NASA to Hold Media Call on Evidence of Surprising Activity on Europa

SixFoot

Get off my lawn!
Sep 4, 2014
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...-on-evidence-of-surprising-activity-on-europa

"NASA will host a teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Monday, Sept. 26, to present new findings from images captured by the agency’s Hubble Space Telescope of Jupiter’s icy moon, Europa.

Astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa. Participants in the teleconference will be:
  • Paul Hertz, director of the Astrophysics Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington
  • William Sparks, astronomer with the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore
  • Britney Schmidt, assistant professor at the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta
  • Jennifer Wiseman, senior Hubble project scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland"

Sounds exciting enough. Why so low-key?

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...-on-evidence-of-surprising-activity-on-europa

"NASA will host a teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT Monday, Sept. 26, to present new findings from images captured by the agency’s Hubble Space Telescope of Jupiter’s icy moon, Europa.

Astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa. Participants in the teleconference will be:
  • Paul Hertz, director of the Astrophysics Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington
  • William Sparks, astronomer with the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore
  • Britney Schmidt, assistant professor at the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta
  • Jennifer Wiseman, senior Hubble project scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland"

I'd say it's probably so low key because sadly, nobody cares. Half the country thinks NASA's money should be spent here at home, the other half thinks Jesus is coming any day now and space is pointless. An ocean on Europa is somewhat interesting, but people won't care until they see photos of life.

Yeah, they gobble up $17B every year, and the Military only gets $600B!
No worries, Trump will fix this...

Whatever the images show will only lead to theories. We'll likely have to land one or more vehicles there to find out for sure. For me, it is great news! Astronomy is near the top of the list of things that interest me. Life and evolution being at the top. So this may encompass both, bring it on!

http://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

2000px-NASA-Budget-Federal.svg.png

and social spending gets $2T

the enemies of science spending are far and away all the parasites who get mad when we build a rocket instead of pay for their health care Obama Administration Proposes Smaller 2017 NASA Budget of $19 Billion with Big Exploration Cuts - Universe Today

The Obama Administration has announced its new Federal budget and is proposing to cut NASA’s Fiscal Year 2017 Budget to $19 billion by carving away significant funding for deep space exploration, whereas the overall US Federal budget actually increases to over $4.1 trillion

Obama also said nasa must make muslims feel better? LOL

actually I have observed NASA is holding pressers as a way to keep attention on them, seems like a PR move.

They kept releasing Pluto photos in dribs and drabs, I think they still are.

The public that supports them will always follow anyway, most people won't care.

I supported them in the past, Obama has politicized them so much it is getting harder.

I wish to be in the moon one day. Who will help me achieve my dream here?

Thanks for posting this just reading about it, man I bet you we find life on that moon no latter then 2030

Hubble spots evidence of water plumes on Jupiter's moon Europa

Suprised you posted that, I would of just went on and said the military's space budget is twice that of NASA

Nasa is a part of what makes America great and a leadership in advance tech. Of course, the people that wish to see America go back to the 18th century don't like it.

NASA does not give us tech leadership, it is mostly symbolic

Forum List

Back