Natasha Richardson died

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Natasha Richardson dies at 45 after ski accident

NEW YORK – Natasha Richardson, a gifted and precocious heiress to acting royalty whose career highlights included the film "Patty Hearst" and a Tony-winning performance in a stage revival of "Cabaret," died Wednesday at age 45 after suffering a head injury from a skiing accident.
Alan Nierob, the Los Angeles-based publicist for Richardson's husband Liam Neeson, confirmed her death in a written statement.
"Liam Neeson, his sons, and the entire family are shocked and devastated by the tragic death of their beloved Natasha," the statement said. "They are profoundly grateful for the support, love and prayers of everyone, and ask for privacy during this very difficult time."
The statement did not give details on the cause of death for Richardson, who suffered a head injury when she fell on a beginner's trail during a private ski lesson at the luxury Mont Tremblant ski resort in Quebec. She was hospitalized Tuesday in Montreal and later flown to a hospital in New York City.
Family members had been seen coming and going from the New York hospital where Richardson was reportedly taken.

Natasha Richardson dies at 45 after ski accident

NEW YORK – Natasha Richardson, a gifted and precocious heiress to acting royalty whose career highlights included the film "Patty Hearst" and a Tony-winning performance in a stage revival of "Cabaret," died Wednesday at age 45 after suffering a head injury from a skiing accident.
Alan Nierob, the Los Angeles-based publicist for Richardson's husband Liam Neeson, confirmed her death in a written statement.
"Liam Neeson, his sons, and the entire family are shocked and devastated by the tragic death of their beloved Natasha," the statement said. "They are profoundly grateful for the support, love and prayers of everyone, and ask for privacy during this very difficult time."
The statement did not give details on the cause of death for Richardson, who suffered a head injury when she fell on a beginner's trail during a private ski lesson at the luxury Mont Tremblant ski resort in Quebec. She was hospitalized Tuesday in Montreal and later flown to a hospital in New York City.
Family members had been seen coming and going from the New York hospital where Richardson was reportedly taken.

My prayers go out to her husband and family. In the hustle and bustle of life we tend to forget that we are all one heartbeat away.

In the hustle and bustle of life we tend to forget that we are all one heartbeat away.

Great advice. A solid reference point when making decisions. Is anything more precious than time?
Could have been an aneurysm etc. Totally unrelated to the fall.
carpe diem

Very sad.

You're out enjoying life, learning new things, and then.................

:(

Always thought that falling down a hill with a pair of modified barrel staves tied to your feet was a really dangerous hobby...

Condolences to friends and family

I never wore a helmet skiing, but more and more people are. It makes sense. I think I'll start.

Our thoughts go out to her family.

I never wore a helmet skiing, but more and more people are. It makes sense. I think I'll start.

Our thoughts go out to her family.
If you hit your head hard enough to cause it to slam into the inside of your skull, there's not a helmet on the planet that will help you with that. But of course, you know that. Helmets too often give a false sense of security IMO. However, I myself always wear mine while riding my motorcycle.

Sad and tragic indeed.

If you hit your head hard enough to cause it to slam into the inside of your skull, there's not a helmet on the planet that will help you with that.

True...but a helmet does help, more due to the padding then the hard shell. The soft padding helps to slow your head down just a slight bit upon impact when it is rapidly decelerating.

If you hit your head hard enough to cause it to slam into the inside of your skull, there's not a helmet on the planet that will help you with that.

True...but a helmet does help, more due to the padding then the hard shell. The soft padding helps to slow your head down just a slight bit upon impact when it is rapidly decelerating.

However the extra weight ain't real helpful in dealing with the whiplash--ow my neck.

However the extra weight ain't real helpful in dealing with the whiplash--ow my neck.

That's why you should always wear a neck brace.

Does anyone know exactly what the cause of death was? I saw a doc on tv talking about an epidural hemorrhage, where the bleed occurs between the skull and the brain. The symptoms were no visible signs of injury/trauma but within an hour, headache, not feeling well, etc. occur. He indicated that if attended to within a few hours of the initial injury it was fixable. Don't know if this is what she specifically suffered from.

I really, really like her. I'm just shocked by this. Her family . . . has many prayers from many people.

Does anyone know exactly what the cause of death was? I saw a doc on tv talking about an epidural hemorrhage, where the bleed occurs between the skull and the brain. The symptoms were no visible signs of injury/trauma but within an hour, headache, not feeling well, etc. occur. He indicated that if attended to within a few hours of the initial injury it was fixable. Don't know if this is what she specifically suffered from.

I really, really like her. I'm just shocked by this. Her family . . . has many prayers from many people.

I haven't heard exactly, but epidural hemorrhage seems most likely. That occurs when arteries in the lining of the skull are severed in a quick deceleration injury. When arteries rupture, they keep pumping and cause a lot of pressure in the skull. If attended to quickly, a hole can be drilled into the skull to release the pressure and the blood.

If not, pressure builds and there is only one place for the soft brain to go...down through the hole in the bottom of the skull into the spinal cord. This results in brain death.

The other common types of intracranial bleeds are subdural hemorrhage (which is a venous bleed and it usually stops itself do the the low blood pressure of venous blood) and subarachnoid bleeds (which are bleeding from the capillaries). These two types of bleeding are much slower and are less likely to result in death because there is less pressure.

I haven't heard exactly, but epidural hemorrhage seems most likely. That occurs when arteries in the lining of the skull are severed in a quick deceleration injury. When arteries rupture, they keep pumping and cause a lot of pressure in the skull. If attended to quickly, a hole can be drilled into the skull to release the pressure and the blood.

If not, pressure builds and there is only one place for the soft brain to go...down through the hole in the bottom of the skull into the spinal cord. This results in brain death.

The other common types of intracranial bleeds are subdural hemorrhage (which is a venous bleed and it usually stops itself do the the low blood pressure of venous blood) and subarachnoid bleeds (which are bleeding from the capillaries). These two types of bleeding are much slower and are less likely to result in death because there is less pressure.

Thanks for that info. I can't imagine that they couldn't help her. She went to the hospital shortly after her fall, but obviously her condition deteriorated very, very quickly. I'm truly saddened by her death.

She went to the hospital shortly after her fall, but obviously her condition deteriorated very, very quickly. I'm truly saddened by her death.
It was at least an hour before she went, according to reports. An hour of bleeding into the skull before the resultant headache was noticed as the first symptom. Not good.

She went to the hospital shortly after her fall, but obviously her condition deteriorated very, very quickly. I'm truly saddened by her death.
It was at least an hour before she went, according to reports. An hour of bleeding into the skull before the resultant headache was noticed as the first symptom. Not good.

Ah, I thought she went sooner than that. I know she was on the slopes when she fell . . . what did her head hit? Ice? Hard snow? My son was pushed down at recess when he was 9 or so and slammed his head on the ground. I mean slammed. Goose egg the size of two golf balls. He was fine. He was standing still when he got knocked down though. I'm thinking she was moving when she fell . . .

Skulls don't have any give so when all your blood tries to occupy the same place as your brain something has to give and the something is usually your brain and you shortly there after.

Forum List

Back