NASA - Appolo 11 - Science and Tecnology - Scientific Consensus

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

NASA really does rely on a scientific consensus. It is often more than just a simple belief, it is a strong belief backed up by -- the overwhelming scientific evidence available. Sometimes we must go with the scientific consensus or be held back. Imagine if NASA didn't go with the scientific consensus back in 1969?

Yet at the time, worries that the mission would end in disaster consumed nearly all of those involved in the programme - despite their apparent calm. And no one was more stressed than Collins, it appears.

In his case, the astronaut was obsessed with the reliability of the ascent engine of Armstrong and Aldrin's lander, Eagle. It had never been fired on the Moon's surface before and many astronauts had serious doubts about its reliability. Should the engine fail to ignite, Armstrong and Aldrin would be stranded on the Moon - where they would die when their oxygen ran out. Or if it failed to burn for at least seven minutes, then the two astronauts would either crash back on to the Moon or be stranded in low orbit around it, beyond the reach of Collins in his mothership, Columbia.

How Michael Collins became the forgotten astronaut of Apollo 11 Science The Guardian

NASA really does rely on a scientific consensus. It is often more than just a simple belief, it is a strong belief backed up by -- science. Sometimes we must go with the scientific consensus or be held back. Imagine if NASA didn't go with the scientific consensus back in 1969?

Yet at the time, worries that the mission would end in disaster consumed nearly all of those involved in the programme - despite their apparent calm. And no one was more stressed than Collins, it appears.

In his case, the astronaut was obsessed with the reliability of the ascent engine of Armstrong and Aldrin's lander, Eagle. It had never been fired on the Moon's surface before and many astronauts had serious doubts about its reliability. Should the engine fail to ignite, Armstrong and Aldrin would be stranded on the Moon - where they would die when their oxygen ran out. Or if it failed to burn for at least seven minutes, then the two astronauts would either crash back on to the Moon or be stranded in low orbit around it, beyond the reach of Collins in his mothership, Columbia.

How Michael Collins became the forgotten astronaut of Apollo 11 Science The Guardian
It is so unbelievable they pulled off the moon landing a lot of people dont even believe we did it. I use to honestly believe it was faked. I dont believe that anymore though it wouldnt surprise me.

We could easily go to the moon today. We could use the new SLS and put a orbiter + lander ontop of it...We could be on the moon within 3 years if we were serious.

We could do it for 1/4th as much as the original landing. nasa is starved nearly to death is the only reason we don't...We could do it if it was funded another 10 billion per year.

NASA really does rely on a scientific consensus. It is often more than just a simple belief, it is a strong belief backed up by -- science. Sometimes we must go with the scientific consensus or be held back. Imagine if NASA didn't go with the scientific consensus back in 1969?

It is so unbelievable they pulled off the moon landing a lot of people dont even believe we did it. I use to honestly believe it was faked. I dont believe that anymore though it wouldnt surprise me.
Viewed from orbit in 2012:

apollo-11-moon-landing-site.jpg

you profess a gullibility that is simply astounding to folks like me. But I admire your ability to come to your sense -- eventually -- ovver time.

Why do I now feel like making a Grilled Cheese?

Big deal they crashed a bunch of shit on the moon. Or the Arizona desert or a studio or CGI.

Big deal they crashed a bunch of shit on the moon. Or the Arizona desert or a studio or CGI.
:rofl:

I use to make my dads head just about explode with that shit.

You mean you were always mean?

:cool:

You mean you were always mean?

:cool:
What's wrong with questioning the stories of the ancients or modern day authority? Can you think of any country above putting one over on its citizens? Now I hope they've at least landed on the moon. Or bfd. Voyager 1&2 are flying out beyond our solar system and even then bfd. We just landed something on a meteor but it might not see the sun and power up for decades.

Forum List

Back