National Journal: McCain Tops List of Most Conservative Senators

This is so funny! :lol: First he's a wonderful Conservative as the Republican Presidential Candidate...then he's a horrible RINO as the AZ Senatorial Candidate...now he's back to being a wonderful Conservative.

I don't recall him ever being called a conservative candidate....even when he had a run at the presidency. A lot of conservatives didn't even vote on the presidency because he wasn't conservative enough.
But let's let a lib tell the conservatives how conservatives felt about him. :lol:
Makes for a good political board post :eusa_whistle:

This is so funny! :lol: First he's a wonderful Conservative as the Republican Presidential Candidate...then he's a horrible RINO as the AZ Senatorial Candidate...now he's back to being a wonderful Conservative.

I don't recall him ever being called a conservative candidate....even when he had a run at the presidency. A lot of conservatives didn't even vote on the presidency because he wasn't conservative enough.
But let's let a lib tell the conservatives how conservatives felt about him. :lol:

well, this *lib* thinks anyone who thinks he is anything but far right now, is such an extremist they can't really be trusted to make those assessments.

in 2000 he was a moderate and would have probably had my vote.

well, this *lib* thinks anyone who thinks he is anything but far right now, is such an extremist they can't really be trusted to make those assessments.

He's not far right.....trust me. :lol:

You can't be serious. McCain is a progressive,just like his daughter who admitted to being a progressive on camera. He is still for more Government not less Government.

Wow. And you all have the nerve to post on a political message board? :lol:

McCain WAS one of the most conservative Senators last year: he was in a death fight with wingnut J.D. Hayworth, who was spreading the batshit far and wide.

McCain won by completely abandoning his history as a moderate (that is, when he wasn't being all 'mavericky'). And he fooled the voters in fucked-up Arizona once again.

A moderate? Please! He as been more liberal than most liberals for decades.

I had to go look, I thought this was from NPR or something trying to convince us that McCain was a conservative in years past.

Here's what the article states and maybe they have a point, which doesn't speak well for other conservatives in the Senate.

That contrasts with previous years, when Mr. McCain regularly ranked as somewhere near the 45th most conservative member of the Senate.

What happened?

Several things. The 2008 presidential campaign forced Mr. McCain to become the standard-bearer of the Republican party, rather than a member who could embrace contrary positions whenever he wanted.

Even as he was losing to Mr. Obama in late 2008, Mr. McCain appeared to embrace his new role. His anti-Democratic rhetoric on the stump sharpened considerably from those days when he ranked near the bottom of the conservative Senators.

And even after Mr. Obama assumed the presidency and Mr. McCain returned to the Senate, the senator from Arizona took up the mantle of opposition to the Democratic president, especially on issues of health care.

Finally, as he approached re-election, Mr. McCain was challenged by a Tea Party candidate who accused Mr. McCain of not being a conservative. Perhaps to prove that wrong, Mr. McCain appears to have changed his voting pattern.

McCain could rival Goldwater as conservatives go and he will never win my vote. Of course, I never liked the extremes anyway so maybe that has something to do with that statement?

Immie

anti-choice... yep (dealbreaker for me)
pro iraq war... yep
bomb bomb bomb iran... yep
picked palin as VP... yep (inexcusable in and of itself)
build fence... yep
vote against health care reform... yep.

what positions of his aren't radical right? do you think the list is misleading?

anti-choice... yep (dealbreaker for me)
pro iraq war... yep
bomb bomb bomb iran... yep
picked palin as VP... yep (inexcusable in and of itself)
build fence... yep
vote against health care reform... yep.

what positions of his aren't radical right? do you think the list is misleading?

Immigration yep
Drilling ANWR nope
Global Warming yep

I agree, in the last two years he has turned to the right....but two years in his long political ride does not make a conservative....nor one that I and most conservatives could trust.
PS....He picked Palin because she WAS a true conservative...something he thought his campaign was in dire need of.

In the ideological rankings of members of Congress that the National Journal released Thursday, one name stands out.

Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona.

Once a self-described “maverick” whose conservative ranking in the survey was among the lowest in the Senate, Mr. McCain this year tied with a handful of other Republican senators as the most conservative of all, according to a release provided to The Caucus by the National Journal.

The news organization ranked lawmakers on the ideological spectrum based on about 100 key votes in 2010. The annual survey assigns point values to the votes, and Republicans receive scores. The closer to 100, the more conservative they are.

Mr. McCain earned an 89.7, putting him in a tie with senators like Jim DeMint of South Carolina, John Cornyn of Texas and John Barrasso of Wyoming. No one scored higher than that in this year’s survey.

That contrasts with previous years, when Mr. McCain regularly ranked as somewhere near the 45th most conservative member of the Senate.​

More at the link.

ROFLMAO of McCain is the most Conservative Senator then Conservatism is truly Dead.

But all those conservatives voted in the primaries. How was McCain able to win the nomination?

The only answer is that there are not as many conservatives as the fringe Right would have America believe.

Unless you have a more logical answer?

In the ideological rankings of members of Congress that the National Journal released Thursday, one name stands out.

Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona.

Once a self-described “maverick” whose conservative ranking in the survey was among the lowest in the Senate, Mr. McCain this year tied with a handful of other Republican senators as the most conservative of all, according to a release provided to The Caucus by the National Journal.

The news organization ranked lawmakers on the ideological spectrum based on about 100 key votes in 2010. The annual survey assigns point values to the votes, and Republicans receive scores. The closer to 100, the more conservative they are.

Mr. McCain earned an 89.7, putting him in a tie with senators like Jim DeMint of South Carolina, John Cornyn of Texas and John Barrasso of Wyoming. No one scored higher than that in this year’s survey.

That contrasts with previous years, when Mr. McCain regularly ranked as somewhere near the 45th most conservative member of the Senate.​

More at the link.

ROFLMAO of McCain is the most Conservative Senator then Conservatism is truly Dead.
Didn't bother to read the thread, eh, Charles? Try post #9 for your explanation.

Voting records do not lie.

But all those conservatives voted in the primaries. How was McCain able to win the nomination?

The only answer is that there are not as many conservatives as the fringe Right would have America believe.

Either that or many/most conservatives refused to vote for the Republican Party this Presidential election at all. I can't speak for others, but I consider myself somewhat conservative and I gave up on the party shortly after Bush won his second term, actually before then but I couldn't stand Kerry so I voted against him. I think most conservatives are completely disgusted with both parties. Some I am sure voted Republican for McCain as the lesser of two evils. I would not doubt it at all to learn that some also chose President Obama while many such as myself voted third party or did not vote at all.

I decided very early on that I was not voting for McCain. It took me much longer to decide I would not vote for Barack Obama.

I think the conservative vote was somewhat split in '08 and came together again in '10 to some degree.

Oh and Boe, it was the National Journal that is informing us that McCain ranks high among conservatives, not Synth. Last I knew The National Journal was considered conservative.

Immie

Last edited:
Poor old Johnnie McCain has usually been the lesser of the two evils when it came to republican voters. His mush-mouth way of speaking and his flip flop on issues depending on who is listening not to mention his timid way of campaigning such as instructing his staff never to mention Obama's middle name has never been especially popular. The headline should have read "the most conservative republican in the senate votes against conservative values more than 10% of the time". It's a matter of timing. The Tea Party has been around or less than two years and senators run every six years so it's hard to put pressure on intrenched politicians.

Last edited:
The republican party is insane today, so whether McCain is considered conservative or a Martian makes little difference so long as he toots the horn for anti American worker corporate greed.

"This must be what it’s like when a country goes insane, when it falls down a rabbit hole and tries to pretend that everything is normal. ¶ It can’t tell truths from lies. Hucksters pose as upright men, and people imagine they are Solons, avatars of insight come down from the ages. Sleazy operators pass themselves off as statesmen, as thinkers of deep gravitas, and the crowds, unable to distinguish sanctimony from sincerity, bravado from bullshit, lap it up. ¶ Let’s be clear. It was the Republicans who wrecked the economy. Both their people and their policies drove the economy into the ditch. They wrecked the economy not once, but twice in the last eighty years. ¶ So Republicans condescending to instruct Americans about how to fix the economy is like the captain of the Titanic lecturing shipping operators about safe procedures for navigating the north Atlantic. No sane society would tolerate it. But this one does." When a Country Goes Insane | Common Dreams

Either that or many/most conservatives refused to vote for the Republican Party this Presidential election at all. I can't speak for others, but I consider myself somewhat conservative and I gave up on the party shortly after Bush won his second term, actually before then but I couldn't stand Kerry so I voted against him. I think most conservatives are completely disgusted with both parties. Some I am sure voted Republican for McCain as the lesser of two evils. I would not doubt it at all to learn that some also chose President Obama while many such as myself voted third party or did not vote at all.

I decided very early on that I was not voting for McCain. It took me much longer to decide I would not vote for Barack Obama.

I think the conservative vote was somewhat split in '08 and came together again in '10 to some degree.

Oh and Boe, it was the National Journal that is informing us that McCain ranks high among conservatives, not Synth. Last I knew The National Journal was considered conservative.

Immie
You are, of course, correct about the National Journal. Some would rather shoot the messenger, even if they do not even understand who the messenger is. :)

There were bona fide conservatives in the field. First you had 'Phear Da Phred' Thompson, and there was also Duncan Hunter and Jim Gilmour.

If conservatives really had the numbers they claim, they could have easily elevated any of those three to the nomination. Hell, even Huckameenajad is more conservative than McCain.

Poor old Johnnie McCain has usually been the lesser of the two evils when it came to republican voters. His mush-mouth way of speaking and his flip flop on issues depending on who is listening not to mention his timid way of campaigning such as instructing his staff never to mention Obama's middle name has never been especially popular. The headline should have read "the most conservative republican in the senate votes against conservative values more than 10% of the time". It's a matter of timing. The Tea Party has been around or less than two years and senators run every six years so it's hard to put pressure on intrenched politicians.

Well, it's never been popular with the bigots and racists, that's true.

Immie
You are, of course, correct about the National Journal. Some would rather shoot the messenger, even if they do not even understand who the messenger is. :)

There were bona fide conservatives in the field. First you had 'Phear Da Phred' Thompson, and there was also Duncan Hunter and Jim Gilmour.

If conservatives really had the numbers they claim, they could have easily elevated any of those three to the nomination. Hell, even Huckameenajad is more conservative than McCain.

Well, once again speaking just for me, my heart wasn't in the '08 elections. After eight years of Bush, I doubted myself along with the politicians. I remember asking, "Am I a conservative? If that is what a conservative is, do I even want to be one?"

Immie

Well, it's never been popular with the bigots and racists, that's true.

True enough. That's why he is a republican.

And this was person who the republicans chose as their presidential candidate. :D

If you ask me, conservatives were "damned if you do and damned if you don't" in that election. Of course, I suspect there are many on the left that will say conservatives are damned anyway. :lol:

Immie

Forum List

Back