Nation’s oldest World War II vet dies in Texas at age 112

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
Extra! Extra!

America's Oldest WWII Veteran, Who Credited His Long Life to Whiskey and Cigars, Dies at 112

America's Oldest WWII Veteran, Who Credited His Long Life to Whiskey and Cigars, Dies at 112

In 2013, President Obama honored Overton at a Veterans Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery after they enjoyed a breakfast together at the White House.

"He was there at Pearl Harbor, when the battleships were still smoldering," Obama said of Overton. "He was there at Okinawa. He was there at Iwo Jima, where he said, 'I only got out of there by the grace of God.'"

Nation's oldest World War II vet dies in Texas at age 112

Mr. Overton enlisted in the Army in 1940, long before hostilities commenced and was 34 years of age at the time of enlistment as well. I wonder what his back story was. A middle aged man deep in the heart of Texas suddenly signs up for the peacetime army?

Mr. Overton enlisted in the Army in 1940, long before hostilities commenced and was 34 years of age at the time of enlistment as well. I wonder what his back story was. A middle aged man deep in the heart of Texas suddenly signs up for the peacetime army?

“Long before...”

Huh????

Is your calendar broken?

“Long before...”

Huh????

Is your calendar broken?

It was more than a year before Pearl Harbor- I'd say that was long before.

How many Trump family members ever signed up?

“Long before...”

Huh????

Is your calendar broken?

WWII started in Europe in 1939, earlier in Asia. Dumbass.

There was this thing called 'The Great Depression' going on, joining the military and eating regularly looked like a pretty good deal at the time, plus it wasn't rocket science to see the U.S. was going to be involved soon, as even idiots didn't think isolationism was viable then any more than it was in any other era, despite all the dissembling and whining from right wingers. Nobody has ever honored American 'Neutrality', and nobody will in the future, either.

Probably more than any of Obama's or yours.

That is interesting

There was this thing called 'The Great Depression' going on, joining the military and eating regularly looked like a pretty good deal at the time, plus it wasn't rocket science to see the U.S. was going to be involved soon, as even idiots didn't think isolationism was viable then any more than it was in any other era, despite all the dissembling and whining from right wingers. Nobody has ever honored American 'Neutrality', and nobody will in the future, either.

Fair enough, I could see that a lot of men might want to join the Army during the Roosevelt Depression. Unemployment stayed in the double digits through 1941.

However, this man was 34, I am sort of surprised that the Army would have taken him. You can be selective when a lot of people are starving.

“Long before...”

Huh????

Is your calendar broken?

However, the war was ongoing in Europe and Asia and anyone with a brain knew it was only a matter of time.

Actually, donnie's grandfather came to the U.S. to dodge the German draft. Since then, you cannot find one family member who has served in the military....at all.

Actually, donnie's grandfather came to the U.S. to dodge the German draft. Since then, you cannot find one family member who has served in the military....at all.

Obama's grandfather was a citizen of the British Empire and never served either. So what's the point?

At least President Trump went to military school

Forum List

Back