Navy F-35C Landed So Precisely, It Tore Up a Runway

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
F-35C.jpg

All those billions and they may finally have an operational aircraft. To do what?

Story @ Navy F-35C Landed So Precisely, It Tore Up a Runway

F-35C.jpg

All those billions and they may finally have an operational aircraft. To do what?

And what do you think they do? Just sit on the carrier during the dustups? Yah, that's it. Let the F-18s die first. (smart ass mode off)

The work done on the X-47B is paying big dividends. It does the same thing but it's not nearly as large so it doesn't tear things up hitting the same sweet spot every time.

To do what?
Destroy things, kill people, look around, and electronically mess with stuff. I can't believe you're retired military and don't know what a multirole fighter does.

I damn well know what multi-tasking aircraft are SUPPOSED to do! That's the problem with this turkey. They still haven't fully solved the helmet and oxygen problems. The F-22 was a whole lot cheaper and also does a good job.

To do what?
Destroy things, kill people, look around, and electronically mess with stuff. I can't believe you're retired military and don't know what a multirole fighter does.

I damn well know what multi-tasking aircraft are SUPPOSED to do! That's the problem with this turkey. They still haven't fully solved the helmet and oxygen problems. The F-22 was a whole lot cheaper and also does a good job.

You just used an F-22 problem to ding the F-35A/C. And the F-18 has a similiar problem. The F-22 cured the problem by changing out a valve and adding a canned backup system. The Altitudes that are the problem are rarely operated at. Operating above 50K is a whole different world and has more in common with Space Flight than military or civilian flights.

Almost all of the high altitude birds, the aircrews are either in a pressurized cockpit or they are wearing appollo style pressurized suits. Without this, liquids start to boil including fuel and blood. A Pilot may visit 60K but he won't stay there. He may zip up but he zips right down again.

AS for cost and numbers, the F-22 in full production would still cost about 144 million per copy. The initial cost of the handful that were produced at first was over 240 mil per copy but in the end, it stabalized at 143 mil per copy. The F-35A, before mass production, is about 110 mil per copy but after it goes into production, the cost will be about 85 mil. It's at about 95 mil right now before mass production. This includes the engine.

Is the F-35A Stealthy? It's so stealthy that they have to turn on their transponders so the ground forces can find them in war games. Anytime they want to go off grid, they just shut their transponders down and virtually disappear from all sensors and radar. While the F-35 is still a week or two from front line service, the affect of stealth has already been shown by the F-22. If the Russian or Syrian fighter/bombers get too close to our special forces, the Russian/Syrian knows that they are being locked on and a simple phrase is spoken on a channel that all military flights can here, "I think you should leave". The handful of times, the Russian/Syrian promptly vacated the area. ROE says that if they drop one single bomb in that area, they are fair game for all US Forces including Fighters and will be fired on and killed.

Once the F-35A gets into full production (there will be thousands made) the cost will be about 85 mil. Now, tell me one single bird that costs 85 mil or less that could handle the F-35. Even the F-15 is still above 100 mil a copy these days and the F-35 can handle the F-15 with ease. All you are aware of is when you see incoming missiles within a short distance. You are too busy dodging missiles to try and find anything except sky.

To do what?

You just used an F-22 problem to ding the F-35A/C. And the F-18 has a similiar problem. The F-22 cured the problem by changing out a valve and adding a canned backup system. The Altitudes that are the problem are rarely operated at. Operating above 50K is a whole different world and has more in common with Space Flight than military or civilian flights.

Almost all of the high altitude birds, the aircrews are either in a pressurized cockpit or they are wearing appollo style pressurized suits. Without this, liquids start to boil including fuel and blood. A Pilot may visit 60K but he won't stay there. He may zip up but he zips right down again.

AS for cost and numbers, the F-22 in full production would still cost about 144 million per copy. The initial cost of the handful that were produced at first was over 240 mil per copy but in the end, it stabalized at 143 mil per copy. The F-35A, before mass production, is about 110 mil per copy but after it goes into production, the cost will be about 85 mil. It's at about 95 mil right now before mass production. This includes the engine.

Is the F-35A Stealthy? It's so stealthy that they have to turn on their transponders so the ground forces can find them in war games. Anytime they want to go off grid, they just shut their transponders down and virtually disappear from all sensors and radar. While the F-35 is still a week or two from front line service, the affect of stealth has already been shown by the F-22. If the Russian or Syrian fighter/bombers get too close to our special forces, the Russian/Syrian knows that they are being locked on and a simple phrase is spoken on a channel that all military flights can here, "I think you should leave". The handful of times, the Russian/Syrian promptly vacated the area. ROE says that if they drop one single bomb in that area, they are fair game for all US Forces including Fighters and will be fired on and killed.

Once the F-35A gets into full production (there will be thousands made) the cost will be about 85 mil. Now, tell me one single bird that costs 85 mil or less that could handle the F-35. Even the F-15 is still above 100 mil a copy these days and the F-35 can handle the F-15 with ease. All you are aware of is when you see incoming missiles within a short distance. You are too busy dodging missiles to try and find anything except sky.

Thanks for the response.

F-35C.jpg

I have a question on the article...they stated that the #3 wire was the optimum spot......isn't it the #2 wire?

No. If you look at the way the wires are laid out on the back, you'd see that the number 1 and number 2 wires are close to the rear end of the boat. If you catch a number 1 or 2 wire, that means you weren't lined up right and could have hit the back of the ship. Number 3 is optimal, because not only did you come in on the proper glide path, but you also had another wire to catch if you missed 3.

If you catch number 4, that means you were too high and almost boltered.

Boltered is when you miss all 4, and have to hit afterburner to make it back in the air to come back for another pass.

Do they have cable landing arrestors on land runways?
On NAS and MCAS's yes they do....for emergencies.....not for practice carrier landings (too much of a hassle to reset).

Any Air Force who can speak for AF Air Fields?

Uuuuuuhhh....the photo shows them using a cable on the ground.
Unless they're cultivating trees on carriers these days...

One saving grace for Gen 4 (F-15) is that it isn't stealthy. If you use if for an interceptor you don't want to be hidden. You want to show up with the meanest looking bird just blistering with weapons hanging on it's wing. If you get that close with your Gen 5 birds, you defeated the true purpose of the bird. But a F-15 with 12 AA Missiles tells you to leave, you had damn well better leave. You also know that the missile truck is backed up by the Gen 5s that you can't see but know they are around somewhere.

Unless things have changed, NAS Patuxent River is where the Navy tests new arresting gear systems and aircraft arresting gear testing. They do that at a land base instead of having to use a carrier for that. Once an aircraft has passed land based testing, it will be tested later on carriers as it works it's way up to full operational certification.

>>>>

Unless things have changed, NAS Patuxent River is where the Navy tests new arresting gear systems and aircraft arresting gear testing. They do that at a land base instead of having to use a carrier for that. Once an aircraft has passed land based testing, it will be tested later on carriers as it works it's way up to full operational certification.

>>>>

Actually, in the late 80's and early 90's (before it was closed down) Cecil Field FL (located in Jacksonville), had arresting cables that the pilots in training would use to get used to carrier landings.

I was stationed there with VFA-131 Wildcats from 1989 until 1993.

They're flight testing the F-35s here for the last couple of weeks. Can't see the northern end of the runway so I don't know if they're practicing carrier landings with cables on the runway on that end or not. It is a good plane, and bugs will be worked out, they nearly always are. These planes, and the F-22, are 'expensive' because they include a lot of projects and research on new tech hidden in their budgets, so the price per copy isn't a big concern of mine at this point. Manned aircraft is on its way out, anyway, and a looming pilot shortage will accelerate that trend soon; modern aircraft can't be flown at their full abilities with pilots on board anyway, like the F-16. Providing for manned fighters and aircraft is a huge expense that will go away soon, and doing away with them will drop the costs over a third and increase the payload capacity as well.

They're flight testing the F-35s here for the last couple of weeks. Can't see the northern end of the runway so I don't know if they're practicing carrier landings with cables on the runway on that end or not. It is a good plane, and bugs will be worked out, they nearly always are. These planes, and the F-22, are 'expensive' because they include a lot of projects and research on new tech hidden in their budgets, so the price per copy isn't a big concern of mine at this point. Manned aircraft is on its way out, anyway, and a looming pilot shortage will accelerate that trend soon; modern aircraft can't be flown at their full abilities with pilots on board anyway, like the F-16. Providing for manned fighters and aircraft is a huge expense that will go away soon, and doing away with them will drop the costs over a third and increase the payload capacity as well.

You know the reason that there is a pilot shortage that is only going to get bigger?

Capitalism.

The airlines are looking for pilots and they are offering our military pilots a lot of money to get out and work for them. Matter of fact, that is why they are considering giving pilots significant reenlistment bonuses.

But you're right, UAV's are the way of the future.

There are a lot of rumors and hints among the various military-related websites that serious consideration is being given to allow highly skilled enlisted personnel fly drones.

Forum List

Back