Name one U.S. Senator that does credit to the office.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Can you name a U.S. Senator, Democrat or Republican, that is a beacon of leadership, ethics, and steadfast devotion to the American people whom then represent? If you can come up with one you're doing better than I did.

EDIT - If you can name one, who and why?

Last edited:
do dead senators count?

Sorry, only currently serving 100.

But I suppose if you stipulate that none of the present crop is worthy, you can throw in a former Senator as an example of the kind of person you believe should be serving in the upper chamber.

Last edited:
Can you name a U.S. Senator, Democrat or Republican, that is a beacon of leadership, ethics, and steadfast devotion to the American people whom then represent? If you can come up with one you're doing better than I did.

Bernie Sanders.

He says what he believes, and he doesn't flip flop around and talk out of both. sides of his mouth.

He seems like a straight up guy. I don't think he takes money from corporate lobbyists, I've never heard of him running dirty, negative campaigns, and he doesn't seem to be in it for power, money, or glory. He's one of the few standing up for the little guy.

Senator Russ Feingold-attemped to get corruption out of campaigns, not very successful, but he tried...

and he is sponsoring a bill with mccain to find a constitutional means for a line item veto.

Jeff Sessions is about the only one I can listen to speaking for more than two minutes without the lyrics to the Three Dog Nights song "Liar", running through my head. Sessions at least gets the danger of unchecked illegal immigration.

My respect for Olympia Snowe is growing.

I usually disagree with her on most issues, but she's proven herself to be a loyal member of what I came to think of as the opposition when I was a loyal Dem.

The fact that she was working for bipartisan solutions and taking it on the neck from the Bush II mafia speaks well for her in my opinion.

Bernie Sanders.

He says what he believes, and he doesn't flip flop around and talk out of both. sides of his mouth.

He seems like a straight up guy. I don't think he takes money from corporate lobbyists, I've never heard of him running dirty, negative campaigns, and he doesn't seem to be in it for power, money, or glory. He's one of the few standing up for the little guy.

Bernie Sanders is a regular guest on the Thom Hartmann show. Yes, he is good. And demonized by the right for it.

My respect for Olympia Snowe is growing.

I usually disagree with her on most issues, but she's proven herself to be a loyal member of what I came to think of as the opposition when I was a loyal Dem.

The fact that she was working for bipartisan solutions and taking it on the neck from the Bush II mafia speaks well for her in my opinion.

did you see the ads running from some independent group, telling you to call her and thank her for going along with the stimulous...?

John McCain. He is one of the few that actually speaks out against earmarks. Hell, with this last bill, he he updated his twitter everytime a new earmark was added to it. The time he has spent in the Senate should not be overshadowed by a failed Presidential bid. He has served the office well. Wish I could say that about my own Senators.

If we want to go with former Senators, then Peter Fitzgerald makes my all star team. After 9/11, he stood alone out of all members of the U.S. Senate and delivered a speech entitled "Who will bail out the American taxpayer," arguing that the airlines would simply go through the money and remain financially unstable. The bill passed 99 to 1. It took balls.

John McCain. He is one of the few that actually speaks out against earmarks. Hell, with this last bill, he he updated his twitter everytime a new earmark was added to it. The time he has spent in the Senate should not be overshadowed by a failed Presidential bid. He has served the office well. Wish I could say that about my own Senators.

I respect McCain for that. I don't like him,, but he has my respect.

Forum List

Back