Nassau Cops: PTA Mom, Boy Found Half Naked In Car

whos to say how this will effect every future relationship he tries to have?

even still, this is a case of an adult that should know better, taking advantage of a minor that is just starting to go through puberty

and that alone is criminal

Thanks for the extensive response...powerful! :clap2:

Did this incident happen recently or was it dug up from manifold's past?

Now this is quite a debate. But who shall be the victor in this contest? Will it be he who said:

Don't make me laugh. You asserted that young adolescents lacked maturity and competence, and I asked you to provide a basis for those beliefs. You were evidently unable to do so, so I will provide a basis for my own beliefs that they do not, as I have before.

My contention is that, contrary to popular belief, the commonly accepted claim that adolescents are incapable of exercising rational judgment abilities is not an indisputably correct one. Supporters of this position frequently cite studies conducted with the use of magnetic resonance imaging or functional magnetic resonance imaging that illustrate that the teenage brain is “underdeveloped,” and that adolescents are thus often incapable of making rational or well informed decisions about significant issues. Yet, as Dr. Robert Epstein, former editor of Psychology Today, notes in an article published in Scientific American Mind, thought there is some semblance of a correlation between adolescence and brain development illustrated in these scans, there is no evidence of causation by a natural stage of adolescence. His chief counter-argument references the fact that adolescents have been severely infantilized in modern society, in contrast to the important adult role they played in past times, and it may be this factor that has led to the lack of brain development so commonly assumed to be a natural byproduct of adolescence. As such, it would not be intellectually honest to declare the infallibility of these scans just yet.

There are several studies that have been conducted on the basis of measuring the actual competency of adolescents to make informed decisions, as opposed to highly speculative guesswork based on snapshots of the brain.

An important one is that of Lois A. Weithorn and Susan B. Campbell, which tested four groups of people, aged 9, 14, 18, and 21. The study, entitled The Competency of Children and Adolescents to Make Informed Treatment Decisions, came to the conclusion that 14 year olds were capable of making medical decisions with a level of competence equivalent to that of legal adults. As partially summarized by Weithorn and Campbell:

"In general, minors aged 14 were found to demonstrate a level of competency equivalent to that of adults, according to four standards of competency (evidence of choice, reasonable outcome, rational reasons, and understanding), and for four hypothetical dilemmas (diabetes, epilepsy, depression and enuresis.)…The findings of this research do not lend support to policies which deny adolescents the right of self-determination in treatment situations on the basis of a presumption of incapacity to provide informed consent. The ages of eighteen or twenty-one as the “cutoffs” below which individuals are presumed to be incompetent to make determinations about their own welfare do not reflect the psychological capacities of most adolescents."

The earlier study of researchers Grisso and Vierling, Minors’ Consent to Treatment: A Developmental Perspective, came to a similar conclusion, the authors stating that “existing evidence provides no legal assumption that minors aged 15 years and above cannot provide competent consent.”

Researchers Bruce Ambuel and Julian Rappaport discovered similar results in a study intended to specifically focus on this topic, entitled Developmental trends in adolescents' psychological and legal competence to consent to abortion. The study confirmed the fact that the rational judgment and decision making capacities of adolescents, (particularly those at or beyond mid-adolescence), were often on par with those of adults.

In a wide-ranging review of the developmental literature on adolescents’ abilities to make rational decisions about medical treatment, researchers Kuther and Posada confirmed that, “the literature in developmental psychology has shown that adolescents are able to make meaningful decisions and advocates for youth have argued that researchers must respect the autonomy rights of children and adolescents,” thus confirming the legitimacy and validity of the previous studies to a great degree.

Or he who said:

The suspense thickens! :eek:

I hope for his sake that she wasn't one of those homely looking PTA wide bodies but, one of the few lookers who comes along. One of those homely PTA wide bodies could damage him for life and send him to the backside of sexual orientation.

:lol: you are such an idiot
LOL

Keep it up there, Skip. :lol:

I hope for his sake that she wasn't one of those homely looking PTA wide bodies but, one of the few lookers who comes along. One of those homely PTA wide bodies could damage him for life and send him to the backside of sexual orientation.

Sorry to disappoint, but uh...

1131359.jpg

:eek:

I can't say that this kid has had trauma or not. To say he doesn't just because he's a he isn't right. If he does, he's less likely to open up about it and deal with it head on. If not dealt with it can be something he'll destroy his life over.

The only trauma he will face is if he's identified and the big fuss engulfs him. If he'd had sex with her and she dropped him off near home he would have gone to his room to relive the experience and probably to hit the phone or IM to brag to his mates about being laid.

whos to say how this will effect every future relationship he tries to have?

even still, this is a case of an adult that should know better, taking advantage of a minor that is just starting to go through puberty

and that alone is criminal

EXACTLY!!! This will have lasting effects on him.

At the risk of being called a sexist, I bet this kid is getting high five slaps from his buddies. He wasn't traumatized.

That's the point. It's different for boys.

I wish I could have nailed a couple of my teachers in high school....

Forum List

Back