Navy F 18 Crash: Jet Slams Into Apartments In Virginia Beach, Virginia

They really should have filled the tanks before they took off.
See what reducing the military budget will get you!

yep, Cecil was the perfect air base. Woods for miles in all directions. They've been complaining about NAS Oceana in Va Bch for years, but without NAS, there won't be much left of Va Beach.

How about Mayport; I lived in Mayport housing, before that NEAR Cecil Field. I was mixed up. Is Mayport still open? I went to JAX NAS after my father retired, for my mother's medical care, Cecil Field for the Commissary & Exchange, I think.

yes, Mayport is home to a few ships of the Atlantic Fleet. And like you remember, the Naval Hospital is at NAS Jacksonville.

Good hospital, great treatment from what I remember. One Navy doctor did a LOT for my mother, I've yet to see one as dedicated as he.

How crappy is thetaliban compared to Nazi Germany and Imperieal Japan

very crappy6

No casualties? Nobody seriously hurt?

Ok, good.

BTW an Air Force pilot would never allow something like this to happen.

:D

Bullshit.............Navy pilots can fly circles around the Air Force.

Top Gun for you guys is you get to spend 2 years flying with the Navy. I know, we had an Air Force Captain named Smiley with us at VFA-131.

No doubt they spend two years there to teach them all their sweet moves before returning home.

:lol:

U.S. Navy Jet Crash: Residents To Receive Compensation For Apartments Destroyed In F/A-18D Hornet Accident

r-US-NAVY-JET-CRASH-large570.jpg

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Navy officials say they will begin providing compensation right away to those affected by Friday's military jet crash into a Virginia Beach apartment complex.

The Navy said Sunday in a news release that officials met on Saturday with affected residents and would begin making funds available Monday to those who completed claims.

Initial payments will begin at $2,300 for an individual resident, with more going to residents with families.

Navy representatives will have an information center at the apartment site from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. this week. Residents won't be permitted onto the site until the cleanup is complete, but should talk with on-site fire officials about valuables.

Dozens of apartment units were destroyed when the F/A-18D Hornet careened into the Mayfair Mews apartment complex, but no one died.

U.S. Navy Jet Crash: Residents To Receive Compensation For Apartments Destroyed In F/A-18D Hornet Accident

I'm glad the two pilots got out and I'm glad that the Civilians on the ground weren't hurt as well. Damn good job on those pilots part.

When you have a military, things like this will happen unfortunately. It's the professionalism of these pilots that mitigated the human toll...

Navy vs Air Force pilots?? I've seen Air Force pilots thread an A-10 about 10 feet off the ground down a country road at about 200 miles an hour with hedge rows on both sides. And I've seen some incredible things from Navy pilots as well. Hitting the lurching deck of a carrier at 160 MPH is a controlled crash.... Asking which one is better is like asking which one of Seal Team 6 is the hero???

I'm glad the two pilots got out and I'm glad that the Civilians on the ground weren't hurt as well. Damn good job on those pilots part.

When you have a military, things like this will happen unfortunately. It's the professionalism of these pilots that mitigated the human toll...

Navy vs Air Force pilots?? I've seen Air Force pilots thread an A-10 about 10 feet off the ground down a country road at about 200 miles an hour with hedge rows on both sides. And I've seen some incredible things from Navy pilots as well. Hitting the lurching deck of a carrier at 160 MPH is a controlled crash.... Asking which one is better is like asking which one of Seal Team 6 is the hero???

Well I think what Article 15 and ABikerSailor were doing with the whole Navy v.s Air Force pilot thing is a little bit of the service rivalry thing for fun, I support both Navy and Air Force pilots.

Good thing people in Hampton Roads have jobs and they were at work at the time of the crash. No fatalities or serious injuries is remarkable. A miracle as described by some.

A Coast Guardsman, home at the time, as well as other residents, provided first aid to the aviators and knocked on doors getting people out of burning buildings. Kudos, Bravo Zulu, and thank God for hero neighbors running toward the chaos and helping their fellow man.

Navy Jet Crash 911 Tapes: Audio Of Calls Released

s-NAVY-JET-CRASH-large.jpg

An F/A-18D U.S. Navy jet slammed into an apartment complex on Friday, April 6, 2012, in Virginia Beach, Virginia, sending flames shooting into the air and smoke billowing from the crash site. On Tuesday, panicked calls placed to 911 immediately after the crash were released.

"You see a ton, a ton of smoke -- just black, black smoke just billowing and billowing out," one distraught caller reported.

Another clip records the conversation between a 911 operator and a caller after one of the pilots landed on a resident's porch.

"The pilot is on your patio?" the first responder asks over the phone. "Yes, and nobody's here!" the woman responds.

Remarkably, no one was killed in the crash, however dozens of people were displaced from their homes.

On Monday, the Navy began compensating residents of the apartment complex. According to the LA Times, payments start at $2,300 per person to "help pay for housing, meals and clothing."

The jet's flight incident recorder -- similar to a 'black box' -- reportedly has been recovered. WAVY.com reports that it has been sent to Maryland for analysis.

You can listen to more 911 calls in the video above, or watch footage of the crash below.

Navy Jet Crash 911 Tapes: Audio Of Calls Released

Inexpertly, part of the plane is still recognizable; and the region sustaining damage on the ground is circular, resembling a single explosion, without a corridor of damage spread out through a long distance. Does that imply, that the pilots stalled the plane out, and "dropped it", at low speed, to minimize the damage ?

MY Dad, a 29 year Air Force Fighter and Instructor pilot, had some advice for me when I was learning how to fly. He told me to never....Never follow railroad tracks from town to town. I said that seems like it might be useful while flying by visual flight rules. He responded with NO! You might end up hitting a Navy pilot head on.:badgrin:

He also told me that it's easy to tell the pilots from the mechanics in a rest room....... the mechanics are the ones that wash their hands BEFORE they take a piss. :eek:

Inexpertly, part of the plane is still recognizable; and the region sustaining damage on the ground is circular, resembling a single explosion, without a corridor of damage spread out through a long distance. Does that imply, that the pilots stalled the plane out, and "dropped it", at low speed, to minimize the damage ?

Actually, the investigation has been completed and released by the military. It seems that both engines flamed out shortly after takeoff, and the pilots stayed with it as long as they could before ejecting, trying to restart the engines. Interestingly enough, they both flamed out at the same time.

The result of the board is the pilots did all they could, and nobody was at fault.

Forum List

Back