Nanny/Police State: NYC Ban On Large Sugared Drinks...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
This should get all the loyal Nanny/Police Staters very excited.

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

A spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, an arm of the soda industry’s national trade group, criticized the city’s proposal on Wednesday. The industry has clashed repeatedly with the city’s health department, saying it has unfairly singled out soda; industry groups have bought subway advertisements promoting their cause.

“The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top,” the industry spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said. “It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity. These zealous proposals just distract from the hard work that needs to be done on this front"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Last edited:
First they went after cigarettes, and the people said NOTHING

the people of New York put that idiot in office...Enjoy

I agree that the size of soft drinks is out of control, that is why I order small sizes, and that is IF I order the soft drink, usually I like water.
Funny how I, without the help of government, control what I eat and drink.

This should get all the loyal Nanny/Police Staters very excited.

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

A spokesman for the New York City Beverage Association, an arm of the soda industry’s national trade group, criticized the city’s proposal on Wednesday. The industry has clashed repeatedly with the city’s health department, saying it has unfairly singled out soda; industry groups have bought subway advertisements promoting their cause.

“The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top,” the industry spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said. “It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity. These zealous proposals just distract from the hard work that needs to be done on this front"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Really stupid proposal.

Second thread on this.

What..now Conservatives are against "State Rights"?

Or are Conservatives against other Conservatives making a "Nanny State".

Second thread on this.

Bloomy isn't a Conservative...He's a damn commie is sheep's clothing, I don't care if he had a D or R next to his name..

as for states rights, no problem, maybe the people who live there will finally GET FED up and stand up against the idiots in charge

I agree that the size of soft drinks is out of control, that is why I order small sizes, and that is IF I order the soft drink, usually I like water.

You can't control what you eat or drink thats not legal.:mad:

So what is legal in NYC anymore?

Not much. The Nazis there, pretty much have New Yorkers on lockdown. They're fined or Taxed up the ass for even the slightest 'offenses.' Big Brother raped & pillaged the Taxpayers for years, but he's still broke. All these new 'Fines' are really just new Taxes. It's happening all across the Nation. But New York is by far the worst of the worst. This crazy stuff should bother everyone.

Second thread on this.

Bloomy isn't a Conservative...He's a damn commie is sheep's clothing, I don't care if he had a D or R next to his name..

as for states rights, no problem, maybe the people who live there will finally GET FED up and stand up against the idiots in charge

Another stupid law, more regs, more driving the cost of doing business, it gets old.

Second thread on this.

Name a Conservative New York Politician.

You can't control what you eat or drink thats not legal.:mad:

Sinful isn't it.

Did you get approval from your congressman before you made all these liberal decisions?:cool:

Not much. The Nazis there, pretty much have New Yorkers on lockdown. They're fined or Taxed up the ass for even the slightest 'offenses.' Big Brother raped & pillaged the Taxpayers for years, but he's still broke. All these new 'Fines' are really just new Taxes. It's happening all across the Nation. But New York is by far the worst of the worst. This crazy stuff should bother everyone.

California is pretty much the same way.

It's interesting how many on the Left will preach all day about the merits of legalizing Drugs, while at the same time supporting these types of Nanny/Police State absurdities. It's hard to find honest & consistent people on issues like this.

Last edited:

California is pretty much the same way.

yep,
until the PEOPLE of these states get sick of it all and stand up..
hope they finally do

Forum List

Back