" cap, where each team would be targeted to spend $62 million, a hard cap. Although the league said total player compensation would never dip below $2 billion over the life of its proposed 10-year deal, that would amount to a pay cut for the players, who were paid more than $2.1 billion this season in salaries and benefits.

Owners also wanted a reduction in the players' guarantee of 57 percent of basketball revenues.

NBA in lockout after sides fail to reach new deal - Yahoo! News

Right when both the Bulls and Bears were starting to get good! It's hard to know who to side with. It's millionaires vs billionaires! The millionaires makes millions of dollars, and if they are smart, are set for life playing the game they love. The billionaires take all the risk, paid enormous salaries, but, if smart, also making a killing watching the game they love.

The fan pays enormous amounts of money, many time to watch a lackluster performance (there are always more bad teams then good ones) and get screwed at the concession stands. We pay the salaries and many times the players (LBJ, Clemens, Bonds etc) and owners (Bears, Cubs and Hawks owners) don't show the fans respect and even shit on them.

If the NBA misses even part of the season of 2011-2012, I'll go into withdrawl. But, thank God for NCAA Basketball.
With so many teams losing money, something had to be done about salaries, revenue sharing,,etc. The owners are probably as much at fault as the players. They install a "soft cap" and pay players outrageous salaries and these salaries are guaranteed. How many teams are over the cap? How about 24 out of 30. Sometimes throwing money at something doesn't guarantee a financial reward.
The players also have realize we live in very tough economic times and this sure seems like it's going to be a long haul. They are so lucky to be being paid what they are. Many of these players are making multi-million dollars for sitting on their ass either most of the game or the entire game! Below is a link for player salaries and what teams payrolls were the past year (the cap was at a little over 58 million).
HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

If the NBA misses even part of the season of 2011-2012, I'll go into withdrawl. But, thank God for NCAA Basketball.
With so many teams losing money, something had to be done about salaries, revenue sharing,,etc. The owners are probably as much at fault as the players. They install a "soft cap" and pay players outrageous salaries and these salaries are guaranteed. How many teams are over the cap? How about 24 out of 30. Sometimes throwing money at something doesn't guarantee a financial reward.
The players also have realize we live in very tough economic times and this sure seems like it's going to be a long haul. They are so lucky to be being paid what they are. Many of these players are making multi-million dollars for sitting on their ass either most of the game or the entire game! Below is a link for player salaries and what teams payrolls were the past year (the cap was at a little over 58 million).
HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

To be honest I can live if part of the season is gone, my Celtics are on a downward spiral anyways, have been ever since the stupid Perkins trade.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

To be honest I can live if part of the season is gone, my Celtics are on a downward spiral anyways, have been ever since the stupid Perkins trade.

The Perkins trade was huge, we agree on that!
Even though my Timberwolves have really, really sucked, next season could prove interesting with all the young talent they have and what they added last week (Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams). I'm not saying they will even be a playoff team, but they should be fun to watch, with a run & gun offense. But they desperately need a veteran closer. I think Minnesota is still the youngest team in the NBA and they are way under cap! (and they still lost money,,,,because they sucked)!

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

Even though my Timberwolves have really, really sucked, next season could prove interesting with all the young talent they have and what they added last week (Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams). I'm not saying they will even be a playoff team, but they should be fun to watch, with a run & gun offense. But they desperately need a veteran closer. I think Minnesota is still the youngest team in the NBA and they are way under cap! (and they still lost money,,,,because they sucked)!

Minnesota got some good players, Kevin Love is a stud, time will tell if they will gell into a good team though, you have to keep Kevin Love to go anywhere though.

Minnesota got some good players, Kevin Love is a stud, time will tell if they will gell into a good team though, you have to keep Kevin Love to go anywhere though.

Except I play better defense than Love, he has to be one of the worse defenders in the NBA.

Except I play better defense than Love, he has to be one of the worse defenders in the NBA.

Really? he is one of the best rebounders I have seen in a while, that 31 point 31 rebound game was outstanding.

Really? he is one of the best rebounders I have seen in a while, that 31 point 31 rebound game was outstanding.

Carlos Boozer is a great rebounder but that doesn't make him a great defender. Like Boozer, Love is very subpar on defense!

I absolutely hope there is no season.
Baseball has never been the same since the strike some 20 years ago.

The NBA has not been about basketball for a very long time, perhaps it needs to collapse so basketball can be a sport again.

Carlos Boozer is a great rebounder but that doesn't make him a great defender. Like Boozer, Love is very subpar on defense!

Wow to be honest I haven't really watched Love play outside of the World Championships and the All Star game, they don't really show that many Timberwolves games. He needs to step it up cause he has the size to be a good defender.

I absolutely hope there is no season.
Baseball has never been the same since the strike some 20 years ago.

The NBA has not been about basketball for a very long time, perhaps it needs to collapse so basketball can be a sport again.

I wouldn't mind the NBA having a lock out for a while so the Lakers and Miami Heat disintegrate and never win another championship.

Wow to be honest I haven't really watched Love play outside of the World Championships and the All Star game, they don't really show that many Timberwolves games. He needs to step it up cause he has the size to be a good defender.

I will say this for Kevin Love, the guy has improved greatly from year to year. He puts in the work to be the best player he can be. His stats sure show great improvement from year to year. Maybe and I hope,,,that during the summer and the lockout, he'll work on his defense. He knows that his defense is a hurtle to greatness for him. He is capable in defending most 5's but he has been playing mostly the 4 and doesn't have the mobility to guard other 4's. Most experts, based on the team's new composition feel that Love will be playing the 5 more often as the Wolves are loaded with long, tall and athletic 4's and 3's who can interchange positions. There has been talk about them playing four forwards and one guard in an effort to play very uptempo basketball.

I hate basketball, but this is ridiculous. It's as though they saw what is happening in the NFL and decided somehow it is a GOOD thing. At least the NFL is far and away the biggest sport in the US and can feel confident that once they resolve their problems they will retain a very strong fan base and income; for the other sports I would think there would be even more desperation not to upset the fans and potentially lose some of them with a lockout/shortened season/missed season.

At least MMA seems to be going strong, I've always got that to slake my sports needs!

I will say this for Kevin Love, the guy has improved greatly from year to year. He puts in the work to be the best player he can be. His stats sure show great improvement from year to year. Maybe and I hope,,,that during the summer and the lockout, he'll work on his defense. He knows that his defense is a hurtle to greatness for him. He is capable in defending most 5's but he has been playing mostly the 4 and doesn't have the mobility to guard other 4's. Most experts, based on the team's new composition feel that Love will be playing the 5 more often as the Wolves are loaded with long, tall and athletic 4's and 3's who can interchange positions. There has been talk about them playing four forwards and one guard in an effort to play very uptempo basketball.

I think Kevin Love will be fine, even with his crappy defense he is still one of the better big men in the league, I would love for my Celtics to have him.

I think Kevin Love will be fine, even with his crappy defense he is still one of the better big men in the league, I would love for my Celtics to have him.

What are the Celtics going to do about there aging team? I see they offered Jeff Green a qualifying offer.

What are the Celtics going to do about there aging team? I see they offered Jeff Green a qualifying offer.

The Celtics are not going to win with the big 3 they have, Pierce, Allen and Garnett are past their primes and are just good role players at this, not all stars. We could see it in the Heat series where Garnett was routinely outplayed by Chris Bosh, 2 years ago Garnett would have mopped the floor with him. Trading Perkins was insane, Kendrick was the identity of this Celtics squad, he didn't put up big numbers on the stat sheet but he was the defensive anchor and the toughness of the team, they are not the same squad without him. The Celtics need to stop going after aging players like Rasheed Wallace, Shaq, Stephon Marbury etc its time to get younger and healthier, we need to start re-building the team around Rondo. We need to keep Jeff Green and Delonte West if we can, we need to go after a center, I heard Tyson Chandler and Nene are available. We are not going to win a championship with this current team but we can at least set the table for Rondo to be the face of the franchise in the future, we are going to need to steal a big name like Blake Griffin or Monte Ellis in the future to help Rondo and get some younger role players, letting Tony Allen go was also a big loss.

Yeah, Tony Allen made his mark with the Grizzlies and showed how importnat having great role players really are. Miami also showed how important good role players are,,they really don't have any and it cost them big time.
If a hard cap is instituted, teams trying to rebuild with older-past their prime players on their roster are going to have a rough time rebuilding,,not good for Boston or the Lakers.

Forum List

Back