Name the last rich man who was executed in the US.

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Sky made a request which I'd like to not have be buried in her ethics of capital punishment thread:

Do you know of any affluent people who have been executed in America? How far back do you have to go to get an example?

Sky made a request which I'd like to not have be buried in her ethics of capital punishment thread:

Do you know of any affluent people who have been executed in America? How far back do you have to go to get an example?

You have something against O.J.????

Saddam Hussien

Saw that in another forum when I tried to google it, but it doesn't really count. :lol:

I can see why they don't go after the rich, that would be a lot of money wasted on something they probably wouldn't win.

• Banned
He wasn't executed in America.

I started to explicitly rule out executions connected with gov't take-overs but figured that if someone knew one in America, that would still be of interest.

• Banned
I can see why they don't go after the rich, that would be a lot of money wasted on something they probably wouldn't win.

Exactly ......

Justice for the poor is different from justice for the wealthy.

Last edited:
Just watched that movie with Kirsten Dunst that was based on a true story.......... Prime example of the wealthy getting away with murder.

Why do we only execute the poor?

Poor people don't donate to mayorial and judge and DA campaigns.

Poor people can't afford boutique legal experts to cast doubt on the DA's case.

Poor people can't threaten to hurt a DA's conviction average by offering a real possibility of making the DA have to fight for the conviction.

Different levels of bias against the poor, including how jury members view them.

They are more likely to commit (or at least be convicted of) smaller crimes before they are arrested for a capital crime. Again, having money could have prevented some of those crimes from appearing on their record. [ETA: But I'll concede that the temptation to commit crime is higher in poorer neighborhoods so they could legitimately have more small convictions on their rap sheet.] Thus they are more likely to have longer rap sheets to consider when they're finally arrested for a capital crime.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Saddam Hussien

Saw that in another forum when I tried to google it, but it doesn't really count. :lol:

You said it. The rich get off, the poor don't. Saddam doesn't count, we're talking executions in the US.

It should have been OJ but you know that thing about rich men and the court system. I remember when I was very young somebody told me the person who would win in a courtroom was whoever could tell the biggest lie. That requires lawyers.

Last edited:
The rich can afford appeals therefore the DA accepts a plea to avoid the death penalty in order to save money. Plus we don't execute enough guilty poor people how do you expect us to execute the rich ones.

Forum List

Back