Navy names new ship after civil rights leader....and the irony is....

At least they did not name a barge after him.

"Tote that barge, lift that bail"

Still, supply ships can be sunk too, indeed that is often who the subs are looking for.

Personally I think the Navy should only name ships after people who achieved great things in or for the Navy, there are plenty of places that would be more appropriate for the courageous Mr. Evers to have his name in honor.

That used to be the rule, the Navy naming ships after sailors and marines as well as the founders and famous battles.

Evers was an Army veteran, so at least there is some military conection.

....that the ship's role is to stay in the back and carry around supplies for other ships.

DefenseLink News Release: Navy Names Ship After Civil Rights Activist Medgar Evers

rofl3.gif
This is the best back-handed compliment ever!

Can you imagine the uproar in a few years when the Navy announces their newest aircraft carrier the USS Obama :eek: :lol:

Im a republican, and that wouldnt upset me. Hes a popular president and many people like him, therefore he probably deserves to be honored, if they chose to do so.

At least they did not name a barge after him.

"Tote that barge, lift that bail"

Still, supply ships can be sunk too, indeed that is often who the subs are looking for.

Personally I think the Navy should only name ships after people who achieved great things in or for the Navy, there are plenty of places that would be more appropriate for the courageous Mr. Evers to have his name in honor.

Without supply ships the modern Navies of the world couldn't function....and yes...supply ships are the #1 target in ANY battle for sea supremacy....even more than aircraft carriers.

Forum List

Back