Napolitano Warns of Major Cyber Attack

900x5=4,500...
:cool:
US Cyber Command in 'fivefold' staff expansion
28 January 2013 - Defence Secretary Panetta warned in November of a "cyber Pearl Harbour"
The Pentagon will dramatically increase its cyber-security staff to counter threats against US government computer networks, according to media reports. US Cyber Command, established three years ago, could grow as much as fivefold over the next few years. The planned expansion comes amid a series of successful attacks, including a virus that wiped data from 30,000 computers at a Saudi oil firm. Cyber Command currently has 900 staff members, both military and civilian.

Defence officials told the Washington Post, which first reported the staff increase, that the Pentagon had approved an expansion to 4,900 troops and civilians. Another official told Reuters news agency that the force would be expanded significantly, though details were still being worked out. The expansion comes at a time when the US military is balancing decreased budgets and a shift towards Asia and the Pacific.

According to reports, the plan calls for creating three types of forces under the Cyber Command: protecting computer systems that involve electrical grids and other kinds of infrastructure, offensive operations overseas as well as protection of the defence department's internal systems.

Outgoing Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has previously stressed the importance of the Pentagon's cyber-security efforts. "We've got good people that are involved in it, but, very frankly," he said in November speech at a defence think tank, "if we're going to stay on the cutting edge of what's happening with regards to the changes that are occurring, we have got to invest more in that area."

BBC News - US Cyber Command in 'fivefold' staff expansion

Napolitano warns of risk of major cyber attack

More liberties are at stake here I'm fairly sure. Scare tactics?

WTF do we pay the CIA to do? It's like their secret budget goes down the drain while they react to a crisis rather than doing what we pay them to do. Now all we get is Henny Penny stuff from the administration when they are ready to lower the boom on one or more of the Bill of Rights. The sad thing is that a ranking member of the greatest Country in the world admits that some punk or group of punks is smarter than our entire computer bureaucracy. Didn't Al Gore invent it? What is he doing besides cozying up to Al-Jazeera?

I guess they don't like all the information being passed along on the internet. Time to crack down. I see what the plan is here. Create a crisis and don't let it go to waste. They have the authority, not only to spy on all of us, but to restrict our internet access.

Hagel callin' China to account over cyberattacks...
:clap2:
Hagel Gives Blunt Warning to China on Cyber Attacks
June 01, 2013 — U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has publicly rebuked China for its cyber espionage operations. On his first trip to Asia as Pentagon chief, Hagel spoke in the wake of revelations that China hacked into sensitive U.S. weapons systems designs.
The warning came in a comprehensive speech that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel gave to officials of several Asia Pacific nations gathering for an annual security summit Saturday at Singapore's posh Shangri-La Hotel. Hagel called for China to work with the United States to establish a cyberspace code of conduct. “The United States has expressed our concerns about the growing threat of cyber intrusions, some of which appear to be tied to the Chinese government and military," said Hagel. "As the world’s two largest economies, the U.S. and China have many areas of common interest and concern, and the establishment of a cyber working group is a positive step in fostering U.S.-China dialogue on cyber. We are determined to work more vigorously with China and other partners to establish international norms of responsible behavior in cyberspace.”

The Shangri-La gathering is meant to be a venue for nations to come together and talk about common solutions to security issues in the region. It was also a chance for Hagel to reassure its partners that despite Washington's budget problems, the Obama administration's strategy of rebalancing its military focus to the Asia Pacific remains on track. Part of that plan is to shift 60 percent of the the U.S. Navy's assets to the Pacific by the year 2020, as well as moving additional combat aircraft to the region and a fourth fast-attack submarine to the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam.

The strategy does not sit well with Chinese leaders, who see it as a military buildup aimed at containing China's growing influence in the region. A member of the Chinese delegation in the audience, Army Major General Yao Yunzhu, questioned the U.S. defense secretary after his speech. “U.S. government officials have on several occasions clarified that rebalance is not against China," said Yao. "However, China is not convinced.”

Hagel's reply: the United States wants to see China as a partner who contributes to peace in the region. “I said in my statement here this morning that we welcomed a strong and emerging and responsible China," said Hagel. "We do, as I said that about other nations, about India and Indonesia and other nations. And we do. We look forward to that emergence for many reasons but one as among them all is as important as any other and that's the new responsibilities that great nations take on, responsibilities for security in their region.”

One of the areas where the U.S. sees a need for greater cooperation from China is on North Korea, which recently stepped up its threats to attack South Korea, Japan and the United States. China is North Korea's closest ally. In his remarks Saturday, Hagel said no country should conduct “business as usual” with Pyongyang. He said the United States will not stand by while the North seeks to develop a nuclear-armed missile that can target the United States.

You shouldn't have to give up any privacy for internet security. I sure as hell never would.

Hagel callin' China to account over cyberattacks...
:clap2:
June 01, 2013 — U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has publicly rebuked China for its cyber espionage operations. On his first trip to Asia as Pentagon chief, Hagel spoke in the wake of revelations that China hacked into sensitive U.S. weapons systems designs.

He publicly rebuked them, huh? I'm sure that scared them.

Napolitano warns of risk of major cyber attack

More liberties are at stake here I'm fairly sure. Scare tactics?

Yes, I believe that liberties are at stake.

Yes, I also believe that cyber-attacks are a real threat

Liberties are always at steak but I think that it is worth mentioning that we can (and should) defend ourselves from cyber threats and doing so does not need to take any liberties away.

IOW, what we need to be doing is hardening our vulnerable systems. This has no connections with liberty. I think that it is likely that the government is going to go in the record and spy rout though as that seems to be the one thing that you can rely on when the government mentions the internet.

Forum List

Back