Nancy Pelosi: 'Elections Shouldn't Matter as Much as They Do'

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

What Pelosi meant, obviously, that elections should not matter as much as they do when the left is on the losing side. When elections do matter, then the winning side actually thinks that it has a mandate to do things that the losing side might not want to happen.

A case in point, back when the left was victorious in the 2008 election, President Barack Obama was meeting with congressional leaders. He chided Republicans for objecting to his stimulus package, telling them, "I won." He meant, of course, the American people had given him a mandate to essentially take $900 billion and, for all the effect that it had on the economy, burn it in a big bon fire.

Nancy Pelosi: 'Elections Shouldn't Matter as Much as They Do' - Yahoo! News

Obama's "I Won" and Pelosi "we wrote the bill, we won"-- but now elections should not matter as much?

Yea i guess they're all done with that "I Won" and "Elections have consequences" stuff. And how convenient for them. Now that they're getting their asses kicked,it's all about "Elections don't really matter." Pelosi is a despicable mutant who is not capable of honesty & integrity. It's time to give the Dems the boot in 2012. Lets just hope & pray this happens. I think most are truly sick of them.

What Conservatives fail to grasp every single time is the facts of how Liberals think. Only they know what is best for us, so when they win they do as they please, when they lose it is cause we are all to stupid to know what is best and some kind of safe guard should be built in to protect us from ourselves.

Same with laws. Those pesky things are not meant to effect the Liberal leaders, those are for the masses. Thus why when a Republican gets caught not paying taxes he not only gets voted out of office he gets prosecuted. When a Liberal gets caught they forgive him and appoint him to some high office.

CaféAuLait;3529648 said:

What Pelosi meant, obviously, that elections should not matter as much as they do when the left is on the losing side. When elections do matter, then the winning side actually thinks that it has a mandate to do things that the losing side might not want to happen.

A case in point, back when the left was victorious in the 2008 election, President Barack Obama was meeting with congressional leaders. He chided Republicans for objecting to his stimulus package, telling them, "I won." He meant, of course, the American people had given him a mandate to essentially take $900 billion and, for all the effect that it had on the economy, burn it in a big bon fire.

Obama's "I Won" and Pelosi "we wrote the bill, we won"-- but now elections should not matter as much?

You getting dizzy? Because that's an awful lot of spin.

Nancy Pelosi said:
To my Republican friends: take back your party. So that it doesn't matter so much who wins the election because we have shared values about the education of our children, the growth of our economy, how we defend our country, our security and civil liberties, how we respect our seniors. Because there are so many things at risk right now -- perhaps in another question I'll go into them, if you want. But the fact is that elections shouldn't matter as much as they do. ... But when it comes to a place where there doesn't seem to be shared values then that can be problematic for the country, as I think you can see right now.

Now, I'm not a fan of Pelosi in the slightest. But the title of the OpEd piece, and this thread, is completely dishonest. All she's saying is that the GOP needs to rein in their party from the fringe so that elections won't determine whether positive things happen for our country; instead regardless of which party wins elections the best interests of the country will always be served. It's a nearly sickeningly Utopian idea. But it doesn't even come close to what you're trying to imply.

What Conservatives fail to grasp every single time is the facts of how Liberals think. Only they know what is best for us, so when they win they do as they please, when they lose it is cause we are all to stupid to know what is best and some kind of safe guard should be built in to protect us from ourselves.

Same with laws. Those pesky things are not meant to effect the Liberal leaders, those are for the masses. Thus why when a Republican gets caught not paying taxes he not only gets voted out of office he gets prosecuted. When a Liberal gets caught they forgive him and appoint him to some high office.

Several prominent Liberals on this board have, in the past, said exactly what I said on safe Guards and "protecting" conservatives and non liberals from themselves. At least two actually stated for the record that Conservatives should not be allowed to run the Government EVER, under any circumstance. That laws should be implemented to prevent them from doing so. Ohh they said conservatives can be in Government but that no actual position of power and authority dealing with Social programs, money spending or such should ever be run by Conservatives and they reiterated that laws should be passed to enforce their view.

CaféAuLait;3529648 said:

You getting dizzy? Because that's an awful lot of spin.

So you are saying that if John Boehner said:

"To my Democratic friends: take back your party. So that it doesn't matter so much who wins the election because we have shared values about the education of our children, the growth of our economy, how we defend our country, our security and civil liberties, how we respect our seniors. Because there are so many things at risk right now -- perhaps in another question I'll go into them, if you want. But the fact is that elections shouldn't matter as much as they do. ... But when it comes to a place where there doesn't seem to be shared values then that can be problematic for the country, as I think you can see right now. "

You would think positively of such? You might even pat him on the back and not say that he was not reacting if his party had just lost as many seats during the mids?

Forum List

Back