Navy Seal as a father for some

I am entering my last year of Medical School.

Wow! You must be one hell of a student!!! My son is in pre-Med and he doesn't even have time to call me or log onto the Internet. He's sleeping right now!! Home on break. This semester he averaged 20 hour days. And now he's home working 8 hour days. I don't know how he does it!
You're at 9,000 posts and Med School?
Wow!!! How do you have time for fun?

Are you being serious or calling me out?

In truth, you could spend every free second of your life studying medicine for the rest of your life and not know it all. Somewhere along the line, you realize that you have to budget some time for yourself. I am in my third year of medical school, which is when you are on core rotations. It's more of OJT and less "academic". I am already past the first two years and "Step I". I am currently on an ER rotation, so from 0700 to 1500 I was in the ER on shift (which was a really good shift, incidentally). This will be my last rotation before I enter my senior year and basically take electives and try and match into the residency I want to do.

I think the demands of Med School are a little overstated. The first year is hell, but half of being in Med School is learning how to be a Medical Student. Once you figure out the game, it becomes more manageable or maybe it's because I am older and have a little different perspective.

I come here to blow off some steam. This is far from the top of my priorities for leisure time. Spending time with my wife is the top of that list, but she's at the lake this weekend (as I have shifts all weekend).

If you stick around here for a couple of years, as I had, 9000 posts averages out to 2-3 posts per day.

Good luck to your son. If he's swinging 20 hours and doing well, he'll do fine in Med School.

As for being "a hell of a student". I am mediocre. I work my ass off to be mediocre (in spite of posting here occasionally). I will never stop learning or working to be better, so I am fine with it.

Nah - not calling you out son. Best of luck to you.

What we're talking about here is NOT "brainwashing"; but a selection and training process designed to produce troops whose physical, intellectual and emotional abilities , as well as their motivation and dedication, allow them to perform missions in environments and situations which are far more extreme than the conventional combat soldier can be expected to cope with effectively. As an old Special Forces recruiting poster put it, "People join us not because we are different...but because they are". The fact is, though, that just as no selection and training process can produce a man that is bulletproof, it can't produce a man who is emotionally unbreakable, either. These are still men, not automatons, and every man has a breaking point. Just as the armed forces know and accept that a certain proportion of these men will be killed or wounded in doing the missions they are tasked with, they also know and accept that some will be damaged or destroyed emotionally. We're talking extraordinarily skilled and resilient, not indestructible. The man being discussed here is a case in point; something he had to do or see broke him, as it has many others. It's not about brainwashing, but about the extreme missions such operators are tasked with performing. This is just one more part of the cruel calculus of war, and especially that of unconventional warfare. It's not the military's fault, and it's not the individual's fault. The breaking point for these personnel may be both well beyond and different from that of most ordinary people, but it is there, nonetheless, and for reasons we cannot know this man reached his. What I've seen described here is severe PTSD, and those of us who have experienced that would recognize it as such. It's an occupational hazard for any combatant, and "brainwashing" has nothing to do with it, nothing at all.

You are correct.

Some can handle it, others can't.

I know a British Royal Marine who is one of the highest trained soldiers in their military. He is made of steel and yet sometimes.........

But he knows his calling is to his country and the men he serves with, and everything else comes second. That's why he's the best at what he does.

Like you said, some can handle the intense training, others can't

Those that have 'inner demons' need to get help through the VA or elsewhere.

Marines, SEALs.... any of our military.... they are human beings, not robots. But I suspect not many would want their service, or their issues, being discussed by a bunch of strangers on a messageboard.

Personally, I doubt the OP has said one truthful word since she joined the board... and I find it offensive that she would use those who serve in our military to satisfy some sick fantasy of hers.

What is your major malfunction? I find it rather offensive that all you do is spread your negativity around like some whore with venereal disease. You're a vulture. A bottom feeder. How absolutely desperate you must to be to waste your time being a cyber bully. How destitute and empty. Can you not find something more fulfilling and enriching to do with yourself? The venomous hate you spew comes from within. I know from experience that making someone else suffer doesn't make your pain go away.

What makes you think she lies?

Last edited:
Wow! You must be one hell of a student!!! My son is in pre-Med and he doesn't even have time to call me or log onto the Internet. He's sleeping right now!! Home on break. This semester he averaged 20 hour days. And now he's home working 8 hour days. I don't know how he does it!
You're at 9,000 posts and Med School?
Wow!!! How do you have time for fun?

Are you being serious or calling me out?

In truth, you could spend every free second of your life studying medicine for the rest of your life and not know it all. Somewhere along the line, you realize that you have to budget some time for yourself. I am in my third year of medical school, which is when you are on core rotations. It's more of OJT and less "academic". I am already past the first two years and "Step I". I am currently on an ER rotation, so from 0700 to 1500 I was in the ER on shift (which was a really good shift, incidentally). This will be my last rotation before I enter my senior year and basically take electives and try and match into the residency I want to do.

I think the demands of Med School are a little overstated. The first year is hell, but half of being in Med School is learning how to be a Medical Student. Once you figure out the game, it becomes more manageable or maybe it's because I am older and have a little different perspective.

I come here to blow off some steam. This is far from the top of my priorities for leisure time. Spending time with my wife is the top of that list, but she's at the lake this weekend (as I have shifts all weekend).

If you stick around here for a couple of years, as I had, 9000 posts averages out to 2-3 posts per day.

Good luck to your son. If he's swinging 20 hours and doing well, he'll do fine in Med School.

As for being "a hell of a student". I am mediocre. I work my ass off to be mediocre (in spite of posting here occasionally). I will never stop learning or working to be better, so I am fine with it.

Nah - not calling you out son. Best of luck to you.

Thank you. And to you and yours as well.

Off topic, but I always find it ironic that physicians are often times the most resistant to seek psychiatric help.
She saw some horrific shit. They saw the after affects of combat, when 10, 15, 20, wounded would be dumped in their laps at a time, day after day after day......She was treating dudes who were no more than two years older than her high school sophomore aged son back home..........She lived in denial for many years. Drowned it out through alcohol and men.....It wasn't until she tore her house completely apart after her last husband left her, that she realized her problems were far more than she could handle on her own.

I just watched this three part series on PBS:

Wisconsin Vietnam War Stories - Part 1: Escalation | Wisconsin War Stories | PBS Video

and it was wonderful. They did a great job of covering the perspective of many different jobs from the Grunts to Surgical Nurses that saw this kind of carnage.

The most touching story to me was from a Pastor who had been at Khe Sanh for the entire siege. He had seen and been through months and months of carnage. Yet, when he talked on the camera, the one thing that upset him the most (visibly as he started weeping) was that when he finally go to the rear, and got off the chopper, he went to the mess hall and none of the REMF officers would sit by him. It says so much. A man can go through a lot, but if you insult their dignity, that's so much more poignant and hurtful 40+ years after the fact.

I find it ironic that, in Medical School we all have to study psychiatry, but then we tend to ignore the pathological facet of psychiatric illness after we get out of the obligatory 1-2 months of school that we have to go through. Even if you hated surgery (like me), you don't blow off small bowel obstruction, appendicitis, or any of the other multitude of problems that only surgery can fix. Yet, it's not the same for psychiatry.

I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the link. I love PBS. Good stuff.

Off topic, but I always find it ironic that physicians are often times the most resistant to seek psychiatric help.

Interesting.
Where did you learn this?

Why not join the Army and see if your crackpot theory pans out? I hope you aren't planning to practice in the psychocology field because you must have skipped the class on anecdotal accounts not being worth a damn. I know a gracious lady who was an Army nurse in Korea. Does that make us even?

Interesting.

Why not join the Army and see if your crackpot theory pans out? I hope you aren't planning to practice in the psychocology field because you must have skipped the class on anecdotal accounts not being worth a damn. I know a gracious lady who was an Army nurse in Korea. Does that make us even?

WFT are you talking about? How did your deranged mind conclude that I had a problem with Army Nurses? I don't.

I don't have a "theory", I have an opinion like every other asshole in this joint.

I've already done my time in the Army and combat, thank you very much.

I think its a knee jerk need to say something mean due to which political side of the aisle you are on.

Cali did the same thing

Why?

I feel so sorry for my dad but then I get so angry because he seems so whacked at times. My family and friends keep trying to tell me that I don't know what it's like to live his life. Yes, I do. He created me. I lived with him and saw his actions, PTSD, night terrors, paranoia, and also the fantastic fun times when he wasn't having a flash back. He's amazing but scary too. I miss him. We haven't spoken in a year because he thought I was out to ruin him and what he has worked for. He didn't call me for my birthday and i just want to know if he is ok.

Anyone out there know what it's like to be a navy seal or a child of a navy seal who became damaged after war? Any responses will be appreciated.

I served for 10 years. 8 active and 2 inactive in the Marines (infantry). Anyone willing to commit to the Seals and their massive deployment/training scheduel has a rough time taking care of things at home and it can be frustrating if the homefront isnt right. Plus, when your accustomed to life in the military home can look disorganised. Not to mention when your at home no one really gives a crap or understands your service so you keep alot bottled up (this is bad and you need to talk to him about his job and show interest, especially in public conversations. do not solicit for the conversation! he will chose this time). The worst kind of PTSD, of course, is guilt PTSD. It comes from killing those other than combatants even though you really couldent avoid it. This sits on your mind and makes you feel like shit. Let me ask you a question. Does he talk rapidly and make jokes about things that arent really funny?

Last edited:

WFT are you talking about? How did your deranged mind conclude that I had a problem with Army Nurses? I don't.

I don't have a "theory", I have an opinion like every other asshole in this joint.

I've already done my time in the Army and combat, thank you very much.

I don't think you had a problem with Army nurses son. I think you have a problem with the truth. Anybody who bases an opinion on one observation needs to redo med school.

Why?

I feel so sorry for my dad but then I get so angry because he seems so whacked at times. My family and friends keep trying to tell me that I don't know what it's like to live his life. Yes, I do. He created me. I lived with him and saw his actions, PTSD, night terrors, paranoia, and also the fantastic fun times when he wasn't having a flash back. He's amazing but scary too. I miss him. We haven't spoken in a year because he thought I was out to ruin him and what he has worked for. He didn't call me for my birthday and i just want to know if he is ok.

Anyone out there know what it's like to be a navy seal or a child of a navy seal who became damaged after war? Any responses will be appreciated.

I served for 10 years. 8 active and 2 inactive in the Marines (infantry). Anyone willing to commit to the Seals and their massive deployment/training scheduel has a rough time taking care of things at home and it can be frustrating if the homefront isnt right. Plus, when your accustomed to life in the military home can look disorganised. Not to mention when your at home no one really gives a crap or understands your service so you keep alot bottled up (this is bad and you need to talk to him about his job and show interest, especially in public conversations. do not solicit for the conversation! he will chose this time). The worst kind of PTSD, of course, is guilt PTSD. It comes from killing those other than combatants even though you really couldent avoid it. This sits on your mind and makes you feel like shit. Let me ask you a question. Does he talk rapidly and make jokes about things that arent really funny?

I haven't talked to him in a year but yes, he's always done that. Why? Just curious as to why you asked.

Im sure the vets who have made this type of sacrafice would not like you to council their children through these types of problems.

You see they love these children even if you dont.

I have no evidence other than the OPs bullshit claims about a SEAL 'father'. I personally don't see why anyone who had a SEAL for a parent would be discussing that parent's personal issues on a public message board.

So, if I believed a work she said, maybe - MAYBE - you would have a point.... however, again, you make up facts to suit your own hatred. Hence you are a septic tank... full of shit.

That was my point when I responded. You don't have to be a SEAL to see some bad things.

ANY service member is subject to life-altering experiences.

My Dad - 90 years old, WW2 vet, has told me some INCREDIBLE things that occurred in the Pacific. And I mean incredible!

I come from a military family. I know what they go through. Hence my rebuke of the OP... not that I believe her crap... but, if it is true... it is disloyal to discuss it on a public message board.

Cali girl your hate is eating you alive.

Stop and breath a minute and try to find some shred of human compassion.

Interesting.

GTH did his time.....Combat time. Not that far from where I did my first tour in that hellhole known as the 'stan. We've talked quite a few times in PM, he's no poseur, he's the real deal........Not only that, he's RANGER qualified......Next time, White, know what you are talking about before going into attack mode.

Last edited:
Why?

I haven't talked to him in a year but yes, he's always done that. Why? Just curious as to why you asked.

Because he is trying to keep his mind occupied. He doesent know it but he is. When people often have stuff on their mind that, either they want to forget or want to talk about but is currently off topic, they talk 90 miles per hour and joke about the weirdest things from stupid jokes to morbid humor. If he sneaks things about the military in on the conversations he wants to talk about his service. Civilians will hear him speak and not respond to him and or leave him alone because his stories and jokes are both taylored toward the military and, lets face it, how do you talk to a guy who's seen what he has and lived how he lived? Not too many people can match such a conversation with a related story. This shuts him off from the outside world. A simple conversation among friends back home isnt going to intreige him much. When he hangs around vets though he will talk for hours. It is important that you ask him about his job, training, travel, etc, and let him open up to you. HOWEVER, if you only THINK he has PTSD and do not know for sure, do not assume that he does and do not accuse him of having it! This will piss him off as it did when my crazy sister attempted to do the same thing to me. Also DO NOT assume you know what his life is like because, lets face it, his life is more his service to his country than his family. Thats why military service does not end with the service member. PTSD isnt necessarily a bad thing. In many cases its a condition that you develope to keep yourself alive. But that PTSD that comes from guilt is the worst. Only he can determin that he needs help in this reguard and if he does you or someone else in the family will know it because he will ask for it if they pay attention. Anyway I could go on for hours about this stuff but it is real important that when he is home he doesent run in to alot of stress whether it be bills, the cleanlyness of the house, or people asking him to devote his time to something he doesent want to do. Time with family between deployments and training cycles should be a peacful time for the servicemember. He busts his ass and the last thing he wants is problems when he comes home. Damn I'm rambleing but be advised that I am not a doctor and I am not qualified to speak on these matters. I just know alot of combat vets in combat arms jobs. Most people who have PTSD will refuse to admit to it and most people who admit to it are lieing after they get out for some quick VA money. What does this mean? No one knows how to treat PTSD. But then again, I'm not a doctor.

Forum List

Back