High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
What the fuck?

Navy F 18 Crash: Jet Slams Into Apartments In Virginia Beach, Virginia

o-VIRGINIA-CRASH-570.jpg

o-VIRGINIA-CRASH-570.jpg

A U.S. Navy jet crashed into an apartment complex in Virginia Beach, Virginia, on Friday afternoon. CNN reports that the plane -- an F/A-18D assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 106 -- slammed into the Mayfair Mews Apartment complex, setting several apartments on fire.

The US Navy reported that both pilots ejected from the plane, but are being transported to the local hospital for observation. According to the AP, there are no immediate reports of injuries. However, CNN quoted a hospital spokesperson who claimed that at least 2 were hurt.

What the fuck?

o-VIRGINIA-CRASH-570.jpg

o-VIRGINIA-CRASH-570.jpg

A U.S. Navy jet crashed into an apartment complex in Virginia Beach, Virginia, on Friday afternoon. CNN reports that the plane -- an F/A-18D assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 106 -- slammed into the Mayfair Mews Apartment complex, setting several apartments on fire.

The US Navy reported that both pilots ejected from the plane, but are being transported to the local hospital for observation. According to the AP, there are no immediate reports of injuries. However, CNN quoted a hospital spokesperson who claimed that at least 2 were hurt.

I lived near there as a child.

What the fuck?

o-VIRGINIA-CRASH-570.jpg

o-VIRGINIA-CRASH-570.jpg

Holy shit!

I lived in Richmond Virginia for 2 years after I separated from the Military, I been to Virginia beach a few times, its a good area I hope everyone is alright.

VFA-106, the Gladiators, were homeported at NAS Cecil Field, FL when I was there in the mid 90s. Brac closed Cecil and the squadron moved to Oceana. I lived two miles from NAS Oceana as well and loved the sound of freedom. Hopefully no fatalities come from this.

No casualties? Nobody seriously hurt?

Ok, good.

BTW an Air Force pilot would never allow something like this to happen.

:D

VFA-106, the Gladiators, were homeported at NAS Cecil Field, FL when I was there in the mid 90s. Brac closed Cecil and the squadron moved to Oceana. I lived two miles from NAS Oceana as well and loved the sound of freedom. Hopefully no fatalities come from this.

I was with VFA-131 Wildcats until Feb '93, just before they closed Cecil, and I thought it was a bad idea as there was a clear flight path to get out to the bombing range and down to Key West.

Oceana already had scores of other squadrons up there when they packed in more, and some of the pilots were concerned that if they had a malfunction on takeoff or approach, they could possibly end up having a situation like this.

Fortunately, according to all the news reports, people only sustained non life threatening injuries and nobody died.

Ok, good.

Bullshit.............Navy pilots can fly circles around the Air Force.

Top Gun for you guys is you get to spend 2 years flying with the Navy. I know, we had an Air Force Captain named Smiley with us at VFA-131.

Ok, good.

Bullshit.............Navy pilots can fly circles around the Air Force.

Top Gun for you guys is you get to spend 2 years flying with the Navy. I know, we had an Air Force Captain named Smiley with us at VFA-131.

No doubt they spend two years there to teach them all their sweet moves before returning home.

I lived in the housing for Cecil Field when I was a kid, right after moving from Norfolk, Va. I was sad when I heard Cecil Field was closing. The jetties were incredible.

I was with VFA-131 Wildcats until Feb '93, just before they closed Cecil, and I thought it was a bad idea as there was a clear flight path to get out to the bombing range and down to Key West.

Oceana already had scores of other squadrons up there when they packed in more, and some of the pilots were concerned that if they had a malfunction on takeoff or approach, they could possibly end up having a situation like this.

Fortunately, according to all the news reports, people only sustained non life threatening injuries and nobody died.

yep, Cecil was the perfect air base. Woods for miles in all directions. They've been complaining about NAS Oceana in Va Bch for years, but without NAS, there won't be much left of Va Beach.

I lived in the housing for Cecil Field when I was a kid, right after moving from Norfolk, Va. I was sad when I heard Cecil Field was closing. The jetties were incredible.

I lived in Yellow Water housing while stationed at the clinic. I believe NAS Jax kept that and the housing on base was turned into a senior housing development.

yep, Cecil was the perfect air base. Woods for miles in all directions. They've been complaining about NAS Oceana in Va Bch for years, but without NAS, there won't be much left of Va Beach.

How about Mayport; I lived in Mayport housing, before that NEAR Cecil Field. I was mixed up. Is Mayport still open? I went to JAX NAS after my father retired, for my mother's medical care, Cecil Field for the Commissary & Exchange, I think.

I lived in Yellow Water housing while stationed at the clinic. I believe NAS Jax kept that and the housing on base was turned into a senior housing development.

Thanks.

How about Mayport; I lived in Mayport housing, before that NEAR Cecil Field. I was mixed up. Is Mayport still open? I went to JAX NAS after my father retired, for my mother's medical care, Cecil Field for the Commissary & Exchange, I think.

yes, Mayport is home to a few ships of the Atlantic Fleet. And like you remember, the Naval Hospital is at NAS Jacksonville.

yes, Mayport is home to a few ships of the Atlantic Fleet. And like you remember, the Naval Hospital is at NAS Jacksonville.

Mayport still open, thanks. I think Atlantic Beach & Neptune Beach would suffer big time if Mayport is closed.

Forum List

Back