Nation-Building: Yea or Nay?...

LibocalypseNow

Jul 30, 2009
I know where i stand on this one. I find it completely ludicrous that we're all over the World building other nations while ours is falling apart. I definitely vote Nay on Nation-Building. I would like to hear what others think though. Thanks.

No. And my opinion hasn't changed for years. We need to get our asses home and mind our own damn business. We have problems on our southern border. Our citizens cannot live in safteyfrom the threat hordes of murderous maurading drug cartels and here are asses are securing South Korea's border.

Good points Willow. Yea i just don't get it. How can we be building all these nations around the world while ours continues to fall apart? It's pretty sad.

So Mission not accomplished?

Which Mission? The "Missions" seem to change all the time. Now we're conducting a Drug War in Afghanistan as well. That was never part of the original Mission. That's probably the biggest problem with aggressive Foreign Interventionism. The "Missions" always seem to change from what the original stated goals were. I don't want our kids burning poor Afghan farmers' crops. That's not what i want our soldiers engaged in. It wasn't part of the original mission either. So i don't think there can ever be a "Mission Accomplished" in these types of interventions. That's why it's time to change our Foreign Policy. No more aggressive Foreign Interventionism.

Sure ... so long as the enemy has uncontitionally surrendered.

I'm one of those folks who believe that it is immoral to engage in the disgusting and tragic event of war without the complete determination to win the thing outright.

So, I guess you could say, based on the way both of these wars are being fought, that I oppose both engagements as immoral.

War is ugly. I'd rather see it fought with NO MERCY and over quickly, than to occupy a nation for a decade ... or two ... in the hopes that a new generation will see the light.

In the long run more people have died than were necessary.

If we (The USA) doesn't have the stomach or the will to decisively win .. and know what has to be done to decisaively win, in a short amount of time ... then it is immoral to consider the option to begin with.

This opinion goes beyond party lines for me. I have family and friends serving. We owe them the freedom to do whatever it takes .... WHATEVER IT TAKES! to win the war as quickly as possible.

We also owe it to our enemy.

Getting rid of Saddam was the mission.

If the Iraqis want democracy, they will have to do it for themselves. We can't do it for them.

and democracy in its primitive stages is not quite what we would like.

So get rid of the monster who threatens everyone is a good goal.

But now that Liberty Valance is dead, community building is the responsibility of the community. Not outside forces.

I know where i stand on this one. I find it completely ludicrous that we're all over the World building other nations while ours is falling apart. I definitely vote Nay on Nation-Building. I would like to hear what others think though. Thanks.
Agreed.

Trying to build nations in our own image is arrogant and just plain stupid. In some countries a dictatorship is the only form of government that can survive. In others only a theocracy will make it. It takes a unique combination of factors for a democratic republic such as ours to take hold.

Politicians use to say a democratic government is necessary for capitalism to survive. I guess China blew that theory to hell.

Unfortunately i'm seeing this President beginning to back-track a bit on his withdrawal promises. I am now inclined to believe that we will not be leaving Afghanistan or Iraq in the foreseeable future. It looks like Afghanistan & Iraq will become a South Korea scenario. How sad.

Unfortunately i'm seeing this President beginning to back-track a bit on his withdrawal promises. I am now inclined to believe that we will not be leaving Afghanistan or Iraq in the foreseeable future. It looks like Afghanistan & Iraq will become a South Korea scenario. How sad.

That's wat happens when you:

a. Have an admin that can't even bring itself to admit who our enemies are
b. Have an admin that uses idiotic terms like "man caused disaster" (Good Lord)
c. Have an admin that thinks the U.S. is the root of all evil
d. Have an admin that thinks Iran is just a "tiny little country"
e. Have an admin that thinks "man caused disaster" causers are "legal issues"
f. Have an admin that thinks we can't suceed at ANYTHING (except mimmicking Greece)

Yep.. we're fucked.

We should have been in and out of Iraq years ago... but Bush tried to fight a politically correct war. And I soubt Obama even realizes we are still there. He can't put down the golf clubs and the hamburgers long enough to do shit.

Last edited:
No. After a war, we clean up our mess and then go home. If the country seeks guidance on reforms, fine - but it is futile to try to import a U.S. style system into medieval tribalism unless we are willing to be permanent imperialists. No thank you.

Voting NO NO NO NO can i vote again NO

When this country is "fixed" then we can help work on everyone else.

And in the pecking order of help. Help the countries first that don't hate us!

Forum List

Back