Nathan is FINALLY getting tubes...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
He went to his hearing test on 2/16, and he passed, but the internal test showed there was fluid there. So afterward we took him to urgent care to see what we could do to prevent another infection, since his last one was in January. The dr said to give him dimetapp, but they don't make any for kids his age, so the pharmacist said to give him 1/4th the dose on the bottle.

Nathan then got sick with some bug 3 days later, to the point where he could not even keep pedialyte or weak koolaid down. So I took him to the ER in fear of dehydration as well as making sure he wasn't sick with something truly bad. The ER dr there said he had whatever bug was going around, AND a double ear infection. ARGH! So he gave us a Rx for antibiotics. He sent us on our way.

Then I get a phonecall from Nathan's ped saying he wants to see Nathan for a recheck because of the hearing test results. I set up the appt for that.
Then...last Tuesday, Nathan was sick with a horrible cough, and low grade fever, and all the signs of an ear infection...again. So, we go to urgent care, and they give him another Rx for a different antibiotic.

We get to the dr. office and I told Nathan's ped that we can't go through this anymore, and that we really don't think his ears have ever really drained completely, if at all. So he finally put the order/referral in for tubes. He didn't want to before because he said that the infections were too far apart to really worry about.

I think that his ears never really drained and he either got used to the pain or they never really hurt like Tim's, as he had the same thing when he was younger, and is now 30% deaf in his left ear.

So...hopefully we can get in soon, because I want to get Nathan enrolled in speech therapy ASAP, so he can catch up with other kids his age.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I think that his ears never really drained and he either got used to the pain or they never really hurt like Tim's, as he had the same thing when he was younger, and is now 30% deaf in his left ear.

More than likely the case with possible wax build up, which will be removed when the tubes are implanted.

I'm glad this is finally being resloved for your son, it's a hard thing to go through.

mom4 said:
Good luck, Fuzzy. It's hard to go through stuff with your child.
i can deal with getting the tubes in and anything else. it's the fact that when he talks, we can't understand anything he says. He says SOME words, but not very clearly.

I just want to get him talking so we can start to introduce potty training later this summer. I want him to be able to tell me he has to go potty, among other things he wants/needs. We basically have to guess at this point.

Said1 said:
More than likely the case with possible wax build up, which will be removed when the tubes are implanted.

I'm glad this is finally being resloved for your son, it's a hard thing to go through.

it could be. i would have cleaned his ears more when he was younger, but i have always been told and have read that it is a bad idea, and to let the wax work itself out rather than use a q-tip, even the ones specially made for infants...

fuzzykitten99 said:
i can deal with getting the tubes in and anything else. it's the fact that when he talks, we can't understand anything he says. He says SOME words, but not very clearly.

I just want to get him talking so we can start to introduce potty training later this summer. I want him to be able to tell me he has to go potty, among other things he wants/needs. We basically have to guess at this point.
I know. My best friend's child had speech problems. He was basically inventing his own language. But you caught it early. I'm sure everything will work out.

fuzzykitten99 said:
it could be. i would have cleaned his ears more when he was younger, but i have always been told and have read that it is a bad idea, and to let the wax work itself out rather than use a q-tip, even the ones specially made for infants...
I have never used q-tips for that. The dr can clean it with special instruments and a water pick.

fuzzykitten99 said:

It's usually stuck around the ear drum. You can use peroxide of you want, but don't poke around, it only makes it worse.

My daughter had the same problem, when the doctor put the tubes in her ears, he told me there was a large build up of ear wax that he removed and it's also not uncommon.

The speach thing will work itself out before you know it. It's not a huge deal since he's so young and you seem like the type of parent who will stay on top of it. My daughter started having problems at nine months, so you can imagine what her speach was like at 3 1/2 when they finally put tubes in her ears.

*update*
Tubes went in last friday, and I already notice a difference in his behavior and personality-though he's still a little terrorist, but seems more inclined to listen to us when we tell him no. AND...he's already picked up a few words/phrases he had never said before: baseball, Rosie (his sitter's name), "Oh God!", juice, & milk.

i still want to get him into speech therapy to correct what he has been saying already though.

fuzzykitten99 said:
*update*
Tubes went in last friday, and I already notice a difference in his behavior and personality-though he's still a little terrorist, but seems more inclined to listen to us when we tell him no. AND...he's already picked up a few words/phrases he had never said before: baseball, Rosie (his sitter's name), "Oh God!", juice, & milk.

i still want to get him into speech therapy to correct what he has been saying already though.

Wonderful! Isn't it AMAZING how quickly you see positive changes?

He may not even need therapy after the assesment, just little motivational things you can do on your own with some follow up, just to be sure. Plus, you're going to be spending oodles of time with him soon! He sounds like a bright little guy!

Said1 said:
Wonderful! Isn't it AMAZING how quickly you see positive changes?

He may not even need therapy after the assesment, just little motivational things you can do on your own with some follow up, just to be sure. Plus, you're going to be spending oodles of time with him soon! He sounds like a bright little guy!

oh, i had to post this...
this morning, i went to kiss him goodbye before i left for work. Tim didn't start until noon today, so he was dropping Nathan off later. Nathan was still sleeping and I gave him a kiss on the cheek, he rolled over and told me to 'Go away" in a half-asleep voice! I would have been a little hurt if it weren't for the fact that I was excited to hear more words from him as clear as these were!

I am at least going to get him evaluated for his progress with the Early Intervention program through the county. It is paid for through the county, so I don't have to worry about how to finance it.

at the age of 2 he was constantly on medication and his speech was delayed. Finally after the tubes were in place his speech improved dramaticly and quickly. He is now 13 boy time sure flys but he is on the honor roll and doing great. So good luck with your children and the tubes will help alot I just wish they wouldnt have the children go through so much before putting them in.

It's so hard when your little to understand what's going on, happily it sounds as though he is off to a good start early, so he will be able to not only catch up but even excel!

Forum List

Back