NATO: This is an Alliance?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by onedomino, Sep 29, 2006.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    So far, regarding NATO, only the Americans, British, Canadians, and Dutch, have had the courage to send troops into southern Afghanistan to kill Taliban terrorists (Australians have also been there but, of course, they are not part of NATO).

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    "It is very difficult for a commander ... when he is not able to move forces around and to have them go where they're needed, when they're needed, to do the things that needed to be done," Rumsfeld said.

I got news for ya...when the above is the case, then the individual in question is NOT in command! No wonder it seems difficult!

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I know that Poland and Albania have sent troops and are sending more. I'm not sure though that they have the training for southern Afghanistan, but if they are deployed elsewhere, it frees up those that have the stronger troops, no?

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I suppose.

My feelings though, based on my time in NATO. Combat troops are COMBAT troops, no?

I'm sure all the pencil pusher positions are filled.

NATO hasn't been an effective deterrent for years, except of course for the above mentioned members.

Ain't it great being the worlds only Superpower?:rolleyes:

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I agree. It would be like playing offense in football and as you come to the line of scrimmage, 8 or 9 of your players run to the sidelines to wait until the play is over. How many billions does the US spend on NATO? What a bargain. NATO is supposed to be a military alliance! Instead it is a political sham. With the Japanese deployment of troops to Iraq and the ascent of new Prime Minister Abe, it looks like Japan has recovered psychologically from WW2 before the Germans. Say what you want about the evil in Germany during the 20th century, but the Vermacht never ran from a fight (until now).

6. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Europe is quite willing to let the U.S. wage the battle against radical Islam--as long as we don't expect anything from them in return and as long as they have the right to rip us up the back. You interfere with either of those two things and their yellow spines get a little riled, but not enough to get themselves hurt. :tng: