Navy Seal as a father for some

The military does brainwash soldiers. They brainwash the Seals & Special Forces even more. There are even secret levels of brainwashing that is performed on certain groups that go as far as the “Manchurian Candidate".

It would probably be best for you to learn what Physiological Training the US Military gave your father in order for you to better understand him & maybe even help him adjust back into a regular modern society.

You can start here: Developing the “Killer Instinct” in Your Soldiers

Thank you because I have always felt it from him after he lectured or " fathered us" but never had proof. I too have thought of killing(just mean men), and I don't know why.

The US Military really should do a better job of deprogramming these soldiers before discharging them & sending them back into civilization. His thoughts are more like a primitive animal than human. Most girls & women are usually are more sympathetic, tender, kind & have more goodwill, sensitivity & caring for their fellow man ("Humanity") to start with than most men. It will take a lot for many ex-soldiers to place "Humanity" above their own survival/killer instinct again.

I was actually just talking about this with her. I completely agree there isn't enough done to re-socialize these soldiers when they come back from war. The military claims they have programs in place to help soldiers with the psychological troubles of war. Many are afraid to seek that help, b/c what they don't tell you is the military can and will discharge you for medical reasons. Then what? There goes your career. It is no wonder most of them are reluctant to even admit there is a problem.

All this reminds me of a documentary I saw on PBS not too long ago. "The Wounded Platoon"

Read this:
Watch The Full Program Online | The Wounded Platoon | FRONTLINE | PBS

Watch this:
video.pbs.org/video/1497566525

If you state your father was "brainwashed", then it's quite clear that you don't have a fucking clue......And that makes your entire story completely suspect.

It is MORE than clear YOU don't have a, as you put it, FUCKING clue.

I thought you were not to post again. That's what your buddy said.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/168584-would-you-take-a-life-25.html#post3685537
Post #242

What are you the gestapo? Quit being a message board Nazi. I don't even know what she said and she's MY friend. Are you really keeping tabs on us? Lame. I don't know why I/we are such a concern to you.

Besides that, everything has been handled. Not that it's any of your business. But thanks. Please don't derail the thread.

PTSD, night terrors, paranoia,
boo-fucking-hoo

Was he conscripted and forced to become a SEAL? If not, then too-fucking-bad. He made the decision to become a SEAL.

You are right. He made the decision to continue his career to become a SEAL. However, he did not ask to be drafted during the Vietnam War. That decision was made for him and the countless others in his life.

I never asked to be born and bred by a father that was brainwashed by the stellar institution we call the US Military. It takes a certain mindset to be able to do what they must in the name of freedom and liberty. I was merely asking if anyone else could relate to what I have experienced.

Your apathy towards our servicemen and women disturbs me. Many of our national heros are afflicted with very serious repercussions for serving our country... and those consequences often impact innocents. Family and friends are the forgotten casualties of war.

He got drafted into the Navy ? My uncle got drafted waiting to get into the navy in 1968. He told me there was actually a waiting list to get in. My Father joined the army. He was in the L.R.R.P.S. in Vietnam. As he told it, draftees were generally avoided at the time due to the fact that they did not want to be there and the work was dangerous. He was for the most part well adjusted, but partied to much. He did that before his experience in the Army though. Never told war stories, but he would talk about people and places. He even had good memories of his time in the Army and Vietnam. He just kept the bad to him self.

Why?

I feel so sorry for my dad but then I get so angry because he seems so whacked at times. My family and friends keep trying to tell me that I don't know what it's like to live his life. Yes, I do. He created me. I lived with him and saw his actions, PTSD, night terrors, paranoia, and also the fantastic fun times when he wasn't having a flash back. He's amazing but scary too. I miss him. We haven't spoken in a year because he thought I was out to ruin him and what he has worked for. He didn't call me for my birthday and i just want to know if he is ok.

Anyone out there know what it's like to be a navy seal or a child of a navy seal who became damaged after war? Any responses will be appreciated.

I know an Army Ranger that is like that. Wacked out and crazy from his days as an Army Ranger.

These Vets need to get the help they need, instead of pretending nothing is wrong.

My father was an Army Ranger. I didn't see him that much growing up, but there were definitely times his reaction to situations favored the crazy side. Maybe if he had actually been around I would have more input on the matter, personally speaking anyways.

Last edited:
I'll take declassified C.I.A. documents acquired via FOIA request over the ranting of some moron like you on the interwebs :thup:
Her Navy SEAL father was NOT brainwashed, PERIOD!

And, you never killed ANYBODY, you lying ass piece o' shit....Yeah, I saw that other thread, douchebag......You're so full o' shit!

This is true among all special operators. They are encouraged and trained to think outside the box and independently. Special operators are probably among the most independent members of our military.

I apologize for saying, "brainwashed". He became scary to me at times... Especially when he started drinking and having flashbacks.

One 4th of July he had to go to the basement and wear earplugs because the fireworks that were blasting made him nervous. I was ten at the time and I remember following him down there and asked if he was ok. I could clearly see he wasn't. He replied in a scared voice and said, "please let me be. I'll be upstairs soon.". I never understood that moment until years later as to why he seemed so frightened.

I would like to also say I am not saying all military are like this. I am only speaking from MY experience with MY father. There are amazing people who are in the military and have never acted the way dad did/does.

What we're talking about here is NOT "brainwashing"; but a selection and training process designed to produce troops whose physical, intellectual and emotional abilities , as well as their motivation and dedication, allow them to perform missions in environments and situations which are far more extreme than the conventional combat soldier can be expected to cope with effectively. As an old Special Forces recruiting poster put it, "People join us not because we are different...but because they are". The fact is, though, that just as no selection and training process can produce a man that is bulletproof, it can't produce a man who is emotionally unbreakable, either. These are still men, not automatons, and every man has a breaking point. Just as the armed forces know and accept that a certain proportion of these men will be killed or wounded in doing the missions they are tasked with, they also know and accept that some will be damaged or destroyed emotionally. We're talking extraordinarily skilled and resilient, not indestructible. The man being discussed here is a case in point; something he had to do or see broke him, as it has many others. It's not about brainwashing, but about the extreme missions such operators are tasked with performing. This is just one more part of the cruel calculus of war, and especially that of unconventional warfare. It's not the military's fault, and it's not the individual's fault. The breaking point for these personnel may be both well beyond and different from that of most ordinary people, but it is there, nonetheless, and for reasons we cannot know this man reached his. What I've seen described here is severe PTSD, and those of us who have experienced that would recognize it as such. It's an occupational hazard for any combatant, and "brainwashing" has nothing to do with it, nothing at all.

What we're talking about here is NOT "brainwashing"; but a selection and training process designed to produce troops whose physical, intellectual and emotional abilities , as well as their motivation and dedication, allow them to perform missions in environments and situations which are far more extreme than the conventional combat soldier can be expected to cope with effectively. As an old Special Forces recruiting poster put it, "People join us not because we are different...but because they are". The fact is, though, that just as no selection and training process can produce a man that is bulletproof, it can't produce a man who is emotionally unbreakable, either. These are still men, not automatons, and every man has a breaking point. Just as the armed forces know and accept that a certain proportion of these men will be killed or wounded in doing the missions they are tasked with, they also know and accept that some will be damaged or destroyed emotionally. We're talking extraordinarily skilled and resilient, not indestructible. The man being discussed here is a case in point; something he had to do or see broke him, as it has many others. It's not about brainwashing, but about the extreme missions such operators are tasked with performing. This is just one more part of the cruel calculus of war, and especially that of unconventional warfare. It's not the military's fault, and it's not the individual's fault. The breaking point for these personnel may be both well beyond and different from that of most ordinary people, but it is there, nonetheless, and for reasons we cannot know this man reached his. What I've seen described here is severe PTSD, and those of us who have experienced that would recognize it as such. It's an occupational hazard for any combatant, and "brainwashing" has nothing to do with it, nothing at all.

You are correct.

Some can handle it, others can't.

I know a British Royal Marine who is one of the highest trained soldiers in their military. He is made of steel and yet sometimes.........

But he knows his calling is to his country and the men he serves with, and everything else comes second. That's why he's the best at what he does.

Like you said, some can handle the intense training, others can't

Those that have 'inner demons' need to get help through the VA or elsewhere.

You are correct.

Some can handle it, others can't.

I know a British Royal Marine who is one of the highest trained soldiers in their military. He is made of steel and yet sometimes.........

But he knows his calling is to his country and his men he serves with, and everything else comes second. That's why he's the best at what he does.

Like you said, some can handle the intense training, others can't

Those that have 'inner demons' need to get help through the VA or elsewhere.
EZ,
I wish it were that simple; unfortunately, Vietnam was a great place to pick up those ghosts and demons; I've watched 'Nam and its aftereffects destroy some of the finest men and soldiers I ever knew. We know a lot more about PTSD now than we did back then, but there still are no guarantees; even improved screening and treatment isn't reaching everyone who needs help, and back then....well, it wasn't that the VA didn't try; they just didn't know how to help a lot of us. Some guys seemed OK when they came home, only to have the symptoms come on, years later; others who seemed like basket cases were much better in a few months; PTSD affects everyone a little differently. Support helps, therapy sometimes helps, medication sometimes helps, the passage of time sometimes helps, but for most it's a long journey out of a very dark place. About all I know is that it's unpredictable, and no one is immune. It can leave a draftee untouched, and strike down the toughest professional. Most of us were OK in-country; it was after we came home that the problems started.

Really, I feel like I've been one of the lucky ones; I made it through the worst of it, and now it's not so bad; it's still there, but it hasn't destroyed my life like it has so many. It still hurts, though, to see the guys who are still in that dark, scary place, because I've felt what they feel, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I personally think the OP is full of bullshit and this thread is yet another one of her lies.

However, on the off chance that it's true.... I personally find it incredibly disloyal to:

a. badmouth your parent on a message board.

b. announce to people that your Dad was a Navy SEAL.

Smokin' kat? Smokin' fucking idiot.

Thank you gadfly for you response. I enjoyed it. Your explanation put things in a better perspective.

I personally think the OP is full of bullshit and this thread is yet another one of her lies.

However, on the off chance that it's true.... I personally find it incredibly disloyal to:

Haven't you talked about your dad being a Marine?

California Girl? Alcoholic Bitch!

Haven't you talked about your dad being a Marine?

California Girl? Alcoholic Bitch!

Idiot. Marines are not SEALs. Marines don't have to hide their affiliation... SEALS do.

If everyone who claimed to be a SEAL actually was a SEAL, we'd have more fucking SEALs than Marines. Likewise with those who claim that a family member was a SEAL... many wish they were... very few actually were..

Stupid stoner.

The military is meant to break down the individual psyche and re-build the person into what he is needed to be. Call it what you want. That's how it is. Period. If any sign of weakness is shown you are shown the door. You think it matters how long you have been in the military? Why do you think so many soldiers are afraid to step forward for the help they need? After that it just becomes a way of life. Domestic abuse, suicide, murder, drug use... this is the outcome. There is a dark underbelly to any military. It should be exposed for what it is. Don't get caught up in semantics. Potato, tomato.

Why?

I feel so sorry for my dad but then I get so angry because he seems so whacked at times. My family and friends keep trying to tell me that I don't know what it's like to live his life. Yes, I do. He created me. I lived with him and saw his actions, PTSD, night terrors, paranoia, and also the fantastic fun times when he wasn't having a flash back. He's amazing but scary too. I miss him. We haven't spoken in a year because he thought I was out to ruin him and what he has worked for. He didn't call me for my birthday and i just want to know if he is ok.

Anyone out there know what it's like to be a navy seal or a child of a navy seal who became damaged after war? Any responses will be appreciated.

As a child (yes I know your an adult now) of someone with a mental issue you are allowed to be angry.

Dont ever feel guilty about feeling angry if you can stop yourself.

You have to FEEL the anger and allow yourself to work through it.

Dont try to intellectualize the feelings too much.

Its one thing to understand that he was merely a damaged human being and that is intelligent thinking, Its another thing to keep yourself from feeling the repercussions of his interactions with you and the damage he caused to your self image.

If to keep yourself safe you need to NEVER see him again then that is what you have to do.

You can still love what you love about him and be allowed to keep yourself safe.

You are doing the right thing.

These relationships are very hard to navigate and it often feels so very unfair to have to deal with them when others dont have to.

Youve been dealt a tuff hand in this respect and MANY in your life will never understand what you have to bare.

Its soooo beyond what most people have to deal with in a parent child relationship.

Remember that there are others too and it is navigatable.

It in a way makes you a far deeper person.

My Father in law was a near perfect human being and I was honored to have him in my life for decades.

He showed me what a normal parent child relationship looks like.

My own father was a troubled man who used his children to take out his own frustrations in life.

I was able to get to know him on an adult level before he passed and he was actually a very nice guy.

I loved him.

My step fathers exsistance in my life provided me with a window into what a GREAT father looks like.

I loved him too.

None of us are perfect and we are all flawed.

Sometimes our flaws or our loved ones flaws make it unsafe to be arround each other.

Its not your fault and keep yourself safe.

Somewhere deep in his confusion he loves you just as much as you love him.

Let yourself feel what you need to feel to work through it.

It will make it easier in the end.

Good travels my fellow traveler.

Last edited:
It is MORE than clear YOU don't have a, as you put it, FUCKING clue.

I thought you were not to post again. That's what your buddy said.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/168584-would-you-take-a-life-25.html#post3685537
Post #242

What are you the gestapo? Quit being a message board Nazi. I don't even know what she said and she's MY friend. Are you really keeping tabs on us? Lame. I don't know why I/we are such a concern to you.

Besides that, everything has been handled. Not that it's any of your business. But thanks. Please don't derail the thread.

Are you the gestapo? I'll post where I want, when I want, derail or not. This place is known for derailments. Don't like it? Tough.
No, I'm not keeping tabs on you. But for two new people who started off the way you did (you mostly), and me being a member here that posts often, of course I remember what was said in other threads.
I don't give a shit if she is your friend or not. That was not the point. I asked a question. You answered it has been taken care of. Good nuff for me.
Now go "lame" yourself without vaseline.

I apologize for saying, "brainwashed". He became scary to me at times... Especially when he started drinking and having flashbacks.

One 4th of July he had to go to the basement and wear earplugs because the fireworks that were blasting made him nervous. I was ten at the time and I remember following him down there and asked if he was ok. I could clearly see he wasn't. He replied in a scared voice and said, "please let me be. I'll be upstairs soon.". I never understood that moment until years later as to why he seemed so frightened.

I would like to also say I am not saying all military are like this. I am only speaking from MY experience with MY father. There are amazing people who are in the military and have never acted the way dad did/does.

Nobody has ever acted like your dad did/does, yet you said you were speaking from your own experience.
Your dad witnessed horrors. It is a shame he didn't get the help he needed, and you were part of the fallout of what he experienced, which is a shame as well. But I agree with CG. You are being disloyal to him by even talking about it in public.

Nobody has ever acted like your dad did/does, yet you said you were speaking from your own experience.
Your dad witnessed horrors. It is a shame he didn't get the help he needed, and you were part of the fallout of what he experienced, which is a shame as well. But I agree with CG. You are being disloyal to him by even talking about it in public.

You're right. It has something I have done(talk about him openly/ bashing) since I was little. I didn't know if I did it to escape or just because I was mad. I'm not supposed to do this. This was supposed to make me feel good hating hiM and asking if anyone has ever experienced this but it didn't. I have no clue what will make me or anyone feel better about this situation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back