National Death by Lethal Prescription Legislation

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Derek_Plumber, May 24, 2009.

1. Derek_Plumber

Derek_Plumber BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If a person is struggling through a long painful death, should they have a right to die like citizens do in Oregon and Washington State? Why isn't Death with Dignity protected with a national law?

2. Derek_Plumber

Derek_Plumber BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    According to the Pew Research Center

An overwhelming majority of the public supports laws that give patients the right to decide whether they want to be kept alive through medical treatment. And fully 70% say there are circumstances when patients should be allowed to die, while just 22% believe that doctors and nurses should always do everything possible to save a patient.

But Americans make a distinction between allowing a terminally ill person to die and taking action to end someone's life. The public is deeply divided over legalizing physician-assisted suicide; 46% approve of laws permitting doctors to help patients to end their lives, while about as many are opposed (45%).

3. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    There are, I believe, two major issues that concern proponents of assissted suicide. Many from the religious right are against any type of suicide for any reason because if you commit suicide, it is said you cannot enter Heaven. Of course, I kind of doubt God was referring to the terminally ill who are in unbearable pain, but that is one issue.

The bigger issue with many people is that there is a fear that assisted suicide will become to easy, and that we could end of helping people end their lives who may not actually want to do so. Kids waiting on an inheritance might be happy to get rid of Mom who has been suffering some, but just keeps hanging on. If Mom isn't completely in her right mind, she might go along with it.

Despite those concerns, it seems that for those who are truly in pain and terminal, there could be enough safeguards to avoid such scenarios. I watched my wife die from leukemia. She went through some awful things to make the ten months she did, but she fought all the way to the end, or almost to the end. One week before she had to be ventilated for pneumonia, she told me she couldn't do it anymore. I knew that was the end. She had given it everything she could, but we all have our limits. I know when my time comes, if I have to go through what she did, I would want the option of calling it quits when I wanted to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    The reason this has become an issue in the first place is because medical science is now capable of keeping people alive in more cases than it should. Now we are able to see the effects of an artificially prolonged life span, and people are also starting to care about suffering more since death is becoming a smaller issue.

5. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    I'm sorry about your wife. That must have been extremely difficult for you and your family. Did you consider hospice?

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    Give the Government the right to determine who should or should not be kept alive medically and you can forget about the slippery slope within a generation "assisted" will become mandatory to cut health care costs.

7. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Right now, the government has little say in it, and as long as it stays that way I see little problem with it. But yeah, give them an inch ...

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    Any law that allows people to chose death is giving the Government the power. After that happens then the argument will become, since people do not want to suffer anymore, why should we waste money on THESE people and these procedures.

9. Father Time

Father Time I'll be Still Alive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Wait how is it giving government that power if the person has to consent to it?

Also the government unfortunately all ready has the power to end someone's life, with execution.

10. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Thanks. She started out with chemo but relapsed. The next step was a stem cell transplant with one of her sister's as a donor. She went through complete body radiation and had the stem cell transplant. Unfortunately, it seems the doctors over suppressed the new cells.

Stem cell transplants are only successful around 20 to 25 percent of the time. One of the biggest problems is suppressing graft vs host disease. What happens is the opposite of what happens when someone has an organ transplant. When a person has an organ transplant, the body's white cells attack the organ as they see it as something foreign to the body, which it is. So with organ transplants, they need to suppress the white cells so they do not destroy the new organ.

With a stem cell transplant, all the white cells are destroyed and then the donor cells are place in the body. There are no white cells to fight off the new cells, but because the new stem cells see everything as being foreign, they actually begin to attack the body. If left unsuppressed they will kill the host. So they need suppressants to allow the new cells time to adjust. Those new cells, at the same time, must destroy any old cells that the body tries to produce as it is trying to replace the lost cells due to the radiation. They have to find a perfect balance where the new cells don't kill the patient, but at the same time are not suppressed to the point that the body can reproduce it's own cells which will again be bad cells.

Anyway, that was the result. They over suppressed the new cells and she relapsed. After that it was all downhill. They were going to try again, but she was too weak and then she caught a cold which developed into pneumonia. She had no white cells at the time due to more chemo and she couldn't fight it off. Not even antibiotics could save her.

The good thing was that she did have some good moments through those last ten months, and she was at home until the last few days. There was no need for hospice. There were times when she was feeling decent. She also got to spend some extra time with the kids. But in the end it was just too much.