NASA plans space-station handoff to private sector

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a kind of orbiting real-estate venture run not by the government, but by private industry.

The White House plans to stop funding for the station after 2024, ending direct federal support of the orbiting laboratory. But it does not intend to abandon the orbiting laboratory altogether, and is working on a transition plan that could turn the station over to the private sector, according to an internal NASA document obtained by The Washington Post.

“The decision to end direct federal support for the ISS in 2025 does not imply that the platform itself will be deorbited at that time — it is possible that industry could continue to operate certain elements or capabilities of the ISS as part of a future commercial platform,” the document states. “NASA will expand international and commercial partnerships over the next seven years in order to ensure continued human access to and presence in low Earth orbit.”

In its budget request to be released Monday, the administration would request $150 million in fiscal year 2019, with more in additional years, “to enable the development and maturation of commercial entities and capabilities which will ensure that commercial successors to the ISS-potentially including elements of the ISS-are operational when they are needed.”

Reason 5,607 why I hate these folks.

My feelings are mixed
On One hand this means no more science
on the other a space hotel would help bring in the private sector and strengthen space exploration from the private sector.

I want a moon outpost ;)

Last edited:
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a kind of orbiting real-estate venture run not by the government, but by private industry.

The White House plans to stop funding for the station after 2024, ending direct federal support of the orbiting laboratory. But it does not intend to abandon the orbiting laboratory altogether, and is working on a transition plan that could turn the station over to the private sector, according to an internal NASA document obtained by The Washington Post.

“The decision to end direct federal support for the ISS in 2025 does not imply that the platform itself will be deorbited at that time — it is possible that industry could continue to operate certain elements or capabilities of the ISS as part of a future commercial platform,” the document states. “NASA will expand international and commercial partnerships over the next seven years in order to ensure continued human access to and presence in low Earth orbit.”

In its budget request to be released Monday, the administration would request $150 million in fiscal year 2019, with more in additional years, “to enable the development and maturation of commercial entities and capabilities which will ensure that commercial successors to the ISS-potentially including elements of the ISS-are operational when they are needed.”

Sell it to ISIS so it can be the ISISISS.

What was the title of that movie that was on a space station prison? Imagine absolutely no way to escape. You just need your implant, and you are ready for your new home. NASA is foresightful, as today, the US economy is strong only in that sector.

Fantastic idea. Private industry is the key to space. Government run agencies are bloated, bureaucratic entities to concerned with politics.

Fantastic idea. Private industry is the key to space. Government run agencies are bloated, bureaucratic entities to concerned with politics.

Private enterprise is essential, but the government still kills them with taxes. Maybe not in America but ... . Plus private companies can't do basic scientific research, only applied ones.

Giving the space station to private corporations is the worst idea that has come out of trumps mouth. Once privatized the owner's interest would be for corporate profits and not for scientific advancements.
Besides, the station was built with US tax dollars and it belongs to US; as in US citizens & we the people would not "vote" to sell it.

Giving the space station to private corporations is the worst idea that has come out of trumps mouth. Once privatized the owner's interest would be for corporate profits and not for scientific advancements.
Besides, the station was built with US tax dollars and it belongs to US; as in US citizens & we the people would not "vote" to sell it.
Profits are good.
Bottomless pit with no return is bad.
/thread

Very funny. Russia in 2024 plans to stop its participation in the International Space Station. So, it will simply be sold to the Chinese

Very funny. Russia in 2024 plans to stop its participation in the International Space Station. So, it will simply be sold to the Chinese

I think trump will use his bottomless credit line and buy the station; then black mail the world saying, pay me big or lose all the satellites now in orbit. Declare me King and carve my face on Mt. Rushmore or feel my wrath!!!!

I will stand outside the station and pee on you all !!!!!

I don't see a problem with NASA handing the ISS over to the private sector. NASA is a slow/ponderous agency. If a NASA-like agency had existed in the 15th century, they'd still be throwing bottles with messages in them, waiting for a reply from the other side of our planet. There are plenty of resources out there and the private sector is the one to go for them.

If a NASA-like agency had existed in the 15th century, they'd still be throwing bottles with messages in them, waiting for a reply from the other side of our planet.
The same NASA that went from the first american satellite in space to a man on the Moon in 11 years?

That NASA? Are you kidding?

If a NASA-like agency had existed in the 15th century, they'd still be throwing bottles with messages in them, waiting for a reply from the other side of our planet.
The same NASA that went from the first american satellite in space to a man on the Moon in 11 years?

And NASA hasn't sent people beyond that point in "decades."

And NASA hasn't sent people beyond that point in "decades."
Because they have not been tasked with doing so. Duh, man.

Forum List

Back