Name some US achievements in Afghanistan?

KABUL, Feb 1 (Reuters) - The U.S. military said in a secret report the Taliban, backed by Pakistan, are set to retake control of Afghanistan after NATO-led forces withdraw from the country, raising the prospect of a major failure of western policy after a costly war.

There's the first paragraph.

That is what MIGHT happen

The thread asked what has been achieved

are set to retake control

That sure doesn't sound like "might."

If not having the Taliban in control while we're there blowing up the country, replacing it with a corrupt druglord family, then the Taliban taking control again once the bombing stops is an achievement, then i dunno what an achievement is.

The Taliban happen to live in Afghanistan. It is highly likely that they will have some role in future government. When the west leaves, we will surely provide advisors and hardware to sustain the Afghan military force. It will not go back to the status of pre 9-11 afghanistan

AlQaida was our biggest problem in Afghanistan not the Taliban. It was the Taliban allowing AlQaida free access that caused all the problems. If anything, the Taliban has learned that the western powers will give them another ass kicking if they allow AlQaida cells to operate in afghanisytan

That is what MIGHT happen

The thread asked what has been achieved

are set to retake control

That sure doesn't sound like "might."

If not having the Taliban in control while we're there blowing up the country, replacing it with a corrupt druglord family, then the Taliban taking control again once the bombing stops is an achievement, then i dunno what an achievement is.

The Taliban happen to live in Afghanistan. It is highly likely that they will have some role in future government. When the west leaves, we will surely provide advisors and hardware to sustain the Afghan military force. It will not go back to the status of pre 9-11 afghanistan

AlQaida was our biggest problem in Afghanistan not the Taliban. It was the Taliban allowing AlQaida free access that caused all the problems. If anything, the Taliban has learned that the western powers will give them another ass kicking if they allow AlQaida cells to operate in afghanisytan

So the Taliban harbored Al Qaeda, and the Taliban will be back in power after the War in Afghanistan, but they won't harbor Al Qaeda this time.

That's comforting.

Obviously you don't know anyone who has served/is currently serving there.

Edumacate me...this should be interesting

A buddy of mine - works for the State Dept. - he's living in Thailand now, just got back this past summer. Spend almost two years there. I won't get into all the details, bottom line, according to him, "We need to get the fuck out of there now." And this a seasoned career man in the Agency.

Find a returning Marine, Soldier, Sailor or Airman and ask if it's the fantasyland you think it is today.

I have never questioned that it is a shit hole and we need to get out. Panetta said today we will be out by next year. What I did question was that it is the same as it was pre 9-11, and even your own friends will admit that it is not run by the Taliban

Edumacate me...this should be interesting

A buddy of mine - works for the State Dept. - he's living in Thailand now, just got back this past summer. Spend almost two years there. I won't get into all the details, bottom line, according to him, "We need to get the fuck out of there now." And this a seasoned career man in the Agency.

Find a returning Marine, Soldier, Sailor or Airman and ask if it's the fantasyland you think it is today.

I have never questioned that it is a shit hole and we need to get out. Panetta said today we will be out by next year. What I did question was that it is the same as it was pre 9-11, and even your own friends will admit that it is not run by the Taliban

One group of monsters traded for another group.

What did we trade? Billions if not trillions in debt to pass on to our kids and grandkids, and hundreds more soldiers came home in boxes than what was necessary.

A lot of good American fighting men left some pretty hefty turds there from eating all of those MRE'S.

Driving the Taliban out? Your favorite media outlet is saying the exact opposite, link provided in the original post.

Pre 9-11 Afghanistan was a Taliban led state. Does that media outlet have information that the Taliban is again controlling the government?

Please post it

KABUL, Feb 1 (Reuters) - The U.S. military said in a secret report the Taliban, backed by Pakistan, are set to retake control of Afghanistan after NATO-led forces withdraw from the country, raising the prospect of a major failure of western policy after a costly war.

If you actually read the article it says that captured Taliban fighters say they will retake the country after the US leaves.........doesn't mean it is going to happen

Pentagon leaders are meeting today on the Hill advising on the recent turn of events in Afghanistan.
There are have been 45 Afghan military attacks with casualties on American forces, not friendly fire incidents.
Fact is the Taliban has now heavily infiltrated police and military Afghan forces.
We funded all of their training; supplied them with all their weapons, materials and chow.
Twice in many cases as most of the weapons the Taliban now use are left overs from when we supplied them the last time.
An immediate return home with all of the troops is what is needed and the sooner the better.
Let them slaughter themselves and Allah can sort them out.

Pre 9-11 Afghanistan was a Taliban led state. Does that media outlet have information that the Taliban is again controlling the government?

Please post it

If you actually read the article it says that captured Taliban fighters say they will retake the country after the US leaves.........doesn't mean it is going to happen

The U.S. military said in a secret report the Taliban,

Not that the current corrupt administration of bribed druglords is any better than the Taliban really.

Pentagon leaders are meeting today on the Hill advising on the recent turn of events in Afghanistan.
There are have been 45 Afghan military attacks with casualties on American forces, not friendly fire incidents.
Fact is the Taliban has now heavily infiltrated police and military Afghan forces.
We funded all of their training; supplied them with all their weapons, materials and chow.
Twice in many cases as most of the weapons the Taliban now use are left overs from when we supplied them the last time.
An immediate return home with all of the troops is what is needed and the sooner the better.
Let them slaughter themselves and Allah can sort them out.
I think the problem is the economy - at home, they can not be usefull for special interests, because they would serve the country, but while over there, they can be used to protect the special interests

Forum List

Back