Nationally Santorum leads by double digits

I don't think Slick Rick is going to be doing so well when America finds out how he screwed disabled veterans in his Catholic Church land grab...

I'm sure you're right that the Obama people will attack Santorum's Catholic faith and call him a racist, as they did Clinton, and will spend huge amounts of money on negative ads, but Santorum will be ok as long as he stays on message because he is perceived as running on well defined principles while Obama has never run on anything but slogans.

Obama didn't win in 2008 because he was a strong candidate, but because David Axelrod and David Plouffe raised huge amounts of money to spend on the campaign. Throughout the campaign, Obama outspent McCain by a ratio of 4 to 1 and by 5 to 1 during the last month.

Santorum, on the other hand, is running a winning campaign on a shoestring against an extremely well funded Romney campaign. If he wins the nomination and the Republicans raise as much money as Axelrod and Plouffe will raise for Obama, Santorum's principled stands on tough issues will give him a good chance of becoming out next president.

I'm not talking about attacking his faith, I'm talking about dirty, backroom politics that stole between $27 and $100 MILLION from a disabled veterans home in order to enrich a Catholic University in his district. Rick Santorum preaches a really good sermon, but his Christianity is as false as a $3 bill.

Santorum as the nominee could be a good thing for the GOP in the long run. The radical right and social conservatives will at last have their candidate; indeed, it will be a de facto National referendum on the social right’s agenda. After Santorum is defeated, republicans can move on in earnest to 2016. If the extreme right whines about the republican candidates not being ‘conservative enough’ again, mainstream Party members need only mention the Santorum debacle to shut them up.

Freed from the idiocy Santorum represents, the Republican Party can return to its roots of responsible governance and sound public policy.

lol....just when I thought my stock in the GOP couldn't fall further. I think it is safe to say that the GOP is a party of big government social conservatives.

For all the bitching Republicans do about the size of the federal government, they really don't care. They only care when it is not their guy expanding it.

Santorum as the nominee could be a good thing for the GOP in the long run. The radical right and social conservatives will at last have their candidate; indeed, it will be a de facto National referendum on the social right’s agenda. After Santorum is defeated, republicans can move on in earnest to 2016. If the extreme right whines about the republican candidates not being ‘conservative enough’ again, mainstream Party members need only mention the Santorum debacle to shut them up.

Freed from the idiocy Santorum represents, the Republican Party can return to its roots of responsible governance and sound public policy.

You underestimate the Republican right wing

If Santorum loses, they will claim he was not conservative enough

You underestimate the Republican right wing

If Santorum loses, they will claim he was not conservative enough.

True.

But real republicans need to get off of the tiger’s back that is the radical right and social conservatives sooner or later – sooner would be best, but it will be painful either way.

Forum List

Back