NATO leaders to train Iraqi forces

N

NewGuy

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39128

Coordinated attacks kill 100, wound 320
Police appeared overwhelmed 1 week before power transfer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 24, 2004
2:14 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Insurgents targeted Iraqi police and government buildings in coordinated attacks that killed more than 100 people, including three Americans, and wounded about 320.

The attacks appeared to overwhelm Iraqi police, who will take a greater security role when sovereignty is handed over to an interim goverment next Wednesday.

A string of car bombs in Mosul killed 62 people and injured more than 220, and clashes occurred in Baqouba, Ramadi, Baghdad and other areas.

American troops came to the support of police with aircraft, tanks and helicopters, the Associated Press reported.

In Baquba, 40 miles northwest of Baghdad, black-clad gunmen, including some claiming loyalty to Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, attacked a police station and other government buildings at dawn, according to Reuters.

The news wire said it appeared to be the first time members of Zarqawi's underground network had surfaced in street combat.

Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said he believed Ansar al-Islam, a group linked to al-Qaida, conducted the Mosul bombings.

He blamed Baathists loyal to Saddam Hussein for the attacks in Ramadi and Baquba, where fighters wore yellow headbands bearing the name of a Muslim group "Saraya al-Tawhid and Jihad," or "Battalions of Unification and Holy War," Reuters said.

The terrorists handed out leaflets warning Iraqis not to "collaborate" with Americans.

"The flesh of collaborators is tastier than that of Americans," the leaflets said.

Clashes in a number of cities subsided by noon, said Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmit, deputy director of operations for the U.S. army in Iraq

Prime Minister Allawi has asked NATO leaders to train Iraqi forces. The request likely will be granted at next week's meeting of the alliance in Istanbul, NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer told Reuters.

Originally posted by dilloduck
Does this count as coalition forming or are we too late for that?

Conservatives should be GNASHING their teeth.

Wonder what Job or Lamentations might say about how you feel.

:D

I am a conservative and I am not gnashing my teeth. NATO is a necessary evil. It makes the Europeans happy to have a say in things and produces good relations between everyone. NATO does not have any ME involvement and Europe does need to step up to the plate and do some good. Especially in light of the fact that terrorists are using the Balkins to do their drug running, weapons smuggling, people smuggling ect.

NATO is the only military that works for Europe on a united front. As much as they all hate each other in Europe and cant agree on anything between countries this is as good as it gets. And if the terrorists take control of Eastern Europe it will be only a matter of time before they take over Western Europe. America would be hard pressed to take care of that along with everything else.
NATO has a symbiotic relation with much of the whole world. We all depend on each other economically and are only set up that way and nothing else.

NATO is as toothless as the UNSC. France & Germany saw to that.

No, if there is an international body to enforce the consensus of nations, something new has to be crafted.

After what happened recently with Iraq, any existing international body with those two countries in it with veto power is deemed useless.

And the LAST thing that should happen is to allow France, Germany or Russia to partake of the rebuilding of Iraq. I don't care if it's with the International Smurf Lover Guild.

They said 'No at all costs!', and that's that.

We'll foot the bill, as usual. This time, the world will know who stepped up to the plate.

What is being missed here is that the majority of all international groups are the EU.

That kind of makes any presumption that an international body is useless rather a blind assumption overlooking the threat of the EU.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I can't wait for the liberals to come out and say that we have no more international support in Iraq. :rolleyes:

LOL I've been waiting for that too! But they got that covered: either it's the 'wrong kind of international allies' or 'the US browbeat them into support'. Either way, It's all our fault.:tinfoil:

Forum List

Back