Name Your Favorite Anti-heroes

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
I had my orientation today for my Master's Grad Assistant program. Within the program I can either chose to do 36 semester hours which includes 12 core semester hour courses and 24 elective semester hours, OR 12 core semester hour courses 18 elective semester hours and a thesis. The staff encourage students to do the thesis because if a student decides to go on to get a Ph. D, doing a thesis is a prerequisite. We're encouraged to try and pick thesis topics that fit the topic of Criminology, but also is a subject that we enjoy. One of the ideas I have, is to write a thesis on the theory of why the anti-hero character has become so well liked in Pop culture. With that being said, I'd like to see what some of the anti-heroes the members of the forum here think fits this bill.

There are certain ones that are going to be obvious, like Deadpool, Venom, Spawn, The Red Hood, and The Punisher. I was thinking I could even tie it all together by mentioning some real life anti-heroes, like Bernard Goetz. So if you can't think of any comic book anti-heroes, maybe you could help give me an idea of some that are a part of actual history like Goetz.

The one in my avatar is a good one.

I agree Magneto does have his anti-hero moments, but the one thing I have about his position, is he doesn't look out for the common man, the only "good" deeds he does is in order to save mutants. He lost all his faith in humanity during the Holocaust.

I agree Magneto does have his anti-hero moments, but the one thing I have about his position, is he doesn't look out for the common man, the only "good" deeds he does is in order to save mutants. He lost all his faith in humanity during the Holocaust.

That does remind me of a real life anti-hero.

Hitler. Yeah, he killed 6 million Jews, but at least he saved us from those pesky Jews.

Amirite, guys?

/high five

I had my orientation today for my Master's Grad Assistant program. Within the program I can either chose to do 36 semester hours which includes 12 core semester hour courses and 24 elective semester hours, OR 12 core semester hour courses 18 elective semester hours and a thesis. The staff encourage students to do the thesis because if a student decides to go on to get a Ph. D, doing a thesis is a prerequisite. We're encouraged to try and pick thesis topics that fit the topic of Criminology, but also is a subject that we enjoy. One of the ideas I have, is to write a thesis on the theory of why the anti-hero character has become so well liked in Pop culture. With that being said, I'd like to see what some of the anti-heroes the members of the forum here think fits this bill.

There are certain ones that are going to be obvious, like Deadpool, Venom, Spawn, The Red Hood, and The Punisher. I was thinking I could even tie it all together by mentioning some real life anti-heroes, like Bernard Goetz. So if you can't think of any comic book anti-heroes, maybe you could help give me an idea of some that are a part of actual history like Goetz.
I hate to be one to punch holes in your thesis because I love the idea of exploring people facination with the anti-hero but its hardly a new thing.
Heres a list of nestalgic ones from the top of my head

Jack nicholson in one flew over the cucuos nest
Robert deniro in taxi
Ted Danson in cheers
Danny DeVito in tv show taxi
Scooby doo

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

That does remind me of a real life anti-hero.

Hitler. Yeah, he killed 6 million Jews, but at least he saved us from those pesky Jews.

Amirite, guys?

/high five

Now you're just pandering for rep points from the Bannon-backers! :dance:

I hate to be one to punch holes in your thesis because I love the idea of exploring people facination with the anti-hero but its hardly a new thing.

Robert deniro in taxi
Ted Danson in cheers
Scooby doo

It might not necessarily be a "new" thing, but In recent years, anti-heroes have become almost as popular if not more popular than your regular hero. Think about this for a minute, out of the history of R-rated movies, Deadpool is now the highest grossing R-rated movie of all-time.

I am having a hard time of coming up with more real anti-heroes, or I guess you could say vigilantes. I guess John Dillinger, and some of the other mobsters of their time could fit the bill.

Robert deniro in taxi
Ted Danson in cheers
Scooby doo

few more

lucy I love lucy
gilligan gilligans island
mr magoo

Robert deniro in taxi
Ted Danson in cheers
Scooby doo

It might not necessarily be a "new" thing, but In recent years, anti-heroes have become almost as popular if not more popular than your regular hero. Think about this for a minute, out of the history of R-rated movies, Deadpool is now the highest grossing R-rated movie of all-time.

I am having a hard time of coming up with more real anti-heroes, or I guess you could say vigilantes. I guess John Dillinger, and some of the other mobsters of their time could fit the bill.
shoot gangsters are really easy
bonnie and clyde
butch cassidy and the sundance kid
ray liota good fellas
jesse james
tony soprano
michael coreleon god father
tommy lee jones did one called black jack I think
clint eastwood has made a living off of antihero characters

I think people are attracted to the characters flaws. They self identify with those flaws.

Let's branch out. Any thesis worth it's salt should include Rick and Morty. End of story.

Do you guys see Batman as an anti-hero?

I'll go ahead and list a couple more guys. Lobo, Cable, Loki, Rorschach, and Judge Dredd.

New Topics

Forum List

Back