Nation’s Most Overweight, Obese States Voted for McCain

PunditP

Rookie
Nov 28, 2008
When it comes to weight and politics, the latest presidential election offers us some food for thought. One particularly interesting fact is that, across the nation, the states that voted for Sen. John McCain in the general election tended to be home to the highest percentage of overweight and obese people when compared to the states that voted for Barack Obama – and not just by a small margin.

In examining the statistics at StateMaster.com, one finds that, of the ten most overweight and obese states, only one – Michigan – voted for Obama. What’s more, the figures on the other end are just as skewed. When it comes to the nation’s ten least overweight and obese states, Utah is the only one that went for McCain. But before one can begin to digest the implications of this statistical morsel, an important point ought to be made.

First, it should be noted that it would absurd to think that being overweight or obese causes people to vote for McCain (or to dislike Obama). Indeed, just because there is a correlation between the weight of a state’s citizens and that state’s presidential preference, it doesn’t mean that either variable influenced the other. However, there is a statistically significant relationship between them – even if, yes, the percentages are close. Consider this, the average rate of overweight and obese citizens in each of the states McCain won was 57.67%, while the average rate in the state’s Obama won was 54.9%. Although this difference of 2.77% might sound minuscule, when you look at how the red and blue states ranked compared to each other, the correlation becomes much more obvious.

For example, if you assign each state an ‘obesity number’ based on it’s ranking in the list below, with West Virginia, the nation’s most overweight and obese state, given a 50… Alabama a 49… down to Massachusetts, the nation’s trimmest state, given a 1 – and then compared the average obesity number given to states that voted for McCain to the average number given to those that voted for Obama, one sees a telling correlation: the average red state scored a 33.6 while the average blue state scored a 19.1. This is substantial considering that if there were no correlation between a state’s rate of overweight and obese citizens and their voting preference, you would expect the average obesity number of both red and blue states to be around 25.

For all you amateur statisticians out there, and for those who are quick to point out the crudeness of the ‘obesity number’ illustration, you may be comforted to know that in terms of the percentages listed below, the differences between the sample means of both the red and blue states, in comparison to the national mean, were both statistically significant (p < .01). This of course means that it is less than 1% likely that the distribution of the red and blue states in the list below is due to chance, assuming that the rate of overweight and obese citizens has nothing to do with voting preferences.

Upon contemplating these facts, however, one might very naturally and rapidly come to wonder, “So what?” At least I did. For me, the obvious question is why did the heavier states tend to vote for McCain, and the trimmer ones for Obama, if not by chance? While the answer to this question clearly requires quite a bit more than correlation statistics, StateMaster can help point us in the right direction. StateMaster does this by allowing us to see what other metrics are correlated with states’ choices for president in 2008.

Although failing to truly “explain” the correlation between weight and states’ presidential voting preferences, these similar correlations for other important metrics help ‘fill out the picture,’ so to speak. For example, look at how the charts for education (percentage of citizens attaining a bachelors degree) and economic prosperity (perhaps best illustrated by home values) compare to the list below. StateMaster’s statistics show that high rates of overweight and obese citizens are also strongly correlated with low levels of educational achievement and below average levels of economic success, as measured by home values. As for exactly why states with these challenges tended to vote for McCain in the 2008 presidential election is still something that can definitely be explored and discussed much further.

Despite only being able to scratch the surface of this issue, I hope to have at least demonstrated how awesome sites like StateMaster.com offer a window into examining important political, social and economic issues simply by compiling and ranking states based on vital statistical metrics.

I haven't made enough posts to link to the list image, but you can find it here: punditpolitics.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/overweight-obese-state-rankings1.jpg

For more on John McCain, try my McCain IQ quiz: punditpolitics.com/political_iq_tests_center.htm

And to think people get paid for this. LOL

Thank God my state didn't vote for McCain, I would have to make an appointment with my doctor. ha

Been playing with StateMaster.com and it looks like a very useful resource

Well, they wanted to vote for Mike Huckabee...

huckabee.jpg

No stats has more fat bastards then NY, and they voted for BO.

Sorry but you fail, the fattest states are Mississippi,West Virginia,Alabama,and Louisiana. Those are the top 4 states in the coveted Obese analysis. All of these states voted for McCain/Palin.. NY is ranked #37 no where near the top. The leanest states are Hawaii and Colorado who of course voted for Obama.

Last edited:
Sorry but you fail, the fattest states are Mississippi,West Virginia,Alabama,and Louisiana. Those are the top 4 states in the coveted Obese analysis. All of these states voted for McCain/Palin.. NY is ranked #37 no where near the top. The leanest states are Hawaii and Colorado who of course voted for Obama.
I actually heard the woosh go over your head.

You have no sense of humor whatsoever do you, it's all partisan politics.

BTW, that is just a list some guy posted, how could anyone claim to know the median weight of people in any states, you would have to be an idiot to believe in such a list.

So with all this earth shattering ground breaking ( pun intended) information now available, tell us? Who got the most red headed step children to vote for them?

No stats has more fat bastards then NY, and they voted for BO.

That's a lie, actually. The pooer states are the most overweight because people can't afford to eat well. NYC is one of the healthier places.

So you might want to check out facts before you spew.

But reading your posts, I'm figuring you don't do much of that...not that I care about the weight issue. But you apparently do.

Oh..and that would be President-Elect Obama to you.

Damn, that must annoy you.

Fat people don't vote for Dimocrats on average because all those libbies want to regulate what you eat.

Ban trans fats, ban twinkies, ban big macs, ban sugary soda, etc etc etc

BTW, that is just a list some guy posted, how could anyone claim to know the median weight of people in any states, you would have to be an idiot to believe in such a list.

They know that , I suspect, because doctors typically do two things every time you go to the doctor...they check your weight/height and your vitals.

Of course no stats are woth anything if they're not gathered and compiled properly.

It's a leap of faith every time any of us depend on them, but usually (one hopes) if you know the source of the stats, you can decide if their data is real.

It is a silly comparison to make in the first place, but I am betting it has lesss to do with obesity and more to do with a related factor like socioeconomic status.

OK ............ here is some hope for the poor fat conservatives!
:scared1:

The Small Planet Institute | Diet for a Small Planet

Diet for a Small Planet
20th Anniversary Edition

Here again is the extraordinary bestselling book that taught America the social and personal significance of a new way of eating — one that remains a complete guide for eating well in the new millennium. Featuring: simple rules for a healthy diet; a streamlined, easy-to-use format; delicious food combinations of protein-rich meals without meat; hundreds of wonderful recipes, and much more.

They know that , I suspect, because doctors typically do two things every time you go to the doctor...they check your weight/height and your vitals.

Of course no stats are woth anything if they're not gathered and compiled properly.

It's a leap of faith every time any of us depend on them, but usually (one hopes) if you know the source of the stats, you can decide if their data is real.

Those stats are placed in your medical chart, which isn't public record.

Forum List

Back