Natural Fertilizers

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
We try to use compost but its a lot of work for two old people like us.

So we read about using leaves and coffee grounds or really just leaves. Like nature does in the forest. I use leaf rake to get them up. Lay a large piece of plastic on the ground and rake the leaves onto it then drag it or haul it to the garden composter or just use like mulch.

Anyone else use fallen leaves?

Most nature fertilizer I have seen recently are some of the posts I have read in politics.

However, I live in a forest so when fall comes I am out there making piles and letting nature break it down, come springtime I use that as a layer.

Our pond use to supply alot of great fertilizer but we gave all the fish away a few months ago. Too hot here to keep it clear.

We compost all non-animal kitchen scraps and leaves. When we had chickens I'd occasionally rake up their droppings and judiciously add those, as well. They're very nitrogen rich and go a long way.

We have chickens too and sometimes use their droppings in raised beds.

Lately we've been into hydroponics and containers mostly inside greenhouse. It took 3 years to set it up but it is worth it far as less work and more produce.

So we read about using leaves and coffee grounds or really just leaves. Like nature does in the forest. I use leaf rake to get them up. Lay a large piece of plastic on the ground and rake the leaves onto it then drag it or haul it to the garden composter or just use like mulch.

I do. Some I pile up for composting with kitchen scraps over the following year, but most I just pile into the garden and till under.

I do. Some I pile up for composting with kitchen scraps over the following year, but most I just pile into the garden and till under.
That works unless the fresh scraps attract pests to your garden. One of the advantages of separate composting is that the pests it attracts help with the decomposition without eating your crops, too.

That works unless the fresh scraps attract pests to your garden. One of the advantages of separate composting is that the pests it attracts help with the decomposition without eating your crops, too.

I only put vegetable scraps and egg shells/coffee grounds. Not much is attracted to lettuce, onions, rotten tomatoes, etc. Never put meat on dairy in it.

I use leaves direct on the garden in between the rows of plants. The next year I use those in between rows for planting. Even better, add grass clippings to the leaves- less blowing and drifting. (It's windy where I garden). I also add unfinished compost from the compost pile at the end of the season.

I use leaves direct on the garden in between the rows of plants. The next year I use those in between rows for planting. Even better, add grass clippings to the leaves- less blowing and drifting. (It's windy where I garden). I also add unfinished compost from the compost pile at the end of the season.
We have some old bales of hay that aren't being used for anything. A friend asked for some to use as mulch. She's very happy with the results and comes back for more.

We have some old bales of hay that aren't being used for anything. A friend asked for some to use as mulch. She's very happy with the results and comes back for more.
I believe it! Sometimes I used straw for bedding in my duck house. It makes darn good mulch after the ducks have fertilized in it...

Forum List

Back