Navy should prepare for polar ice melt

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE, Japan — The U.S. Navy must better prepare as other nations rush to claim the Arctic Ocean’s resources in the wake of climate change, according to a recently released National Academy of Sciences report.

Current trends indicate that much of the Arctic’s ice will melt by 2030, clearing the way for cross-Arctic transit.

The Navy should prepare for conflict in the wake of the many competing claims to the Arctic, according to the study that was released March 10.

Advertisement“Although the likelihood of conflict in the Arctic is low, it cannot be ruled out, and competition in the region is a given,” the study said. “According to information presented to the committee, the U.S. military as a whole has lost most of its competence in cold-weather operations for high-Arctic warfare.”

Navy should bolster preparations for Arctic melt, study says - News - Stripes

the article chris posted is from the Stars and Stripes....i'd hardly put that in a partisan category Q....

i did read just a few years ago that the navy was working plans for the new arctic waterway opening so i agree they are probably planning already.

the article chris posted is from the Stars and Stripes....i'd hardly put that in a partisan category Q....

i did read just a few years ago that the navy was working plans for the new arctic waterway opening so i agree they are probably planning already.

Where did I say it was partisan, I said Chris is stupid.

Nations meet over Arctic claims - Europe - Al Jazeera English

Nations with competing claims to the Arctic region are meeting in Moscow, Russia's capital, in a bid to ensure the region does not become a battleground for resources.

Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, Iceland's president, called for "Cold War" tensions between the countries to end as he spoke on the sidelines of the summit on Wednesday.

"Countries should not discuss territorial claims against each other, but engage in dialogue," Russia's Itar-Tass news agency quoted him as saying.

Hundreds of delegates from all around the world, including Canada, Denmark, Norway, Russia and the United States - who have each laid claims to the Arctic - are at the forum to work out how to divide up the Arctic seabed, which is rich in mineral resources.

Sergei Shoigu, Russia's emergencies minister and president of the Russian Geographical Society, said it would "present the world community with a picture of the region's future as it is seen by the Russian experts", RIA Novosti reported.

Lomonosov Ridge

On Tuesday Russia's natural resources minister said Arctic territories belonging to his country held 100 billion tonnes of oil and gas.

Moscow is one of three countries planning to file claims to the United Nations to prove their respective rights to the Lomonosov Ridge, an underwater mountain range.

Countries lay claim to Arctic in battle for oil and gas reserves - Nature, Environment - The Independent

Nations laid out their claims to territory in the polar North yesterday and the vast untapped mineral wealth that lies under the Arctic Ocean.

Shrinking polar ice has opened up new opportunities, with five nations – Russia, Canada, Denmark, Norway and the US – claiming jurisdiction over parts of the polar region which could contain as much of one quarter of the world's undiscovered reserves of oil and gas.

Related articles
Leading article: A chance to avert a new cold war
Search the news archive for more stories
Russia's Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, will attend the Arctic Forum in Moscow today as the stakes in the battle for control of the Arctic become ever higher. Russia, Canada and Denmark have all said they will file claims to the UN over an undersea mountain range called the Lomonosov Ridge, an area which some Russian scientists say could hold 75 billion barrels of oil. They all say the ridge is an underwater extension of their continental shelves.

Russia first submitted a claim in 2001, which was rejected. But now the Russians say they have gathered more evidence to support their Arctic claim, including a set of samples taken from the seabed, collected by an expedition that journeyed to the Arctic this year.

Hardly.

When are you going to apologize and admit that the reactor rods in reactors 4, 5, an 6, don't have a containment vessel because the only rods in 4, 5, and 6 are in the spent fuel tank?

Last edited:

Hardly.

When are you going to apologize and admit that the reactor rods in reactors 4, 5, an 6, don't have a containment vessel because the only rods in 4, 5, and 6 are in the spent fuel tank?

Probably about the same time you admit you are wrong.

Forum List

Back