Naming Your Child “Jesus”...

there is no evidence that either Jesus or Mary or Joseph spoke greek. Not even the angel Gabriel spoke (speaks) greek

Aramaic - they spoke Aramaic.

they spoke Hebraized Aramaic. Written in Hebrew
characters and including lots and lots of actual
Hebrew words and imagery------or you could call it
Talmudic aramaic

So what?

"Ana Ahabak" = "I love you" in Arabic (Ahedbek as I learnt it)
--- although "ana" would be the nominative spoken by a male; a female would say "ani" which is curious as the singer sounds female....

In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.
In Islam its Quite Popular to name your male child Mohammed. No one gets upset. Unless of course you spell it wrong.
But in Christianity I’ve noticed something quite odd. Hispanics name their male children Jesus quite frequently. Yet... I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus. So I thought to myself perhaps this is a Catholic tradition. But then I got to thinking about it... And I realized that I had never heard of a white catholic male named Jesus...
But then again I’m not sure that christianity forbids naming your child Jesus in the Bible so...
What’s the deal? Why the difference? Do some sects of Christianity deem this practice heretical, while others consider it a mark of honor? Why? Just wondering about the difference in the custom. Thanks.
His actual name was Joshua, pronounced Yeshua. A common name 2,000 years ago.
But why don’t non Hispanic Christians name their children Jesus? The same name and spelling as the Christian messiah? I understand that there are variations on the theme; but I’m wondering specifically about J-E-S-U-S. Is there any scriptural or cultural prohibition that you know of?
Jesus doesn't care about such things, only the cult Islam does.

there is no evidence that either Jesus or Mary or Joseph spoke greek. Not even the angel Gabriel spoke (speaks) greek

Talmudic aramaic

So what?

--- although "ana" would be the nominative spoken by a male; a female would say "ani" which is curious as the singer sounds female....

oh-----thanks-----I did not know that ANA is gender dependent. maybe the female voice is supposed to be a little boy

... 2000 years ago------a person named "JESUS" did not exist------probably ANYWHERE and certainly not in Galilee or Jerusalem

The lingua Franka of this time was Greek and in the Greek language in this part of the Roman world Jesus was just simple Jesus. The Aramaic version of the name was Jeshua or Jeshu. But - as far as I know - Christians used in all written documents always only the Greek version of the name. Later came a Latin and a Gothic version of the bible.

Talmudic aramaic

So what?

oh-----thanks-----I did not know that ANA is gender dependent. maybe the female voice is supposed to be a little boy

It is a child who sings this while the mother dies, perhaps because an US-American soldier killed her, or a Russian soldier, or a strange Islamist, or an Arab of the Syrian army, or a Brit, or a Frenchman, or an Iranian, or a Jew, or …

Last edited:

Talmudic aramaic

So what?

Just to continue the riff on the forced comparison between "Jesus" and "Je suis" --- an Arabic-speaking female venturing to say "I am...." would say "Anti". :lol:

Talmudic aramaic

So what?

It is a child who sings this while the mother dies, perhaps because an US-American soldier killed her, or a Russian soldier, or a strange Islamist, or an Arab of the Syrian army, or a Brit, or a Frenchman, or an Iranian, or a Jew, or …

So it's a child singing, hence the voice. That makes sense.

Talmudic aramaic

So what?

hallelujah----FINALLY-----something makes sense

hallelujah----FINALLY-----something makes sense

Don't get used to it. This is USMB.

So, who were 'Jews' before Abraham?

Jews.

Nope. Jews didn't exist.

There was no such tribe,

Tribe? Abraham was a man - and he was the father of the children of his wife. He is protagonized to be the first Jew, that's all. You could also call his mother or father the first Jew - or Adam and Eve.

And your problem with that is what, exactly? U mad?

so would Abraham and Sarah technically be Gentiles?

Gentiles? Who cares?

Racist Jews. If you don't care, why are you sniveling?

He paid tribute to a non-Jewish King.

Did he? So what?

So why do you care, again?

That would make his sons the first Jews, theoretically anyway.

Thanks god I'm not a theologist, practically I'm only a Christian.

Apparently not. You're just a troll, with no points to make. IF you're not into 'theology', then why are you babbling here, sniveling about a theological discussion?

I guess one could claim God re-invented them as 'Jews', in the 'Born Again' sense of evangelical practices.

In what way?

By being 'born again. stupid. What other way do you think I was referring to? If you're going to troll, try to post something besides retarded questions.

This raises an issue of why the obsessions with genealogies and the like, and the 'racial purity' farce that was the focus of Orthodox Jewish life re the 'exiles' and the advent of the dissident movements that came along after 300 B.C. or so that generated the schism between the real Jews, Christians and messianic Jews,

Messianic Jews don't exist.

They think they do, so you opinions are moot; and stupid.

Who believes in Christ is a Christian.

You mean like Lucifer? ...

and the racist nazi Jews …

End of "discussion", Nazi. Why is a godless man like you interested in speaking about religion?

Fuck off. Ultra-Orthodox and Orthodox Jews are just like Nazis in their 'Master Race' BS. Whether or not you like that is of no relevance. They matter because they make up over 20% at the least of ethnic Jewish people, and they're growing.

I don't see any sense to say anything to this nonsense here. I don't think what you say has only a little to do with the Christian religion nor with the political reality in the world today.

Don't recall ever asking you anything in the first place; you're just another crank to me.

So, who were 'Jews' before Abraham?

Jews.

Nope. Jews didn't exist.

There was no such tribe,

Tribe? Abraham was a man - and he was the father of the children of his wife. He is protagonized to be the first Jew, that's all. You could also call his mother or father the first Jew - or Adam and Eve.

And your problem with that is what, exactly? U mad?

so would Abraham and Sarah technically be Gentiles?

Gentiles? Who cares?

Racist Jews. If you don't care, why are you sniveling?

He paid tribute to a non-Jewish King.

Did he? So what?

So why do you care, again?

That would make his sons the first Jews, theoretically anyway.

Thanks god I'm not a theologist, practically I'm only a Christian.

Apparently not. You're just a troll, with no points to make. IF you're not into 'theology', then why are you babbling here, sniveling about a theological discussion?

I guess one could claim God re-invented them as 'Jews', in the 'Born Again' sense of evangelical practices.

In what way?

By being 'born again. stupid. What other way do you think I was referring to? If you're going to troll, try to post something besides retarded questions.

This raises an issue of why the obsessions with genealogies and the like, and the 'racial purity' farce that was the focus of Orthodox Jewish life re the 'exiles' and the advent of the dissident movements that came along after 300 B.C. or so that generated the schism between the real Jews, Christians and messianic Jews,

Messianic Jews don't exist.

They think they do, so you opinions are moot; and stupid.

Who believes in Christ is a Christian.

You mean like Lucifer? ...

and the racist nazi Jews …

End of "discussion", Nazi. Why is a godless man like you interested in speaking about religion?

Fuck off. Ultra-Orthodox and Orthodox Jews are just like Nazis in their 'Master Race' BS. Whether or not you like that is of no relevance. They matter because they make up over 20% at the least of ethnic Jewish people, and they're growing.

I don't see any sense to say anything to this nonsense here. I don't think what you say has only a little to do with the Christian religion nor with the political reality in the world today.

Don't recall ever asking you anything in the first place; you're just another crank to me.

If you think so, Nazi.

Last edited:
If you think so, Nazi.

I know so, loon. You know squat about ultra-Orthodox and Orthodox sects, and it shows. You're just a troll.

Nazi: The Arabs which are called today "Palestinians" have meanwhile since a very long row of long decades the highest population growth in the world. And you are not a Christian at all. Jesus was a Jew. So how is a Christian able to be an Anti-Semite, without losing the contact to god? No one needs your "theology". You misuse the bible for your own perverted ideas. A man like Dietrich Bonhoeffer had banned you without any doubt from the Christian Community. And I as a Catholic don't say "vade retro satana" only on reason that I doubt that satana is speaking out of you - I think you speak out of you. I hope you are able to find yourself how god thought you once when he made you. But my hope is not big in this case. My experiences with godless Nazis are not the best.

Last edited:
Talmudic aramaic

So what?

Only to make this clear: This song and the voice is from Christina Stürmer. She's the artist. The song tells us a story. And the children who made this video like to tell this story to everyone in the world - also with the help of the English language and with the help of the deaf and dumb language.

Last edited:

I suspect it's a combination of non-Hispanics feeling that it's disrespectful and presumptuous, and feeling that it's a lot to put on a kid.

Noticeably, even in Hispanic cultures, boys who are named Jesus usually are called by a nickname rather than their given name.

I’ve never known any white Protestant males named Jesus.

Really? You're counting races and religions?

jes-s-navas-football-players-soccer--photo-1
<< Jesús Navas González -- Spanish professional footballer for English club Manchester City

jes-s-franco-writers-photo-1
<< Jesús "Jess" Franco was a Spanish film director, writer, composer, cinematographer and actor.

jesus-montero-baseball-players-photo-1
<< Jesús Montero; catcher and first baseman for the Seattle Mariners

jes-s-ochoa-people-in-film-photo-1
<< Jesús Ochoa, Mexican actor.

jesus-gonzales-u1
<< Jesús González, Mexican-American professional boxer in the Super Middleweight division
So we are seeing a Spanish/Mexican trend here. I forgot about the Spaniards. Don’t know too many. Anyhow... What’s the religious take on it? Why the difference between the Hispanics/ Spaniards; and the rest of Christiandom?

Pretty sure it's just a cultural thing. Both are acting out of respect, but they express respect differently.

Only to make this clear: This song and the voice is from Christina Stürmer. She's the artist. The song tells us a story. And the children who made this video like to tell this story to everyone in the world - also with the help of the English language and with the help of the deaf and dumb language.

"The deaf and dumb language"? You mean sign language"

Speaking of this thread....
Baseball's All-Star Game is in its final fan-voting stages for the last player to name to the team. One of them is Jesús Aguilar, first baseman for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Here's his fan "campaign" sign....

DhvzMr6W4AEy5hW.jpg

"The deaf and dumb language"? You mean sign language"

I mean the language which was developed for deaf and dumb children. It's an international language with dialects. The children who made the video used a translation in the English language with subtitles because English is currently the lingua Franka of the western world - And they used also this international language: they spoke with their bodies in the language of the deaf and dumb children. I imagine they could had the impression the physically deaf and dumb children of the world are able to help them to open the hearts of the spiritually deaf and dumb people of the world, who still did not find a way to see the truth all around and still are not able to express what they feel when they "see" this truth.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back