National Debt now more than $2-trillion larger than on the day Pres Trump took office

Question: the federal deficit in FY 2017 was $666 billion, and was $779 billion in FY 2018. So, how'd the national debt grow by $2 trillion over Trump's 1st 2 years in office?

The Treasury Department today released a report showing the official fiscal year 2018 deficit was $779 billion, an increase of $113 billion, or 17 percent, from last year.

FY 2018 Deficit Was $779 Billion

I believe I may found the answer to my own question: the interest paid on the national debt over the past 2 years is somewhere around $573 billion, which I believe when added to Trump's deficits takes you over $2 trillion in new debt. So, when the dishonest Left tries to bitch about the increase in the debt during Trump's time in office, it's partly due to the interest we have to pay on the debt accrued before he even took office.

4 Ways to Reduce the Interest on the Debt

Which BTW IS steadily rising, due to higher interest rates and a bigger principal debt number. At this point, I think it's pointless to point fingers at only one side; the truth is that we are passing on to our kids and grandkids one heckuva problem. The only way out IMHO is both spending cuts and higher revenues, but mostly cuts from reforms to our entitlement programs. I think we may have to go the route that the Europeans are using, a VAT tax.
We could start by cutting off ALL welfare to illegal immigrants and build the damn wall to keep more from coming in while we round up the parasites who are already here, committing crimes.
illegals don't get federal welfare

Yup, who needs federal welfare when then can get state welfare.
States only provide about 25% of the social welfare.

The first year belongs to Obama.
Mostly.

But so far, this fiscal year, Trump is on pace for a $1.8 trillion dollar deficit.

That is astronomically bad.

It's OK, because Mexico is going to pay for it....
They have already in the billions saved by the NEW NAFTA Bill.....but you scum knew this, info out there for weeks!

They have, probably not since none of the countries involved have ratified it yet. Keep trying lil monkey.

Mostly.

But so far, this fiscal year, Trump is on pace for a $1.8 trillion dollar deficit.

They have already in the billions saved by the NEW NAFTA Bill.....but you scum knew this, info out there for weeks!

They have, probably not since none of the countries involved have ratified it yet. Keep trying lil monkey.
You ABNORMALS think the countries won't ratify it....ROTFLMFAO!

Mostly.

You ABNORMALS think the countries won't ratify it....ROTFLMFAO!

Ewe said it is being paid for by new NAFTA, I pointed out how that is impossible since no country has ratified it as of yet. Carry on.

Forum List

Back