Natural period for recession of glaciers

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Toronado3800, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Its been about 12,000 years since the end of the last ice age. During that ice age ice extended all the way down to Wisconsin. Now obviously its limited to further north regions. (Odd the southern hemisphere seems less affected. Moderating effects of their higher percentage of ocean?)

So apparently ice has been retreating for at least 12,000 years. We can argue the finer points of how far and from where to where but between 1,000 and 2,000 miles seems certain. I'll use 1,500 miles for my math. That's maybe .125 mile per year on average. To mess up the ease of using math to determine what's "normal" ice should probably retreat slower from areas near the poles and quicker from Wisconsin.

None the less (and even if anti-man made global warming folks don't point out that ice has been retreating for some time), I think it may be natural for ice to be retreating.

Does anyone have evidence of something like "where the ice has historically stopped retreating between ice ages"

Last Ice Age
    [​IMG]

Current
    [​IMG]

PS, don't think this means we need to be lazy and just keep dumping CO2 in the atmosphere. My opinion on that is we don't need to be liberal with our stewardship of the earth and find the environmental tipping point of no return.

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    By the controlling factor of the Ice Ages, the Milankovic Cycles, we should be starting the slow descent into another ice age. In other words, our glaciers should be growing right now. As they were in the little ice age.

But we are not growing our glaciers, they are in rapid retreat. In fact, the curve for the decline in the North Polar Ice looks far more like a catastrophe curve than the line predicted by the "alarmists" of the IPCC.

Here is where you can read about the latest studies on this matter;

The Copenhagen Diagnosis

3. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Interesting and thanks for the link.

Still though, how little ice at the poles have we ever had before between cycles?

4. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I still haven't found this. Darn it. I like having a point of comparison. Something like "well for a 200,000 mile car them ball joints are pretty darn tight" or "for xxx years after the end of an ice age the ice caps usually do retreat up to this point"

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,888
    Glaciers act as protective caps...
    :cool:
    Alpine glaciers 'protect mountain peaks from erosion'
    2 August 2013 > Instead of wearing mountains down, evidence from Europe's high Alps shows that glaciers shield summits from erosion, acting as a protective lid.