Navy wastes $760 million on anti-torpedo system

Gotta keep trying. I don't want to lose a $4.5 billion carrier to a Chinese YU-8 torpedo that only cost them a couple hundred thousand to make.

The Navy is like any other bureaucratic agency. It's primary agenda is to get bigger and get more funding. When you consider that a U.S. warship was attacked a couple of years ago and almost sunk by a gaggle of teenage terrorists in a speedboat it's hard to justify a billion dollars in anti-torpedo technology when the likelyhood of another high seas global war is almost nil. The money could be better used to fight the IED menace that kills and maims so many U.S. servicemen.

America’s billion dollar ships and aircraft can blow up rubble in 3rd word nations better than anything in all of human history. Give our defense contractors more money!

Gotta keep trying. I don't want to lose a $4.5 billion carrier to a Chinese YU-8 torpedo that only cost them a couple hundred thousand to make.
Wouldn’t that be something.

Yeah, you'd probably like that, wouldn't you?
No, you retard

How could anyone not perceive your intent as such?

Especially when you followed it up with "America’s billion dollar ships and aircraft can blow up rubble in 3rd word nations better than anything in all of human history."

You seem to have a problem with American military power. I blame it on your ameriphobia.

No, you retard

Especially when you followed it up with "America’s billion dollar ships and aircraft can blow up rubble in 3rd word nations better than anything in all of human history."

You seem to have a problem with American military power. I blame it on your ameriphobia.
I have a problem with the possibility of losing “a $4.5 billion carrier to a Chinese YU-8 torpedo that only cost them a couple hundred thousand to make.” But you go ahead and keep getting your dick hard over America intimidating 3rd world wastelands. Remember spending $100 million to bomb that landing strip in Syria that was back in operation the next day? Such power!

I agree since that torpedo may be fired by the Iran Revolutionary Guard in the Strait of Hormuz.

No, you retard

I have a problem with the possibility of losing “a $4.5 billion carrier to a Chinese YU-8 torpedo that only cost them a couple hundred thousand to make.” But you go ahead and keep getting your dick hard over America intimidating 3rd world wastelands. Remember spending $100 million to bomb that landing strip in Syria that was back in operation the next day? Such power!

You may not be all that concerned about it now, but I guarantee that you will when that first Iranian nuke goes off near your neighborhood, showering you with 10 Gy of gamma rays from the radioactive fallout.

Be sure to thank Obama for helping to finance your slow grisly death from radiation poisoning.

America’s billion dollar ships and aircraft can blow up rubble in 3rd word nations better than anything in all of human history. Give our defense contractors more money!
our military was drastically under funded/cut down 6 Dec 1941

This leaves the US Navy's surface ships with almost no defense against a submarine's primary anti-surface weapon at a time when the service says that Russia's and China's submarine fleets have rapidly grown to pose a major threat to US ships.
hahahahhahahahahhahahhah DUBMSHIT
the carriers have anti-sub aircraft
they have DDs that provide defense for the carriers
US subs can be used to hunt enemy subs
There are also eight Boeing Harpoon surface-to-surface missiles and Lockheed Martin ASROC vertical launch anti-submarine systems, armed with the mk50 or mk46 torpedo. ASROC is launched from the mk41 VLS.
Arleigh Burke-Class (Aegis) Destroyer, US Navy, Northrop Grumman
etc etc

...SFGATE--San Fran where they give illegals $190,00 for being illegal/love illegals/fruitcakes/deviants
...let people go into restaurants/in public nude
...bought a BRIDGE from China
SFGATE = anti-America

I have a problem with the possibility of losing “a $4.5 billion carrier to a Chinese YU-8 torpedo that only cost them a couple hundred thousand to make.”
You kind of need a submarine to go around that torpedo, which costs a bit more.

Well with a carrier today, most of it's defense is passive or outside the ship. There's the group which always comes with a carrier. That allows carriers to not have to carry active sonar and hiding it better, as well as those ships being stationed and searching 20+ miles out for any sign of subs.

Then the sheer size helps out a carrier. Instead of thicker steel, carriers have a setup of voids alternately filled and empty at and below the waterline that act like a crumple zone in a car.

The biggest worry is when transiting tight waterways. Straight of Hormuz, straight of Malacca.. Those area's where the waterways are full of ships and their noise and where the direction of the carrier is known and limited.

The Navy is like any other bureaucratic agency. It's primary agenda is to get bigger and get more funding. When you consider that a U.S. warship was attacked a couple of years ago and almost sunk by a gaggle of teenage terrorists in a speedboat it's hard to justify a billion dollars in anti-torpedo technology when the likelyhood of another high seas global war is almost nil. The money could be better used to fight the IED menace that kills and maims so many U.S. servicemen.

The Cole was not "almost sunk". Where did you get such a silly idea? They were sitting in port, next to a pier!

Forum List

Back