Native English Speakers

If we are looking at English as an official international language then the approach is flawed. English is not a very scientific language. For starters, it lacks consistency when it comes to describing sound. It heavily relies on context which leads to ambiguity. It will be tragic for humanity if English emerges as an official international language. However, it is at the moment a very practical and useful language skill to possess.

English is the worst language. The spelling is arbitrary and chosen by 18th century Anglican nerds who worshipped the Norman French aristocracy and so they wanted to retain the root spellings so that one could see which words came from the crude Germanic English vrs which came from the sophisticated French of the Norman ancestry.

Every other language based their spelling on the phonetic sound of the spoken word.

So we get to have words like trough, dough, tough, thought, fought, cough, and though.

Retards.
The basic problem with written English is the alphabet. The Latin alphabet was not designed for English and does not have letters for some of the most common sounds, "sh" for example and cab be expressed in a great variety of ways.

Other languages like Polish and Hungarian have the same problem. The Czechs, Slovaks and others adopted a system of hooks above the letters to deal with the problem.

Yeah, most languages improvised in weird ways.

In English we could reserve K for hard k sounds and use C for sh sounds and save bites, lol. But there is a hard and soft variant for all consonant sounds so it doesn't really solve the whole problem. We could use upper case for hard vowel sounds and lower case for soft sounds, but there too we screw with the grammatical interpretation, or instead of changing case, we could use a mark like the tilde to represent the hard variation, but then we are not saving characters.

Allegedly from Mark Twain:

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter c would be dropped to be replased either by k or s, and likewise x would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which c would be retained would be the ch formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform w spelling, so that which and one would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish y replasing it with i and Iear 4 might fiks the g/j anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez c, yand x — bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez — tu riplais ch,sh, and th rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

It was mandatory when I was in school. But a lot of kids these days can barely speak or write English. Academic standards have clearly slipped, they should focus on English and let a second language be optional. With modern technology translations are going to get even easier. It would be good to at least articulate yourself well in one language.

lol, who gives a shit?

Skipped your meds, chickenshit?

Lol, now you're an internet doctor?

Internet warrior, internet lawyer, internet expert on guns...

Never once claimed to be any of those things, of course. It's pretty obvious you ain't right in the head, boy.

liar

Show me where I ever claimed to be any of those things, chickenshit.

It was mandatory when I was in school. But a lot of kids these days can barely speak or write English. Academic standards have clearly slipped, they should focus on English and let a second language be optional. With modern technology translations are going to get even easier. It would be good to at least articulate yourself well in one language.

Perish the thought ... somebody's self-esteem might temporarily suffer, the most horriblest crime evar.

That nonsense post didn't even respond to the quote.

It did when you cease believing the lie that English is the native language spoken in North America. It isn't. It's the language spoken by the invaders who conquered North America.

There is no 'native language' to North America then as EVERYONE immigrated here including Amerindians and EVERYONE that is still here is here after conquering previous populations that lived here before them.

If you libtards could only think it would really be helpful.

That nonsense post didn't even respond to the quote.

It did when you cease believing the lie that English is the native language spoken in North America. It isn't. It's the language spoken by the invaders who conquered North America.

The discussion was about The United States of America. Your little attempt at dramatics fell flat - again.

Being able to address someone in their own language shows both respect for the person, and their culture.

So people who don't speak English have no respect for England or America or our cultures? I see something of a point here, but I don't buy it entirely. Just because I don't speak any Mayan dialects doesn't mean I don't respect the ancient Mayans, it just means I have other priorities for my time.

Forum List

Back